The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to reduce his?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How to reduce his?

Very simple question:
How to record very silent moments in nature without hearing noise/hiss?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Very simple question:
Very simple answer:
1. Use very quiet recorder (e.g. with EIN of, say, -128dBu)
2. Use very quiet mics (e.g. SDC mics with say, 13dBA or so self noise: in extremis you might need to get LDC mics into the field)
3. Use stands
4. Use decent wind protection

You are posting a lot of similar/related questions, all very general, so some reading up sounds more efficient rather than keep posting such questions: I would recommend Magnús Bergsson's Soundimage
blog as one of the most thoughtful and useful, and he uses a very wide range of equipment - see https://fieldrecording.net/

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Very simple question:
What sounds are you recording that are so low level you are getting hiss? And is it really hiss or just background nature sounds? There is always some low level sounds from animals, insects, breezes and humans. The most quiet spot I have ever been in was on a hill in the Scottish Highlands in 1990. There was no man made noises only the gentle sound from the breeze and a underlying sound of the grasses being stirred by the breeze. FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How to reduce his?

Quote:
Very simple question:
Yes, use quiet equipment to avoid electronic noise. Also don't apply too much gain!

I was amused to see the subject: "How to reduce his?" which made me want to ask, his what? :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Higher output, very low self noise mics will help put the signal ahead of the noise. I tend to use large diaphragm mics to overcome any electrical noise. Air noise in a room dominates by 10 db or so.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Higher output, very low self noise mics will help put the signal ahead of the noise. I tend to use large diaphragm mics to overcome any electrical noise. Air noise in a room dominates by 10 db or so.
That's why I like to only record vacuum chamber music - but have issues with every pressure or pressure-gradient mic in that environment. ;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Yes, use quiet equipment to avoid electronic noise. Also don't apply too much gain!

I was amused to see the subject: "How to reduce his?" which made me want to ask, his what? :-)
Unless you apply enough gain to cause clipping, using more gain on the preamp won't reduce the S/N ratio, actually it will more or less increase it because it amplifies the signal before it passes through the rest of the (noisy) circuit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
That's why I like to only record vacuum chamber music - but have issues with every pressure or pressure-gradient mic in that environment. ;-)
Record at 30 degrees below zero and the air noise goes way down, but so does the musician's dexterity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Record at 30 degrees below zero and the air noise goes way down, but so does the musician's dexterity.
Or in an anechoic chamber with cement walls at least 2 feet thick and mounted on springs. No noise and no hiss. Just make sure to have enough oxygen supplied so you don't faint. <GRIN>
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Or in an anechoic chamber with cement walls at least 2 feet thick and mounted on springs. No noise and no hiss. Just make sure to have enough oxygen supplied so you don't faint. <GRIN>
I think you might be confusing anechoic with anaerobic ....! No reason for oxygen to be absent or depleted in an anechoic chamber
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very simple question:
Go by a tire shop and get some long lead wheel weights (they'll usually turn you on to a handfull, and make your own tripod mic stands from. They'll be about 4" off the ground.
Also get some Premium Polyethylene XLR Microphone Cables. Doing this will help. Remember the ole can and sting telephones? Thats what you don't want. If you look around you can find sennheiser electret microphone elements for cheap, or you use to,,, the same ones they used in their highend shotgun mikes. But I'm taking about building your own now. I'd built some back in the 90's, they got stolen though, with everything else I owned. I was on another thread and this one plus googling, I know they make silicone xlr cables, I have a couple, but i couldn't find them on the web, but look for them, they'd be better. If you need some help on how to make those tripods , let me know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very simple question:
You should ask this question in the Nature Sound Recording group or even the Field Recording Group, both on Facebook.

It’s a regular point of discussion.
Old 3 weeks ago
High output mics with very low self noise electronics feeding mic preamps with a -133 db EIN at 50 ohms will get you there, it's a digital black background with all air noise dominating.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
At least you don't get breathing noises.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I think you might be confusing anechoic with anaerobic ....! No reason for oxygen to be absent or depleted in an anechoic chamber

If it is sealed then no Oxygen or breathable air... FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Le Vien View Post
At least you don't get breathing noises.
Or hear them scream: "More cowbell".
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let me correct that

Record at 30 degrees below zero and the air noise goes way down, but so does the musician's life
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear