The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading Preamps - is it worth it?
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
schoeps is about to release a new digital mic modul (which can get used with all components of their colette system) which eliminates the need for analog preamps...
Right at the same time Neumann is discontinuing theirs?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Right at the same time Neumann is discontinuing theirs?
yep - and they add some nice features...
Lives for gear
Quote:
schoeps is about to release a new digital mic modul (which can get used with all components of their colette system) which eliminates the need for analog preamps...
Wish is was hitting the market faster, and available in the CMC 1 package with Dante out. Very glad to see the movement, though.

I'm getting too old too fast,

Ray H.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
Wish is was hitting the market faster, and available in the CMC 1 package with Dante out. Very glad to see the movement, though.

I'm getting too old too fast,

Ray H.
cmc1 would be too small (i assume) and luckily we're talking aes42, not aoip which (i assume) won't be possible as almost each manufacturer uses a unique protocol to control analog preamps while only very few can deal with 'digital phantom power'...

___

i don't feel i'm getting old very fast but sometimes i'm wondering whether i've been young for a little bit (too) long...

[right now, i'm pissed as a current tour gets cancelled show after show, out of covid panic from local authorities although no infection was linked to concerts with a sensible 'security and desease prevention concept' in the entire german speaking area within the last 6-7 months...]

___

p.s. beware of dante!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
p.s. beware of dante!
Deep state?

D.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Deep state?

D.
TCP/IP headers. . .Somewhere out there, someone is listening. Probably not what you had in mind when you wired up your mic?

Time to face the music,

Ray H.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Deep state?

D.
lol - njet, but from deep down under!

i know you have been using dante with great success; so do i but maybe i'm somewhat more critical due to the fact that i've been using a bit too many different aoip formats over the years for my taste - and sorry if i keep myself repeating but if not using a closed network, all aoip protocols can quickly become a major issue if not a show stopper...

...and then there is the real concern (at least in large venues) that someone might grab audio from a switch and you'll find 'your' music on the web by the end of the show!
Old 27th October 2020
Gear Maniac

Quick update: I've gotten the SQ5 and the DT168, but I'm still waiting for the card. I didn't mix any real shows on the board yet, but messing around with it in the studio / playing drums through it, I already feel a lot more at home, so I think workflow wise I'll be fine.
Mainly two things I'm missing so far: a transient shaper and the ability to eq the headphone out, but I should be OK without.

For the extra channels I actually grabbed the bargain Aphex, but that's still in a container waiting for the ship to leave the port...

Cheers, Peer
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

...and then there is the real concern (at least in large venues) that someone might grab audio from a switch and you'll find 'your' music on the web by the end of the show!
Oooh, that IS a conspiracy theory. Maybe, but probably not likely, right?

D.
Gear Guru
Quote:
yep - and they add some nice features...
Hopefully an analog output as well. I don't like painting into corners...
Lives for gear

My preamp upgrade this year was an old Sound Devices 442; Internal power gets me off the grid, it's built strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, no networking (or digital anything) to hack into, and the transformers keep any uninvited signals out of my brain, er, i mean recording. Now if only I can figure out how to operate from within a Faraday cage....
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Hopefully an analog output as well. I don't like painting into corners...
?!? well, they do have a series of analog modules (cmc5, cmc6, cmc1) and an old interface with both analog and digital outputs but the whole point of the new module is to convert to digital at earliest possible stage...

...and speaking of 'painting'/'colours': most analog gear is 'colouring' signals to a much higher degree than most digital gear.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

There are solutions to most of the problems discussed. POE+, control, and security (network segmentation, restricted access to switches, switch port locking, DDM, etc). However, there are a bunch of practical reasons why an IP interfacing microphone might not be an ideal solution for many applications.

For instance, if your going to do a multi-mic'd orchestra setup for a broadcast you might easily have 60 mics or more on stage. Each of these will have a hostname that you need to manage and keep track of during setup; and if you go the route of statically assigned IPs, you will have to manage those as well. Once you have your stage set with 60+ mics determining which is which in Dante controller, or any other orchestration platform will be a chore if you don't have a very well managed system in place. Similarly, swapping out a mic, either due to fault or for an alternative mic type will have a considerably higher level of 'management' requirements than a normal mic swap which might require a p48 and gain change. This level of network and protocol familiarly could not be left to most stagehands unless they have special training.

I wish Audinate implemented LLDP in end devices, and reported it in Dante Controller, as it would make exactly this kind of scenario slightly more manageable (you would at least know what mic/device the stage hand was talking about when they start referring to the mic patched into Stage Right Switch Port 5).

Last edited by Mr P; 28th October 2020 at 10:32 AM..
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P ➡️
There are solutions to most of the problems discussed. POE+, control, and security (network segmentation, restricted access to switches, switch port locking, DDM, etc). However, there are a bunch of practical reasons why an IP interfacing microphone might not be an ideal solution for many applications.

For instance, if your going to do a multi-mic'd orchestra setup for a broadcast you might easily have 60 mics or more on stage. Each of these will have a hostname that you need to manage and keep track of during setup; and if you go the route of statically assigned IPs, you will have to manage those as well. Once you have your stage set with 60+ mics determining which is which in Dante controller, or any other orchestration platform will be a chore if you don't have a very well managed system in place. Similarly, swapping out a mic, either due to fault or for an alternative mic type will have a considerably higher level of 'management' requirements than a normal mic swap which might require a p48 and gain change. This level of network and protocol familiarly could not be left to most stagehands unless they have special training.

I wish Audinate implemented LLDP in end devices, and reported it in Dante Controller, as it would make exactly this kind of scenario slightly more manageable (you would at least know what mic/device the stage hand was talking about when they start referring to the mic patched into Stage Right Switch Port 5).
i'm sure aoip protocols can and will get expanded...

...but i'm less sure that say identification of mics via ip address is needed (or wanted), precisely for the reason and in the scenario you mentioned:

speed of use is king!

to me, this is the (main) reason why i still prefer madi over any aoip format.

(schoeps btw does offer a way to identify mic capsules with a small chip built into the capsule but more importantly, a way to match capsules by use of dsp in the modules, along with upmixing - at least to me, these audio functions are key, not the administration)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
My preamp upgrade this year was an old Sound Devices 442; Internal power gets me off the grid, it's built strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, no networking (or digital anything) to hack into, and the transformers keep any uninvited signals out of my brain, er, i mean recording. Now if only I can figure out how to operate from within a Faraday cage....
Mine is a 552! Same deal.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe ➡️
Give me either a remote app for the DT...
Here we go: https://www.allen-heath.com/dt-preamp-control/ (@tourtelot, did you see it's finally out?)

Downloaded today, but couldn't test it yet cause I didn't have access to the stagebox.

Other then that: My SQ5 is serving me well for my remote drum lessons and as an overkill headphone mixer for drumming. So I'm getting pretty fluent on the board whayting for the new kit's first real gig. Lockdown hit a week before the first bigger concert that I should have been doing...

Cheers, Peer
📝 Reply