The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!
Old 28th July 2020
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!

I'm starting a thread about this seriously ambitious project I have been working on for quite some time now.

Since we can't gather at the Fort this year, we came up with a great solution. We created a Newport Folk Revival Radio Show so everyone can enjoy. The Newport Jazz Revival Radio show will air the following weekend.

As some of you may have seen on social media, we’ve been busy working on these events to take place during the festival weekends.

I plan to get into the details about the various recordings and mixes I have done over my 12 years with the festivals, and also get into what it took to produce the various show elements that span decades.

Please consider tuning in this coming weekend for the Newport Folk Revival Radio Show that I not only recorded and mixed many of the recent bands you will hear, but I also did the sound design of this three (8.5 hour per day) day show.

NEWPORT FOLK REVIVAL RADIO - All weekend long (Friday, July 31 - Sunday, August 2) from 11 AM-7:30 PM EST.

The most memorable sets from the Newport Folk and Aura-sonic/Steve Remote archives spanning from 1959 to 2019 shall be presented! Ways to listen include Newport Folk Radio on TuneIn, WFUV (NYC,) WMVY (Martha’s Vineyard, WEXT (Albany) and via newportfolk.org. You can also ask Alexa or Siri to “play Newport Folk Radio.” We are adding additional stations, so check your social media sources for more details.

The Newport Jazz Revival Radio Show shall be occure the following weekend.

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-newport-folk-festival-.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Ok if I copy and post to Facebook?
Old 29th July 2020
Sure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Ok if I copy and post to Facebook?
Old 29th July 2020
Fun Fact: All of the 2017 and 2018 mixes for Newport Folk were mixed on board the Tiny Big Mobile while on location at the Fort in Newport Rhode Island. The mixes that were done this year (2020) from past recordings I captured were also mixed on board the Tiny Big Mobile.

The mixes from 2008 and 2014 were mixed on board The Bread Mobile and Elroy. Almost all of the mixes on board The Bread Mobile were done on the spot during the actual live NPR broadcasts with no remixing whatsoever.

You shall get a chance to hear all this and much, much more when you tune into this three day event that's happening this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-mixing-van-load-live-performance-sets-many-top-tier-bands-singer-songwriters.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-tbm-location-w-96-channel-avid-profile-dual-video-devices-pix270i-recorders-protools-hd-n.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-11-elroy-digi-analog-mode.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
Here's the line up. The music blocks have all sorts of fabulous artists from the 1960s to 2019.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1595530399925.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
Fun fact: The Bread Mobile was on location and parked at the Fort stage from 2008 until 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1499284460399.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1499284217889.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1595996362066-01.jpeg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1595996382445-01.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1499284575721.jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1575053906029-01.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-fb_img_1567955326559.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
Here are some shots of Tiny Big Mobile during the 2017 and 2018 on location mix suite setups.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-newport-folk-has-mobile-remix-suite-la-tiny-big-mobile-kind.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-tiny-big-mobile-newport-folk-festival-2017-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-ready-some-morning-mixing.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-mobile-room-view-newport-folk-2017..jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-glow-tiny-big-mobile.jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-tbm-nff18.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
What has proven to be a lifesaver when mixing live music performance captures let alone these big Allstar band setups is the fact that we have been mixing to picture on many of them. I request the available IMAG videos and we sync them to our Pro Tools sessions. It has been working famously well!

Another lifesaver is using iZotope for all the necessary adjustments and fixes that were beyond our control during the live performance capture. Clearly a tremendous tool in the right hands.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-mixing-tune-performed-warren-jason-lukas-jonathan-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-mixing-picture-board-tbm.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-mixing-picture-board-tbm-lsd.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-someday-well-find-rainbow-connection.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-one-only....jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-hozier-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-jason-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-tremendous-tool-right-hands..jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
The final Revival Weekend graphics is in with the EST times listed...
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-newportfolkrevivalradiofinal.jpg  
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

can you go into more detail what gear (desks) you used to mix over the decades? how about the tape machines and multitracks? any gear you kept using (for tracking or mixing) since the early days? any processing options now available you wish you would have had early on? did the time frame/schedule within which you had to deliver mixes (if you did not mix right on location) change much? maybe a word on the financial side of things, meaning: did a festival such as newport generate enough money or were other factors (such as friendship, exposition etc.) equally important?
Old 2nd August 2020
For me it's always been about the "ear," not the gear.

That said, let me break down the years. From 2008 until 2014 we used The Bread Mobile, which at the time had a Yamaha M7CL a pair of Tascam X48s that were patched into the M7CL with TDIF cards. I also had a Brainstorm Word Clock and used True Systems Precision8 patched directly into the X48s. We also had a sidecar rack with an extra Precision8 and a Midas XL88 matrix mixer addressing the MC and Audience mics that were sent to the M7CL and the X48s. We had most of the sets preset, so we needed to have the MC and Audience mics always available for the live broadcast during changeovers. So, believe it or not everything from 2008 to 2014 was mixed on a M7CL. When we mixed the TEC Award winning show, JVC 2008 Newport Jazz Festival that Aired on PBS we mixed it in the box using Pro Tools. The Bread Mobile was only onsite to capture and mix the show off the Fort stage. We rarely handled any recording or mixing for the Quad and Harbor stages. When we did we brought a portable rig.

Back in 2014 I suggested to the Newport Festival Foundation executives that we should record all the stages and workout backend deals with the bands to help the cause and effect of the foundation and all their causes. On my dime I was already recording multitrack of all the bands we were recording on the Fort stage, thinking this may come in handy someday. Many of the mixes you heard during this weekend's broadcast came from my archives.

In 2017 a major sea change occurred. Fort Adams' Casemate NCO Quarters was used for a number of different things. Our Master Control and central operations for all three stages and the Tiny Big Mobile mix suite is part of the workflow dynamic for TuneIn, NPR, and Newport Festivals Foundation.

No tape machines were harmed in the making of these recordings. In the early days we did use a cassette tape based video recorder to capture the IMAG feed we received from the Main stage. Since my participation started in 2008 we have been in the digital world from the beginning.

The processing options we used were what were in the mixer or plugins in our rigs. I have applied the KISS method for this production venture. The one thing I wish we had ahead of everything else would have to be iZotope and its wonderful modules and suites.

In reference to the deliverables and handling the audio assists, I had engineers handling different duties for me. Ken McGee was the recorded media wrangler and also helped me with prepping my Pro Tools music mix sessions. He basically got things where I needed them to be before I started working on the music mixes. Steve Kolakowsky was my Pro Tools engineer for the 2017 and 2018 onsite music mixes and also helped me with some of the music mixes we did recently. Jon D'Uva was my music mix and show Pro Tools engineer. Rob Anderson did all the roughing in of the actual show. He created the various PT sessions for the three individual program days. Dropping in all the audio assists in their proper place within the timeline of the show was his main duty. Once the music mixes were done and approved they were added to the list of assists and dropped into the session accordingly.

The time frame and schedule was a bit tricky since many of the "liners" and one of the music sets were not delivered to us until the "eleventh" hour. This caused some issues, yet we were able to figure out a work around and got the deliverables to our station partners in time.

Newport Folk Festival sells out by February for a July event, so it is indeed a money making enterprise. The Festival also is a non-profit foundation with corporate sponsors and foundation donors. Many of the artists that perform at Newport have donated to the cause and effect of the foundation. NFFI supports music education programs year-round, across the country. Instrument donations, program funding, and student engagement are all part of the master plan to engage and expose students by working with artists and nonprofits to identify and fund after school music programs and such.

Over the years a friendship and trust has developed between Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc. and Aura-Sonic, Ltd. We charge accordingly, yet I do throw in some perks to help the budget. I truly love working with these folks. A great group of individuals and it's an honor and a pleasure to be part of this production venture.

I attached a bunch of images for your review. Let me know if you need any of them explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
can you go into more detail what gear (desks) you used to mix over the decades? how about the tape machines and multitracks? any gear you kept using (for tracking or mixing) since the early days? any processing options now available you wish you would have had early on? did the time frame/schedule within which you had to deliver mixes (if you did not mix right on location) change much? maybe a word on the financial side of things, meaning: did a festival such as newport generate enough money or were other factors (such as friendship, exposition etc.) equally important?
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-fort-stage-record-rig-love..jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-big-bertha-alive-quad-stage-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-yeah-but-what-about-harbor-stage-good-ol-dual-x48-record-rack-hanging-tough-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-entral-operations-casemate-nco-quarters.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-fort-adams-casemate-nco-quarters-2017.jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-mission-control-affect-day-3-4..jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-feeds-all-three-newport-folk-stages-end-up-master-control-get-patched-into-our-xt.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-event-producers-village-video-during-nff17.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-newport-folk-2008-bread-mobile.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-ready-fabulous-weekend-newport-jazz-festival-2013.jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-tbm-newport-2014-set-up-day.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-bread-mobile-newport-folk-festival-2014.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-gazins-gazouts-tbm-.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-m-not-even-breaking-sweat.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-backstage-right-newport-2014.jpg  

NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-king-apes-decides-hang-tbm.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-backstage-right-newport-2014.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2020
Here's what Newport Festivals Foundation been up to...

https://www.newportfestivals.org/blog
Old 3rd August 2020
Found a wide shot of Big Bertha at the Quad stage from last year (2019) and a wide shot of our command center which also housed our media wrangling area and recording rig for the Fort stage I believe that image is from 2018.

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-000-big-bertha-quad-stage-2019.jpg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-000-dual-da6400-rack-remote-controlled-midas-pres.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Found a wide shot of Big Bertha at the Quad stage from last year (2019) and a wide shot of our command center which also housed our media wrangling area and recording rig for the Fort stage I believe that image is from 2018.

Any questions?
are you taking digital splits/direct outs from the yamaha rio's or analog splits into your xl-48's?

(i'll get back to your previous post in a minute...)
Old 3rd August 2020
If you're referring to the M7CL and X48s in The Bread Mobile, I never liked the head amps in the M7CL, so we had an analog mic split going to our Precision8 mic pres into the X48 analog, then the X48s when into the M7CL via the TDIF cards we had in the mixer. We were able to squeak out a better sound doing it that way. Adding an external word clock was also mandatory.

Two of the three rigs on location have the ability to receive MADI or Dante conductivity. The Midas rig and Big Bertha can also receive analog mic outputs. The X48 setup is strictly used as an analog input rig.

Quote:
are you taking digital splits/direct outs from the yamaha rio's or analog splits into your xl-48's?

(i'll get back to your previous post in a minute...)
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're referring to the M7CL and X48s in The Bread Mobile, I never liked the head amps in the M7CL, so we had an analog mic split going to our Precision8 mic pres into the X48 analog, then the X48s when into the M7CL via the TDIF cards we had in the mixer. We were able to squeak out a better sound doing it that way. Adding an external word clock was also mandatory.

Two of the three rigs on location have the ability to receive MADI or Dante conductivity. The Midas rig and Big Bertha can also receive analog mic outputs. The X48 setup is strictly used as an analog input rig.
i see...

reason i was asking for the desks being used was that i'm working mostly under entirely different conditions:

i do mix foh or monitors about as often as i'm broadcasting, the latter equally split into going on air right away or then that mixes get aired at a later stage.
i almost never get a chance to mix tracks off the multitrack though; i'm using a daw and hd-recoders mainly for redundancy or to deliver raw tracks to the bands/ensembles.

in some rare cases, i need to provide different mixes at the same time; it's especially in those cases where the desk to me matters quite a bit but also when channel/track count gets ridiculously high - i therefore opted for broadcast desks of swiss origin and have been more than happy with them - in fact, some of their advanced features enabled me to get some jobs in the first place and i do have to keep an eye on the competition (which i somewhat though if you have to compete with a state-funded national brodcast network; i accepted the challenge though and just invested in a desk with first strike capacity)...

...but other than this, full support for your quote that it's about the ear and not the gear! (too bad that quite a lot of folks are making a big fuzz out of it though, not least on this site; i just clashed with another poster on this topic in another thread again...)

funny you mention the m7cl: i guess no one is really fond of the pres/converters (and/or eq's in my case) - ironically, one of the 'best' mixes i ever delivered (in my opinion) i achieved exactly with an m7cl and no outboard...
i keep two m7cl's running btw but i'm using the ad8hr remotely controlled preamps hooked up via ethersound (and convert to madi for tracking in case i need to but these desks get mostly used for live sr these days; same for the dm2000 - oh, and i'm still using tc eq stations to bump up the desk's somewhat limited dsp power).

enough gear talk :-)
Old 9th August 2020
Never enough gear talk! Just the time to talk about it.

Regarding this particular festive, from 2008 to 2014 it was live on air mixing off a console in a mobile unit.

These days, it's all about the mixing from the multitracks either on location or at a later date back at my place.

The track count is usually under 48 inputs including the audience mics for the Harbor and Quad stages. The Fort stage is just about 56 nuts including the audience mics and FOH feeds.

Thing that I liked the best about the M7CL is the workflow and ease of use. It's just a seriously simple desk to operate. That said, we haven't cracked open the M7CL in many years.

Quote:
i see...

reason i was asking for the desks being used was that i'm working mostly under entirely different conditions:

i do mix foh or monitors about as often as i'm broadcasting, the latter equally split into going on air right away or then that mixes get aired at a later stage.
i almost never get a chance to mix tracks off the multitrack though; i'm using a daw and hd-recoders mainly for redundancy or to deliver raw tracks to the bands/ensembles.

in some rare cases, i need to provide different mixes at the same time; it's especially in those cases where the desk to me matters quite a bit but also when channel/track count gets ridiculously high - i therefore opted for broadcast desks of swiss origin and have been more than happy with them - in fact, some of their advanced features enabled me to get some jobs in the first place and i do have to keep an eye on the competition (which i somewhat though if you have to compete with a state-funded national brodcast network; i accepted the challenge though and just invested in a desk with first strike capacity)...

...but other than this, full support for your quote that it's about the ear and not the gear! (too bad that quite a lot of folks are making a big fuzz out of it though, not least on this site; i just clashed with another poster on this topic in another thread again...)

funny you mention the m7cl: i guess no one is really fond of the pres/converters (and/or eq's in my case) - ironically, one of the 'best' mixes i ever delivered (in my opinion) i achieved exactly with an m7cl and no outboard...
i keep two m7cl's running btw but i'm using the ad8hr remotely controlled preamps hooked up via ethersound (and convert to madi for tracking in case i need to but these desks get mostly used for live sr these days; same for the dm2000 - oh, and i'm still using tc eq stations to bump up the desk's somewhat limited dsp power).

enough gear talk :-)
Old 9th August 2020
As some may already know, Newport Jazz Revival Radio is happening this weekend.

Just like with what happened to Newport Folk Festival this year, Newport Jazz also has been canceled. Since we can't be together at Fort Adams this weekend, we pulled 8 hours of amazing sets from our archives to share with you all.

Saturday August 8 (7PM-11PM ET) and Sunday August 9 (2PM - 6PM ET) via newportjazz.org, WBGO Jazz 88.3, and WEXT Radio.

The mixes for the six contemporary artists from 2014 to 2019 sound fabulous if I do say so myself! We had a blast recording and mixing Jon Batiste & Stay Human, and mixing Cecile McLorin Salvant, Sons of Kemet, Makaya McCraven, Hancock McBride Colaiuta, and Thundercat! I trust you shall enjoy the joy of these live performance captures!
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-newport-jazz-revival-start-times.jpg  
Old 20th August 2020
Did any of you get a chance to listen to either the Newport Folk or Newport Jazz Revival Radio show?

If so, what did you think?
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear
Wow, what an archive of historical treasures !
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/23/89471...stival-special

Thanks for pointing us in this direction Steve...there's years of listening in here
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

My Hackintosh rig which handled NFF Recorded Media Wrangling duties in 2018 and 2019. BIG upgrade from two MacBook Pros in 2017!
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-hackpro.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Did any of you get a chance to listen to either the Newport Folk or Newport Jazz Revival Radio show?

If so, what did you think?
Both shows were awesome companions to my travels in New England over those two weekends. I finally got to properly hear a lot of the sets that I otherwise had only heard from being in the back of the Fort stage in the Casemate NCO Quarters.

Made it through TuneIn pretty much intact!

Last edited by mastermix; 5 days ago at 02:46 AM..
Old 4 days ago
FYI, we had a panel discussion at the AES NY Section Facebook page about the making of the 'Newport Folk and Newport Jazz' Revival Radio shows.

STARTS AT 1:34

https://www.facebook.com/roey.shamir...zEyOTQ4NDMwOA/

In this panel discussion I mentioned that the majority of my mixes were approved on the first pass. I attached the screen shoots of the 2017, 2018 and 2019 mixes.

Twelve out of the seventy mixes needed adjustments. Believe it or not only the John Prine/Roger Water second pass mix was an artist request.

All the other second pass (and one third pass) mixes were my decisions to adjust.

We even has a rough mix that ended up being used for this radio show.
Attached Thumbnails
NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-nff17-mixes.jpeg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-nff18-mixes.jpeg   NEWPORT FOLK & JAZZ REVIVAL RADIO 2020!-05-nff19-mixes.jpeg  
📝 Reply