The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Remote "sessions" acoustic recordings
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Remote "sessions" acoustic recordings

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping to get some advice. I've been lurking for a while and it definitely seems there are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks running about.

First, for the most part I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this stuff. I do have some light recording experience from my band days, and I did a bit of field recording in film school.

I'm wanting to accomplish what I consider a minimalist approach to recording audio/video for acoustic/songwriter stuff. Intended outcome would be good quality video with good quality audio for posting on social media accounts and namely a startup Youtube channel. I'll be recording my own material as well as many of my friends material. I'm aiming for something similar to popular Youtube channels such as GemsonVHS, WesternAF, FreshGrass, etc.

How would you approach this, equipment wise? The more I think about it the more I feel like I'm overthinking it. I have a handful of decent mics and a box full of not so decent mics. My biggest concern is the type of interface and what I'm recording into. I've got a DSLR that take 3.5. I've got an Ipad Pro. Iphone 12 pro max, Panasonic camcorder (accepts 2x XLR and 3.5). I really like the idea of using the ipad though. I've been looking at Tascam, Zoom, even digital mixers with USB out. Am I leaving out any devices or processers I may need if I chose to use the Ipad. Any reasons the Ipad isn't a good idea? Any thoughts or concerns welcome. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Minimalist approach says digital recorder to me. If you can avoid interfaces, laptop computers, etc. you will be traveling lighter. Need more information. How many channels do you anticipate needing? Style of music has something to do with this - folk you might get away with four, jazz you might need eight, rock with drums...the more the better. What have you got for mics now? Will you be recording live concerts with a PA (assuming a post-Covid world)? If so, you might need splits on some mics... Its all very do-able and a lot of folks here can offer good advice...but we need the deets!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response! Also, my apologies if I should have posted this in the newbie subforum.

Strictly acoustic. No live shows, no PA's. This would be site recording acoustic and vocal. When I say site I mean wherever I/we decide is a cool dynamic spot to shoot a live song recording. For now, I'm not getting into outdoor stuff, but there may be some porch sessions. My personal stuff is acoustic/vocal. I've got a bunch of friends I'd love to record (hence making a youtube channel). Some are acoustic/banjo duo, bass drum with a resonator, etc.

4 channels is absolute minimum for me. On acoustic and vocal I like 2-3 mics. I can see myself easily approaching 8 on some of the projects I want to do.

Mics in the locker: Cascade Fat Head, Ear Trumpet Labs Edna, Blue Bluebird, Sterling SL230MP x2, SE sE7, Shure SM57, Studio Projects B1, Sennheiser E835 x2, not forgetting the box full of beat up vocal mics

I'm okay with lugging gear and being more complicated actually. But overall I did want to minimize the quantity of overall components.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
what jim said.

the ipad is limited in terms of interfaces and software one can use to record/edit/mix - rme has (at least) one interface which works with the ipad though.

___

no fan of dedicated low-channel-count recorders here: i'm using remotely controllable preamps, rme interfaces and laptops on smaller projects.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 03:19 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're determined to use your iPad as a recording medium 'bit bucket' you could feed your 'upto 8 mics' into this interface: https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...els/ur824.html
and then record it to your iPad via Cubasis software.
Then you'll need to decide if you'll be mixing down and producing the stereo soundtrack in the iPad or another computer ? That decision comes down to how comfortable or limited you feel doing your mix on the iPad vs laptop/computer ?

Alternatively get a Zoom F8 as a dedicated mic input interface/recorder....and use your iPad as another camera for your video capture. You might also be able to use this Zoom as an interface for your iPad or a laptop (check the F8 product specs on this)

If you're going to be strictly true to the minimalist ethos, you might consider making your audio recording entirely with an ORTF, X/Y or M-S 2 mic only approach...which would drastically cut down your audio post-production tasks, but puts more pressure to get it 'right on site' in terms of mic placement, room acoustics, band members keeping individual instrument levels in check etc. If you go down this road you can get away with a cheaper 2 channel interface or recorder.

Anyway, a few possible approaches there...with an 8 channel interface or recorder you can still go minimalist 2track, but always increase track input count as necessary too

Last edited by studer58; 4 weeks ago at 01:15 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Martin ➑️

4 channels is absolute minimum for me. On acoustic and vocal I like 2-3 mics. I can see myself easily approaching 8 on some of the projects I want to do.
Budget?

Sound Devices MixPre is a darned good choice. The MixPre 10 has eight preamps. The MixPre 6 has four preamps. Plug your mics into that, and sync it to the audio on your DSLR in post.

Cheaper alternative? I have a Trashcan DR70 that I use for my short films, but I've never used it for music. Four preamps. The cool thing is that it creates a second copy of the file that's 4 dB lower in case you run too hot.

There's other alternatives as well. Other Tascam stuff and Zoom stuff would work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another vote for Zoom F8 (now F8n). Really can not beat it in quality and versatility at the price. I have used it in making YouTube piano lessons, sync in post with the video from two or three digital cameras.

New firmware versions even have ambisonics covered, now playing with that again. Also the twin recording is available with -20 dB safety in the secondary file, max 4 channels at a time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
F8 & F control as new for sale.

Zoom F8 owner here.
I purchased two for one 16 track date.
They are amazing, and very easy to use.

I own two, only need one, along with matching it's F control console.
Both are for sale if you are interested.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the OP wants to produce good quality video/audio of his acoustic songwriting skills for distribution on social media. A secondary interest in providing similar video for friends is also a possibility down the road.
The unvarnished truth is if someone with rudimentary skill with an I-Pad will video your performance you will be in business very quickly with the least amount of effort or investment. Generally speaking the video will be OK but the audio capture will probably need to be improved to meet todays "good quality" bar of acceptance.

over the past 5 years I have been in the business of doing exactly what you are looking for: Good quality Audio/Video of small acoustic acts. When I work a single camera shoot of a singing guitar player this is what I use: A Pan GH5 with Atomos video/audio recorder, an SQ5 deck with an single AT 4060 tube mic well spaced in front of the singer/guitar player. Operationally the performer and I will monitor with head phones the audio mix until the mic placement finds it's sweet spot. Then I provide a scratch track stereo feed from the desk to the atomos recorder: at that point I turn on the camera and adjust the time/distance sync and shoot the selection. I always record from the SQ-drive a usb2 safety redundant track with a Glyph GPT50 USB2 HD.

This is obviously a lot more involved and will need video editing and in the event the initial audio scratch track is not suitable, two mixing the USB 2 recording will be necessary for syncing in over the scratch tracks. This is essentially why the audio sucks on most music videos. Very few will invest the $ to provide a high quality mic that is "camera friendly" or the gear and expertise to do a competent shoot.
For all of the info listed above try the I-Pad first and see exactly where you are before you jump into serious gear investment.
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses and my apologies for not returning until now. I took a nice long weekend and I do not do any forum stuff during my weekends

I'm not set on using the Ipad, I've just been curious about its use. I have a good friend who has a very successful podcast and livestream thing going on, not to mention youtube content, and he's recently migrated to Ipad instead of his DSLR which shocked me. So I was thinking maybe it's a good idea, but now I'm thinking not. I only have the Ipad because of my wife anyways. She's an artist and does graphic design work as a day job, so outside of an apple watch I've got all the apple products at my disposal lol.

There were a few suggestions and comments about mixing and post work. Not really what I'm looking to do. My original intent was to simply export a video that had good audio quality on it. The more I think about it, I'm okay with matching audio to video in post. I'm experienced in doing it. Frankly I was just wanting a lazy solution. I'm not saying I'm giving up on being lazy, lol, but I am okay with going a more traditional route. Probably the simplest solution here is a decent interface straight into my macbook.

But this is where I'm trying to figure things out. Why would I plug a couple microphones into an interface, and send that interface into my macbook via usb-to-lighting adapter, just to pair the audio with a video I shot on another device, when I could just use that interface to send the audio directly into the device capturing the video. It would make sense if I wanted to do complex editing and make sound decisions in post, but pre-mixing two mics really isn't that difficult. I might get blasted for this comment, but I feel like if you can't get a good sound with two microphones and a pair of headphones before you hit the record button, there isn't much you're going to do in post anyways. I know that's very generalized and ignores a lot of other variables. I'm aware of them, but I do think a lazy approach could save time and effort and accomplish the same result. To sum it up, I still have some mulling to do. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sound devices Mixpre10 all day long. You can record to it, you can record to a daw with it and you can output a mix to your camera/video recorder. And you can record it to all 3 places at the same time!

I have a mixpre3 and a 10 and a handful of Sony A7s cameras and blackmagic video assist recorders. It is a super efficient kit that I can do most things with. I have a remote rack with a prism titan, 4 additional preamps and an 8channel preamp/converter so if I need more channels than the mixpre10 can handle I use the remote rack into a laptop DAW. The nice thing about the prism rack is that I can do plenty of foldback to performers if needed. The mixpre kit is mainly for acoustic ensembles.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go a simple but effective route. I purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. Mics into that, that into my mac book pro. Down the line I'll invest in some mic pres to add to the mix. I'll just sync with video in post.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Martin ➑️
Thanks everyone for your input.

I decided to go a simple but effective route. I purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. Mics into that, that into my mac book pro. Down the line I'll invest in some mic pres to add to the mix. I'll just sync with video in post.
Congrats. Hope it works well and you get some nice audio/video. Make sure to link to your results on here.

I don't know- someone else will though- but can you bypass the pres on the 18i8? If not, other pres wouldn't work with it so they wouldn't be worth buying.
πŸ“ Reply