The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sE 8 Omnis - new affordable omni
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I have set of these but have only used them a couple of times. Once in an XY config for a 3 piece jazz band and once (XY as well) playing around here at the house with my kid on piano.

I think for the price point, they sound great. I love their size. I do not love the stereo bar that comes in the kit. It's basically worthless. I found these over at Shapeways, one for ORTF and one for XY, and they are perfect.

Still trying to figure out exactly where they will fit in with what I do. When I open my Pelican and see them sitting next to my AEA N8 matched pair, I usually reach for the N8s. I've been doing some field recording with them though and I like them there.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you're (smslavin) referring to the cardioid original sE8 pair...not the omni capsule version that this thread is intended to address ? Please don't say you're using omni mics in XY and ORTF ?

Originally I read your post as referring to the omni caps...and in that context, the stereo bar would indeed be quite useless for spaced omni AB applications...you'd want something which could accommodate the typical AB distances of 35-67 cms !

Maybe the best feature of your sE8 cardioid pair is the knowledge that, whatever their performance level now (which seems to hold much promise), you can always buy a pair of omni capsules for the preamp bodies....and effectively double their capability !

While we're discussing the cardioid version, here are a few (relatively bland capsule-type) reviews and comparison shootouts:

https://mixdownmag.com.au/reviews/st...r-microphones/

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se-electronics-se8

MIC BLIND SHOOT OUT - sE Electronics SE8 vs Neumann KM184 SDC microphone

But we really should now revert back to the sE8 omni discussion....in deference to the thread title/intention
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I think you're (smslavin) referring to the cardioid original sE8 pair...not the omni capsule version that this thread is intended to address ? Please don't say you're using omni mics in XY and ORTF ?
You are correct. Apologies for the derailment.
📝 Reply