The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ray Chen records a solo violin album from his living room
Old 8th August 2020
Ray Chen records a solo violin album from his living room

Hello all,

I just saw that violinist Ray Chen released (on Decca) a CD of solo violin music recorded in his living room during the quarantine. The album is called "Solace" and is available in most of the streaming platforms.

The album is great, but most interesting, though, is his short vlog about the process, here... some Ray Chen humor in there, but a nice glimpse of the mics and how his producer/engineer works.

Enjoy!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Well it's good to know that nobody needs to record in a studio, concert hall, church any more...just rent 6 mics, get a remote engineer and an interface and you're done....even in a terrible sounding (untreated) home study room. Run it through some 'room removal' software, layer on some very obvious reverb....and ship em out to the shops !

I'm sure in time 'Solace' will come to be seen as a place-holder....
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Way too much reverb. However, I am not hearing much “small room” sound there. Since there seems to be almost no acoustic treatment, I wonder if they are using a de-reverb plugin?
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Much better to use a real room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMYJmO5lrE

Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

David - all our local venues are closed...
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
David - all our local venues are closed...
Yes, here too, except for recordings, fortunately. I have done 2 new CD's in that hall recently.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Much better to use a real room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMYJmO5lrE [. . .]
I'm actually thinking I would trade off for a smaller room if it meant I could get rid of the audience [and associated extraneous noises]. Still I did enjoy the performance end-to-end.

Although I found the sound of the violin immediately more pleasing than the small room demo sound, I would have liked a bit less room. Even much more so [less room] on the piano. Most on GS like more 'room sound', more than I do, anyway. So I'm likely an aberration in that regard.

Got something in-between?

Goldilocks,

Ray H.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
Although I found the sound of the violin immediately more pleasing than the small room demo sound, I would have liked a bit less room. Even much more so [less room] on the piano.Ray H.
I probably did have the mics a little too far away in that concert, but its a very fine acoustic. I think the concert sound suits the video though.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear