The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MixPre 6-II on batteries?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MixPre 6-II on batteries?

I'm thinking about getting a MixPre-6 II to use for field recording and sound effects, etc...

How long does the MixPre-6 II run on batteries?

The page on the Sound Devices website says that the older version will run for 400 minutes with 2 channels on Phantom power with lithium batteries and the 8 battery expansion pack.

If I want to run four mics with phantom power, should I expect to only be able to run for 200 minutes with Lithium batteries?

Do the Sony camera batteries markedly increase the run time over the AA Lithium batteries?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Get the β€œL” battery sled and a couple of npf970 batteries and you should be good for 6-8 hours with 4 mics on PP.
Old 3 weeks ago
I have the Mixpre 3 and it is he!! on batteries. (20 minutes with four alkaline batteries) I finally upgraded to this https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Char...0&sr=8-2-fkmr1

And a charger and one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best of luck!!!

Here is what SoundDevices has to say about powering https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...ering-options/
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have had a Mixpre-3 since the Mixpre recorders first came out, and have tried a couple of extra powering options. However, over the last three years of heavy use my preferred powering option has been the supplied 4 AA-battery sled: obviously not with alkaline batteries (I wouldn't even dream of trying these), but with Eneloop Pros which are 2500mAH NiMH batteries. This gives me over two hours of recording with 2-3 P48 mics, can be swapped out in seconds, and keeps the diminutive size of the recorder (one of its attractive features) intact. I have not had a problem with recording music performances or for filming: I can't think when I would want, say, 6 hrs continuous recording with not even a 10 sec break for a battery swap, but perhaps others have different needs! I always head out for recording sessions with fully-charged batteries in the recorder, and two spare sets (which take up almost no bag room).

The Mixpre-6 only has one more XLR P48 input, so I would try using the provided 4-battery sled with decent (2500mAH or greater) rechargeables first. If that isn't good enough, then the 8-battery sled keeps much of the size although is a little fiddlier to load. The alternatives are rather clunkier, to my mind outweighing the attraction of additional battery life.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

We run our MixPre-10T using a Sony camcorder battery in a Hawk-Woods adaptor. A U90 battery lasts a very long time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the original Mixpre 6. A simple way to make it last quite a bit longer on batteries is to turn the screen and led lights way down (1-3) ;Β¬>

::
Mads
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

You can also use a powerbank over usb-c as long as its specified for 7.5W, or else you won't get phantom power for all four inputs.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...ering-options/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So I'm now considering just waiting to upgrade to a Mix Pre-10 II. More inputs means more options for better recordings.

I guess the standard battery powering option for the 10s are the Hirose batteries banks?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Take care with power for the MixPre. It is a bad idea to compromise your recordings by trying to cut corners.

When I bought our MixPre-10T I went straight to Amazon and searched for "Sound Devices MixPre mains power supply", and bought what came up as a choice. Looked perfect. Worked fine until I used six phantom-powered mics which needed more than 4mA of 48V phantom-power. It hummed something dreadful, and I went straight over to battery to save the recording. Emailed Sound Devices and they were not surprised. I bought a Sound Devices power supply and the hum went away.

Quite a few modern microphones draw up to 10mA of phantom power, and this is within the written specification for phantom. Phantom power is a bit of a strain in mic preamplifier design and the specification was increased to 10mA some while back to enable better performance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
So I'm now considering just waiting to upgrade to a Mix Pre-10 II. More inputs means more options for better recordings.

I guess the standard battery powering option for the 10s are the Hirose batteries banks?
I too was going to get a mixpre-6 ii but opted for the 10 ii instead. With eight AA batteries you'll be lucky to get an hour or so with 4-channels of phantom, it's only really good for emergency situations I'd say.

I opted for the mixpre-10 ii as it has a built in hirose connector for external batteries (the hirose connector unit for the mixpre-6 ii is an extra Β£120 and takes up your AA battery slot). I use a Talentcell battery pack with a DC to hirose lead and get around six hours of battery with two channels of phantom. Β£45 for the battery bank, Β£20 for the cable.

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear