The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How's your world looking?

Well, we just got word today that our tour is cancelled until March 2021 at the earliest.

We were supposed to go back in August. Even though I knew it was a slim chance, I was holding out hope that it would start back up and we'd be out on the road and I would be making decent money again. No such luck.

It appears that venues, and more likely the insurance companies that bond the venues and tours, aren't going to risk exposure to the virus by putting 2,000-3,000 screaming and heavy breathing people into a small not so well ventilated room for a couple of hours at a time.

So now I'm really seriously looking at what to do for the next 10 months. I think it's unlikely that there will be many local arts events in the fall either.

How are things in your world looking?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I am very concerned that the ensembles that I work with most will not survive the pandemic. I am trying not to be hopeless about the fate of community groups that may simply fold up their tents due to lack of funds lost by not being able to sell tickets to the concerts that are their lifeblood, So sad.

I hope for a recovery of the arts but I fear it will be a long, long haul.

It's still important to not become a willing victim. Stay well all and be safe.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I also fear for most community choirs, there are dire warnings about singers sharing rehearsal breathing space for extended periods...woodwind and brass, wind orchestras probably don't fare any better...neither participants nor audiences are going to be rushing back anytime soon ? Maybe distancing will ameliorate, but who wants to be the guinea pig trial group...and recording folk are right at the end of that performance-adjunct chain. This from a country that has (as of today) lost 102 lives to the virus...you can appreciate the national caution involved.
Old 1 week ago
I live in a college town with a world class conservatory. I cannot imagine what life for musicians in the conservatory will be like when they return to campus sometime in the fall/winter. The conservatory has 200+ individual practice rooms so practicing will not be the problem. Concerts, ensemble coaching sessions and group rehearsals will be problematic.
I can also imagine that the Cleveland Orchestra will be in deep do do if they cannot perform to a paying audience. The arts are not going to fare well with out audiences.

Not a good time to be a musician...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Well, we just got word today that our tour is cancelled until March 2021 at the earliest.

We were supposed to go back in August. Even though I knew it was a slim chance, I was holding out hope that it would start back up and we'd be out on the road and I would be making decent money again. No such luck.

It appears that venues, and more likely the insurance companies that bond the venues and tours, aren't going to risk exposure to the virus by putting 2,000-3,000 screaming and heavy breathing people into a small not so well ventilated room for a couple of hours at a time.

So now I'm really seriously looking at what to do for the next 10 months. I think it's unlikely that there will be many local arts events in the fall either.

How are things in your world looking?
Similar. Some shoots have started back up, but it is heavy going with lots of extra time-consuming sanitizing and plenty of fear all around. The insurance situation is unclear. All my live clients are both scheduling future shows "hail Mary" style while not being at all sure they can happen. It seems to me that short of some vaccine they can't, at least not with the audience numbers that would support touring. Going to a restaurant or a barber is a much smaller deal than going to a concert venue with a big crowd of people.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Sadly the lawyers in the world may be the pilot seat as more venues and movie production resumes. Can't imagine what a top tier actor's contract will look like in the current pandemic world.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
Sadly the lawyers in the world may be the pilot seat as more venues and movie production resumes. Can't imagine what a top tier actor's contract will look like in the current pandemic world.
I wonder if litigation as we knew it, as it was wielded, even has a place in the new paradigm...maybe as a tool of leverage it will have to take a back seat to prudence, common (or uncommon) sense...and sound judgement ? A class action on behalf of hundreds of thousands of deceased seems like a stretch beyond any legal precedent or machinery we currently have.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Some universities are canceling their large ensembles and will give concerts of chamber groups instead with audience members social distancing. Maybe orchestras could do the same - just give chamber concerts around the city in different venues. We might see more of this to get organizations by until the pandemic is under control.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

waiting for the swiss authorities to reveal plans on 27th may...

- the current situation looks awful: some large theaters/rental compnies started selling off their gear (i just got offered a huge desk... - which i'm seriously considering buying), smaller ensembles are falling apart, sponsors withdraw support or are at risk of going bunkrupt themselves, all international tours, all large festivals, even most smaller shows got cancelled.

- short term options don't look good either: under current restrictions and safety measures, the venues would need to be very large to hold enough people with enough distance between them so hardly anyone is taking any risks - i have but very few minor gigs coming up until the end of this year; takes a lot of goodwill from anyone involved to get something going at all...

- long term possibilities look much better as we will come to a different assessment regarding this disease and how to deal with it: there will be no large shows this year, maybe still not next year but for sure in 2022!

(personally, i got not much hope regarding medication: too many other viruses can't get cured... - maye a combination of several drugs can lower the risk for some patients though)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

In the Musical Theatre world, which a lot of my work is around (filming it, recording it, Live sound for it) - several of the main world-wide Producers, who are also Venue-owners, have said in the last week or two they don't expect a re-start before mid next year as any sort of social distancing measures such as those suggested for Cinemas would push most live Theatre shows below the break-even attendance numbers (typically around 80% houses for a big 'Broadway' style show) - and that the Venue operators rely on the income from packed foyer bars at Interval - which is built into their pricing to the show.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm 67 years old. I sold my motorcycle in 1984 because I didn't want to risk an accident that would cripple my then-new small sole proprietorship photo and DJ business. So... I recognize risk. But I also recognize that life cannot ever be "risk free". I choose to not live behind a mask in public, especially when they've not been conclusively proven effective outside of hospital/sick bed environments. I do, however, "mask up" when required by a proprietor or homeowner to do so. I choose to social distance, especially with elders and small children, but I want the same antibody "herd immunity" to C-19 that I've had through the past 20 flu/SARS seasons. My scheduled work from March 9 through September (about half of my expectated gross income for 2020) has completely disappeared. I do not want to see "shutdown" as a viable response to an annual event. I'm beginning to have some nibbles from friends about some local jobs in the interim, which, with my small retirement and savings, and my wife's ability to teach piano remotely, will (I hope) see us through without a bankruptcy. I can't say I trust government agencies or personnel. My trust lies elsewhere. I will look forward to actual factually accurate analysis of this entire debacle, as opposed to the rampant opinionizing and really bad "modeling"upon which shutdown strategies and schedules were based... especially as to the social and financial wreckage poor planning followed by governmental fiat at all levels (here, anyway) has wreaked across the globe. It may not be fun. It will be... interesting.

Y'all hang in there. As the old preacher said at Maundy Thursday meeting... "Tomorrow's Friday... but Sunday's coming!"

... and... nobody gets off this rock alive.

Cheers.

HB

Last edited by hbphotoav; 1 week ago at 03:23 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
I'm 67 years old. I sold my motorcycle in 1984 because I didn't want to risk an accident that would cripple my then-new small sole proprietorship photo and DJ business. So... I recognize risk. But I also recognize that life cannot ever be "risk free". I choose to not live behind a mask in public, especially when they've not been conclusively proven effective outside of hospital/sick bed environments. I do, however, "mask up" when required by a proprietor or homeowner to do so. I choose to social distance, especially with elders and small children, but I want the same antibody "herd immunity" to C-19 that I've had through the past 20 flu/SARS seasons. My scheduled work from March 9 through September (about half of my expectated gross income for 2020) has completely disappeared. I do not want to see "shutdown" as a viable response to an annual event. I'm beginning to have some nibbles from friends about some local jobs in the interim, which, with my small retirement and savings, and my wife's ability to teach piano remotely, will (I hope) see us through without a bankruptcy. I can't say I trust government agencies or personnel. My trust lies elsewhere. I will look forward to actual factually accurate analysis of this entire debacle (as opposed to the rampant opinionizing and really bad "modeling"upon which shutdown strategies and schedules were based... especially as to the social and financial wreckage poor planning followed by governmental fiat at all levels (here, anyway) has wreaked across the globe. It may not be fun. It will be... interesting.

Y'all hang in there. As the old preacher said at Maundy Thursday meeting... "Tomorrow's Friday... but Sunday's coming!"

... and... nobody gets off this rock alive.

Cheers.

HB
You can choose to not wear a mask in public, but not around me. That's my choice: no mask, no interaction. That is my personal response to what actual scientists say (ones who have not been suborned by politicians), which is that it's early days and we don't really know much, besides the fact (yes, that word) that distancing and masks provide what protection is available now. At the moment all my performer clients are hosed, and me with them. We are starting to do very baby-step kinds of shoots, with, yes, distance and masks, but the real stuff of my past work, involving 50 to 2000+ people being in the same place will have to wait for the insurance underwriters and talent managers to say it's ok for us to even try to lure our audiences back to the theatre. Meanwhile, we make and stream what we can where we can!

PS: I'm older than you are, with a heart condition.
Old 1 week ago
Music is outlawed but nature is still open. I'll be heading up north to capture some nature scenes via hi-def camera and the trusty Tascam DR-70D. Sort of like Sunday Morning on CBS. I have some special mics with a super low self noise spec so I ought to catch every bird call.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Music is not outlawed. I listen to it all day, every day.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

My current live-music plan consists of busking in the park while my wife collects tips in a basket at the end of a very long stick.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Music is not outlawed. I listen to it all day, every day.

D.
Any live performance involving wind instruments would seem to be outlawed.

I posted this pic of me playing my saxophone with a mask on Facebook a few weeks ago. Partly in jest, and partly to make a point. No one got it.
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-96032134_3498783123471636_2516589138803687424_o.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There's a lot of not getting it around lately

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks to the Swiss government, the Swiss people and the orchestra committee, I’ll be able to produce my next symphonic recording !
We start June, the 10th for 4 days.

It has been a real challenge to make it possible but with a lot of motivation, it works.
The orchestra committee asked for masks during the bus rides between their town and the studio.
No special distances were requested, they want to play in a normal disposal, which was one and perhaps the only request by my side.

We'll just have some plexiglas between the strings and the winds, and some inside the winds to separate french horns, woodwinds and brass.

We shall record Joseph Lauber (swiss composer) first and second symphonies.

Salutations de Bern,

Fred.

Last edited by fred2bern; 1 week ago at 05:47 PM.. Reason: one more info
Old 6 days ago
Here in Californiastan, Governator Gavin Newsolini seems to believe any live music event is deadly for all attending so nothing is planned to open up regarding live music shows. In church, no singing is allowed. Even the university system will remain closed next semester, but you will still be forced to pay full fare for a cheesy learn at home course on your laptop from your parent's basement. Many will refuse that and transfer to a real college out of state, if they can.

Meanwhile, local mom and pop businesses are shutting down, permanently. Dreams and hard work all flushed down the toilet here because a dictatorial government has replaced our constitutional rights. Unfortunately, the voters here will re-elect all that caused them to suffer. Some are calling this the "new normal" but that is incorrect terminology. It's the "new abnormal".
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Here in Californiastan, Governator Gavin Newsolini seems to believe any live music event is deadly for all attending so nothing is planned to open up regarding live music shows. In church, no singing is allowed. Even the university system will remain closed next semester, but you will still be forced to pay full fare for a cheesy learn at home course on your laptop from your parent's basement. Many will refuse that and transfer to a real college out of state, if they can.

Meanwhile, local mom and pop businesses are shutting down, permanently. Dreams and hard work all flushed down the toilet here because a dictatorial government has replaced our constitutional rights. Unfortunately, the voters here will re-elect all that caused them to suffer. Some are calling this the "new normal" but that is incorrect terminology. It's the "new abnormal".
Better safe than sorry??? Should be the mantra for everyone.

COVID-19 has killed over 100,000 Americans and untold numbers world wide.

COVID-19 should be taken seriously. Social distancing and EVERYONE wearing masks seems to be working. Why go against something that is working? I don't understand when people are interviewed on TV and say getting their haircut or drinking beer at their local watering hole is more important than their health and the health of others.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Better safe than sorry??? Should be the mantra for everyone.

COVID-19 has killed over 100,000 Americans and untold numbers world wide.

COVID-19 should be taken seriously. Social distancing and EVERYONE wearing masks seems to be working. Why go against something that is working? I don't understand when people are interviewed on TV and say getting their haircut or drinking beer at their local watering hole is more important than their health and the health of others.
Darwin will have the last say (or laugh) there...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

1.There is a very sound reason to ban singing. It was not an arbitrary decision. Singing produces aerosols ( and not just droplets) of COVID-19 that can significantly increase the spread of the infection. In Washington State a 61 member choir practice resulted in 32 confirmed infections, 20 suspected infections, 3 hospitalizations and 2 deaths.
They were not wearing masks but were spaced in alternate chairs, avoided direct contact(hand-shaking etc), and were using good hand hygiene.
2. Yes there is a terrible cost to the economy from restrictions but what about medical costs and costs in lost lives?
3.Please show me where there is a constitutional right to spread a deadly disease. (40% of the spread is from
asymptomatic individuals so general restrictions are needed)
4.Just because you disagree with Governor
Newsom about the balance of disease prevention and economic concerns isn’t justification to suggest his decisions are
motivated by a desire to exercise absolute dictatorial power like Mussolini.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Darwin will have the last say (or laugh) there...
Yep, I am all about Darwinism in this day and age. Anyone who wants to crowd into a swimming pool with 199 other unmasked (insert your own description here) deserves what they get.

D.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here in Californiastan, Governator Gavin Newsolini . . .
Man, I am just at a lost for what to do when I read stuff like this on the forum. My first reaction is to just hit the "ignore" button, which I find myself doing more and more as my patience for this sort of thing grows less and less.

But then, what about all the good audio and recording experience and advice that I would be "ignoring" by doing that. It's a dilemma.

D.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Man, I am just at a lost for what to do when I read stuff like this on the forum.
I'm a fairly regular reader of Jim's posts, and this one doesn't seem at all out of character.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yep, I am all about Darwinism in this day and age. Anyone who wants to crowd into a swimming pool with 199 other unmasked (insert your own description here) deserves what they get.

D.
Oh, let's just make it a big baptismal font, so the Virus and the Lord can duke it out mano a mano.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Let's be respectful of the fact that this pandemic has hit different areas, differently. Jim is in California, and the response there, which as the data comes might arguably be described as reactive, is doing major damage to the California economy. When even Joe Rogan is thinking of leaving the state, you might be doing it wrong.

Whereas here in Appalachia, the effect has been relatively minimal in comparison.

The US is a big, big country, and the thread *was* called, "How's your world looking?"

FWIW
Old 5 days ago
We in the ol' USA have had the benefit of seeing 50 various responses to the virus due to state's rights. That has allowed experimentation and different results. The "one size fit's all" approach and the Chinese "lock down" response have failed in many places. Some states have had little disruption and are poised for a positive comeback. Sweden choose not to follow the Chinese solution and the results speak for themselves.

California has followed the Chinese model with the suspending of our constitutional rights. The silence from our courts is the most disturbing, they usually stop this sort of abuse but they have mysteriously gone silent here except for Wisconsin. 100k deaths is tragic, however, we commonly see that number with annual flu cases and no one ever suggested locking down America for that. Medical mistakes cause 500k deaths here every year but no one suggests blaming the medical profession and demanding corrections.

Common sense precautions like protecting the vulnerable senior population and not putting the infected into nursing homes (NY's mistake) would do much more than shutting the entire society down.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
100k deaths is tragic, however, we commonly see that number with annual flu cases and no one ever suggested locking down America for that.
Not true. The last 5 years of flu deaths average to around 38,000 in the US. Check your stats!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sweden choose not to follow the Chinese solution and the results speak for themselves.
Actually, the Swedish "results" are many months away.

Right now their death rate is the highest by far in Scandinavia, but their epidemiologists are predicting a second wave of infections late this year and also predicting that Sweden's death rate in that second wave will be far lower than its neighboring countries due to more highly-developed herd immunity.

In the meantime, it's also be interesting to see if everyone's increased isolation makes them more vulnerable to everyday colds and flu once we're all in closer contact again. I've worked with home-schooled child actors a lot in the past, and that's always been a big issue with them. They show up for an audition and sit in a room with a big bunch of other kids and moms, then they book the gig but can't do it because they're suddenly sick. These days, we're all "home-schooled."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search