The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
Earlier in this thread, I posted the thought/question whether it might make more sense to administer the vax to the age groups that are the most active and therefore most likely to spread the virus.
I was under the impression the vax mitigates the effects of the virus, or confers some degree of immunity - and does not necessarily reduce spread or transmission. So it still makes sense to vaccinate those most vulnerable first.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You have very well stated the competing consideration that the vax should first go to those most at risk of severe outcomes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
Earlier in this thread, I posted the thought/question whether it might make more sense to administer the vax to the age groups that are the most active and therefore most likely to spread the virus.

The Imperial College has recently published a study that individuals aged 20-49 were the group in which the virus was predominantly being spread in the USA (65 out of 100 infections). "additional interventions among adults aged 20-49, such as mass vaccination with transmission-blocking vaccines, could bring resurgent COVID-19 epidemics under control and avert deaths." https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2139...ounger-adults/

With young adults also being the concert goers, it appears to me that this study implies that 20-49 year olds will need to have gotten the vax before music venues can recover absent some tech solution that safely and effectively disinfect the air in a venue.
AFAIK, the current crop of vaccines does not stop the spread of the virus; it makes it less lethal to the infected. We don't yet have "transmission-blocking vaccines". Vaccinating the 20 - 49 year-olds will only ensure that less of them succumb and more live to spread the virus...no? The top down, oldest to youngest approach makes the most sense to me (an old guy). Protect the most vulnerable first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
AFAIK, the current crop of vaccines does not stop the spread of the virus; it makes it less lethal to the infected. We don't yet have "transmission-blocking vaccines". Vaccinating the 20 - 49 year-olds will only ensure that less of them succumb and more live to spread the virus...no? The top down, oldest to youngest approach makes the most sense to me (an old guy). Protect the most vulnerable first.
It might be a little more optimistic than that...although it seems that suddenly there's such a mix of speculation, hope, small-scale studies and various 'promising early findings' that it's hard to know the landscape.

After the relatively conservative and conventionally conducted field trials, it feels like there's an incautious rush and 'experimentation on the run' ? I guess these new variants hardly help the cause of careful, measured investigation.

Longitudinal studies ? See you here in in 2 years !

For today's consideration, our parents told us not to mix our drinks...wonder if that applies to vaccines too .....? >>>

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...cines/13123422

"Earlier this week the British Government seized on a separate study that said the AstraZeneca vaccine, developed in partnership with Oxford University, significantly reduces virus transmission and is highly protective after a single dose.

AstraZeneca and Oxford University said vaccines against new developing coronavirus variants should be ready by October"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Now that we are well into our summer concert season for outdoor concerts, my town is about to try a new model of staging safe events for relatively small numbers:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...-pods/13037246
Here's how it worked in practice: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...tival/13106990
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, my world just got a bit bleaker.

We've been battling a winter storm for the past week, with heavy snow fall due on Sunday and Monday.

I went out to check the mail yesterday. The road was covered in ice. I slipped and fell and caught myself with my right hand. Hurt like an SOB. Went to the urgent care clinic. Yep, it's broken.

Have a hairline fracture of my right radius almost straight in line with the bone. I can only type with one hand and won't be able to play my saxophone until the cast is off. Hopefully at least once the cast is on I'll at least be able to run a mouse and faders.

Because of the impending Snowpacalypse due in on Sunday/Monday, I won't be able to get in to see the orthopedic surgeon until Wednesday. So, my right hand is out of commission for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

I was supposed to start CDL school on the 17th of March too. That's won't be happening now either. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Oh goodness.

There is such a thing as being providentially hindered.

Yesterday's 133 car/truck pileup in Ft. Worth, TX due to icy roads is a sad reminder of the dangers that truck drivers face.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
Well, my world just got a bit bleaker.

We've been battling a winter storm for the past week, with heavy snow fall due on Sunday and Monday.

I went out to check the mail yesterday. The road was covered in ice. I slipped and fell and caught myself with my right hand. Hurt like an SOB. Went to the urgent care clinic. Yep, it's broken.

Have a hairline fracture of my right radius almost straight in line with the bone. I can only type with one hand and won't be able to play my saxophone until the cast is off. Hopefully at least once the cast is on I'll at least be able to run a mouse and faders.

Because of the impending Snowpacalypse due in on Sunday/Monday, I won't be able to get in to see the orthopedic surgeon until Wednesday. So, my right hand is out of commission for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

I was supposed to start CDL school on the 17th of March too. That's won't be happening now either. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
Rough. Sorry to hear.

At least you're alive. A family friend slipped and fell checking the mail two weeks ago, broke his pelvis and some other stuff. Had to do an overnight in the hospital, where he caught Covid. Died of it last week. His wife and daughter have it right now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Rough stories. :(

@ JCBigler I hope you recover quickly and fully.

@ newguy1 My condolences to you, your family and your friend's family.

To everyone, take care and stay safe!

Alistair
Here for the gear
In January of 2020 both my wife and I contracted Covid. We're pretty sure she got it from visiting her elderly mother (since deceased, with Covid most likely a factor) in a hospital and a nursing home. I then caught it from my wife.

My wife's case was fairly mild. Mine was much worse. In the acute phase (3 days/nights) I would feel passable but dead tired and achy in the morning, with symptoms getting worse as the day wore on. By night I was having trouble catching a full breath. I was determined to not go to the hospital, so I would just lie in bed and try not to move at all. Luckily, after the third night of this I started to recover.

I had been earning a decent living as a freelance videographer (mostly filming depositions for attorneys), but in February 2020 the work dried up. I was 66 years old and on full Social Security, but planned to work another 2 - 5 years, partly because I enjoyed the work, and partly because I planned to use some of the money for studio upgrades. But I now had to contend with lasting heart, lung, and kidney damage due to Covid, and even now, a year later, I still suffer from brain fog. There's no way I could stand the rigors of being a freelance videographer...the early hours, the travel, the stress, the need to always be alert and never make a mistake.

Nor did I want to risk re-exposure to the virus. I'm not at all certain my previous exposure has made me immune.

My wife had been trying to convince me to retire for several years, and I finally went with the flow. My understanding is that there is now occasional work to be had, but I have no intention of being among those doing it.

On the plus side, I did have enough money saved for some serious studio upgrades...a powerful new computer, a Les Paul 2020, an Eventide H9000R, and various other toys. So now I spend my days in my studio, happily going wherever my ears and the technology lead me. One could do worse.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm very sorry to hear of our OP, Mr. Bigler's injury right when he had a "plan" going. I hope you heal fast, and that the trucking thing can still happen after that if you want it to. I'm still confused about when the people who matter think there will be live performances again, and what they will look like when they do happen, so having a Plan B (at least) is a good move for someone with responsibilities. Mr. HangdogCat's experience is exactly why I have been paranoidly hunkered down @ home, and may continue to be for another year. It is possible that when the smoke clears that the freelance world will have definitively passed me by, but I'm also sure that a bad case of Covid like that would have the same effect on me, ending my usefulness as a location recordist. Meanwhile, all sorts of new developments in filmmaking and recording, including Sound Devices+ frame i.o's announcement of their automatic cloud media delivery systems. What will that mean for freelance sound recording work?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
busy recording orchestras and ensembles, hardly any broadcasts though - next couple of live shows (various jazz ensembles) are scheduled for april; not yet sure/i doubt they'll go ahead though...

...and then i met this guy (see pic) in the park this morning - on current occasion, i call him rupert.
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-20210213_134206.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…