The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why use external microphones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why use external microphones?

Complete new to this subject fo field recording and want to know as much as possible. I want to achieve quality productions. Sometimes i hear people say that a portable microphone is enough. On the other hand i see many field recordists use a portable microphone to just record what their external microphones picks up.

Why do many people who do field recording use a portable microphone (Zoom h5 or so) and then also use external microphones?
Why will an XLR cable instead of a 3.5" jack input give less hiss?

Last edited by datafeist; 4 weeks ago at 07:58 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because the external microphones are a better quality? Or because you can position them differently than the built in mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Because the external microphones are a better quality? Or because you can position them differently than the built in mics?
Yes probably that will be a good reason. You can point to some specif something.
What can be a good way to reduce hiss. Will external microphones with XLR cables give less noise than recording straight into a portable recorder?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, high quality microphones are quieter assuming the preamps in the recorder are not a limiting factor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Electret mic always a little noisy, even DPA
External SDC into a proper screened /balanced pre amp will always sound better.
Handling noise from the casing is eliminated too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Yes probably that will be a good reason. You can point to some specif something.
Not just pointing at something specific, but also allowing different microphone placement: e.g. on a high stand, on a boom pole or, especially, for different stereo mic setups simply not possible with the onboard mics of a handheld recorder (e.g. a spaced pair of omni mics).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Yes, high quality microphones are quieter assuming the preamps in the recorder are not a limiting factor.
Well very possibly, though the OP may not be aware that you can get high-quality mics with high self-noise, especially where fig 8 SDC mics are concerned and, above, all where capsules are small (think Earthworks omni mics, and even the most expensive lavalier mics - the latter often used for nature recording too).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Not sure what the OP has in mind by 'field recording', but if outside, then external mics offer much better scope for proper wind protection vs those slip-on furry windscreens that cover part of a handheld recorder (but which are much better than nothing).

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have always viewed "shavers" (broadly defined to encompass any relatively inexpensive recorder/mics combo) useful strictly as convenient "bitbuckets" (i.e., fed a line output from a mixer at a conference or other live PA gig where tracking isn't necessary)... or as a "down and dirty" solution with a "decent" stereo mic. My RODE NT-4, self-powered via internal 9v, through the factory 5-pin out to miniTRS output plug, runs rings around the onboards from either the ca.2008 Edirol R09HR (still in regular use at conferences) or the ca.2018 TEAC DR-05 (primarily for back-up, and for "second room" needs) when it comes to recording music. My current "small" standalone location kit is a TASCAM DR-60D fed by Line Audio CM3 or Sennheiser MKH8040 pairs. The difference is not subtle... especially if the "field recording" involves instances like actually being in a field or forest and trying to capture distant, low-level "natural" sounds.

As always, one generally gets pretty much what one pays for, in this biz...

HB
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear