The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DPA 4099 in classical recording
Old 3 weeks ago
DPA 4099 in classical recording

Any luck using DPA 4099's, clipped to a music stand as a supporting microphone in a classical music? It's a stream, and the artists want the look as clean possible. Chamber music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keap View Post
Any luck using DPA 4099's, clipped to a music stand as a supporting microphone in a classical music? It's a stream, and the artists want the look as clean possible. Chamber music.
You're going to need to EQ it to use it in the far field, but I have done it in a pinch. However, why do you
want to be so close to a chamber music group in the first place? Get an ORTF pair of cardioids designed for distant use up nice and high and pull it back a little bit to get some of the room and it won't be in the shot anyway unless you get a really long shot.
--scott
Old 3 weeks ago
You can get away with a lot of weird stuff for support mics if you're not leaning on them too heavily. And you shouldn't need to if you're not using sound reinforcement or recording a Bollywood film score. But that means you really need to put the main pair somewhere appropriate. I'd try to fly them just out of frame for your mid shot. SDC's won't be noticeable in a rear-of-hall shot, esp. if the lighting folks take care not to illuminate them directly.

A DPA 4099 clipped on the stand can work -- I did it for a flute spot once and it was fine except for the page turns. (No problem if they're using iPads.) If anything, you'll have to EQ them a bit less than if they were clipped to the instruments. But nicer mics are, well, nicer. Check out this old interview with Scott Fraser in which he mentions how happy the Kronos Quartet was when he swapped out AKG 51x's for KM 150's. There are compact versions of most good mics now: Schoeps, Sennheiser, DPA; older mics can be used with capsule extensions.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Check out this old interview with Scott Fraser in which he mentions how happy the Kronos Quartet was when he swapped out AKG 51x's for KM 150's.
Unclear whether it is KM 150 or KM 140:
Quote:
Neumann KM150s are mounted on sidearms attached to the music stands, facing upward. โ€œWe use those for the more โ€˜acousticโ€™ pieces,โ€ says Fraser, โ€œto give a transparent sound. They had been using cheap AKGs, and one day, I brought in some KM140s and David [the first violinist] right away said, โ€˜We have to get these.โ€™
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I mean, if you're going to use 4099s in a studio recording, why not just clip them to the instrument? They are meant to be clipped on close mics. And the mounts that DPA makes are the best in the industry and won't harm the instruments or interfere with the players ability to perform.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

you might consider dpa4060 instead, or on a budget countryman isomax or Sony ecm50. More natural sound, easier to place and easier to conceal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by keap View Post
Yep. Done this a number of times. Won't sound as good as a well-placed "respectable" SDC (e.g. Schoeps, Neumann, &c.), but will do the job.

Last edited by RobAnderson; 2 weeks ago at 06:49 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I mean, if you're going to use 4099s in a studio recording, why not just clip them to the instrument? They are meant to be clipped on close mics. And the mounts that DPA makes are the best in the industry and won't harm the instruments or interfere with the players ability to perform.
Possible, but totally different sound. Usually classical spot mic benefits from a little space. Clips are super-close. For amplification or extreme isolation, your suggested approach is the best one; but for natural sound, clipped to stand can be better.

Just watch out for page turns!

Last edited by RobAnderson; 2 weeks ago at 06:49 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have a dozen of these mics which i'm occasionally using for mixing live; mostly for jazz/blues/rock though.

they got impressive max. spl capacity (which is needed for very close positions) and fr is reasonably well (i wouldn't wanna judge them on that as close positioning ime almost always needs some amount of filtering).

unfortunately but very typically for miniature mics, self noise is rather high so i cannot recommend them as a replacement for sdc's (and certainly not for ldc's) in situations which require more quiet mics (such as delicate acoustic music) or to use them with anything less than excellent mic pres.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 01:01 AM.. Reason: typo
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear