The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best portable microphone
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Best portable microphone

Hi there,

I am looking for a portable microphone i can use on the road with a very low noise floor. Will use it for sounds in nature.

I have looked in many options Tascam DR-40x, Zoom h5,...
Alternative for the 3DIO Free Space Pro?

I want not to attach any extra microphone. So the sound must be recorded immediately into the portable system.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Maniac

Sony pcm-d100 - dsd capable, exceptional sound with one stereo mic, 90ยบ coincident or 120ยบ spaced pair adjustable between the two

Nagra SD - very small and excellent sound from the onboard mics, various clip on mics sold separately, stereo or mono
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unfortunately there is not a portable 'handy' recorder on the market that is tailored to capturing very high quality recordings. There's a few decent ones and plenty of bad ones, but none are great. I wish Zoom or Sound Devices would release a high fidelity handy recorder, I had such high hopes when I bought my Zoom H6 with the mid-side capsule...

The Sony recorder mentioned above is probably the best in existence currently (correct me if I'm wrong people), but it's and older design and very over-priced from what I remember.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

If it were me and HAD to have an 'all-in-one rig' I'd get a MixPre3 and use the camera mount thread on the top of it to put an MS rig with MKH 30 and 40 along with custom-length cables. Though I think slinging the MixPre on a shoulder and just using a stereo cable to a MS blimp rig would be so much better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Small, Excellent Quality, "Affordable" - Pick two. From my experience, Sound Devices MixPre3 or MixPre6 with a pair of Line Audio CM4 (minimal) or Senny MKH8040 (same size, better sounding) on a tidy ORTF bar (if you need stereo) or a MKH8060 with a Rycote (if you're after natural sounds in mono) or the aforementioned MKH40/30 in M/S ("editable" stereo). That goes from the higher end of "affordable" ($800US) to great bang-for-buck ($2500US or so). Or... make the best of the "shavers" for $150US to $600US. Handling noise likely will always be an issue...

I do "live" music, and have time on a client's MixPre6/Gefell/Senny rig (solo piano, mainly) and on Roland R09, TASCAM DR-05, and TASCAM DR-60D. I bought them after using several Zoom iterations, over the past 15 years or so. Still occasionally have to use someone else's Zoom, and always wish I had a TASCAM along (mainly muscle memory and workflow differences).

Try before you buy. Cheers.

HB
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Might be worth holding off until this new Zoom product is announced? I hope it's something decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Best portable microphone-screenshot-2020-06-25-03.58.02.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
Sony pcm-d100 - dsd capable, exceptional sound with one stereo mic, 90ยบ coincident or 120ยบ spaced pair adjustable between the two

Nagra SD - very small and excellent sound from the onboard mics, various clip on mics sold separately, stereo or mono

Nagra...as good as it gets for mobile recording.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the H6 from Zoom and even more so the MixPre series is decent. The problem with the small mics is that they have a noisefloor that is too high to use them for quality field / nature recordings. This has more to do with the size of the mics than with the quality.
I have both the Zoom and the MixPre3. I use the MixPre with the cheap MSTC 64 Schoeps copy from Superlux. It is incredible good for (sic!) the money and I like the integrated ORTF bar. But it might be too noisy too for your purposes. I don't like the XY mic from Zoom and very much prefer the MS capsule, but it is even noisier...(the old H6, not the new Black Version comes with both).
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear