The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The article quotes the buyer as saying he'd have paid $40 million if he had to.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
The article quotes the buyer as saying he'd have paid $40 million if he had to.
"While money doesn’t talk, it swears

Obscenity, who really cares...." Bob Dylan, 1965
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
That's a pretty good Covid work+career+business derailment story, and I particularly appreciate your admission that many things taken away by the virus, in addition to lives, will not come back. This is especially true for freelancers and small shops of all kinds, people who were not "laid off by bosses" so much as "shut down and abandoned by fleeing clients ". Like you I'm not sure at all that I can get traction again in the income producing work I was doing, while the freebe-sector is booming, of course. I'm impressed by your plans to attempt a marriage of your interests and experience to make a life for yourself going forward--I wish I had all those skills to call upon!
The video was completed, live-streamed to around 200 fans, and has gotten about 7000 hits so far. That's good.

https://www.facebook.com/jamboxindy/...2819711890314/

I added a JBL sub to the studio's live room monitor system. That involved moving some amps around, which now lands my two heaviest ones fixed, and all the newer light weight amps deployable for live gigs. That's good too.

I needed a crossover for the live room monitors, but that search went very south, very quick. Searching for a once visited music store, I... discovered... that that area of town protects bicycle lanes with 5 foot tall, 5 inch diameter steel pipes, concrete filled, and set in deep reinforced concrete...

...in the middle of the road...

...at 35 mph.

Scratch one van. Bags and belts kept my injuries down to scrapes and bruises, but the biggest casualty was two pickup trucks full of tools and equipment from the van that had no place to roost, except in my studio live and tracking rooms, blocking all access.

Pretty grim coupla weeks, corona, riots, totalled vehicle, no studio.... but both rooms are largely open again, equipment organized, just details to sort out now.

I just ordered the cables, fiber optics, and patchbay for the live-stream rig, I expect candy by Friday, and the I7 and Pro-40 should find their way into the road case this weekend.

I'll have lights, light controllers, PA, racks n stacks, and the livestream A/V rig all in one room, setup permanent for programming and tuning, but near the main exit and configged for quick disconnect/reconnect before and after gigs.

With lightweight amps!

And... the live room monitors went from a 2 x 250 watt power scheme, to a 2 x 1000 watt... plus 1x 1200 watt bridged power scheme. I need to tune it, but it already sounds good, and there's no shortage of dB's!

It's nice to be moving forward again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I second every bit of that.

My main day gig, producing radio commercials, is kaput largely because up until now most people heard radio in their cars and now nobody drives. Income source #2 for the last while has been mixing either FOH or live-streaming at small LA venues. Some of that should come back eventually. The third part, mixing records, was always a tiny slice of the pie. Now it's a bigger proportion, but the pie is way smaller. I think the main thing is that we're all Quality Guys and we'll figure something out.
Yep... we will.

Just before my.... sudden halt (see previous post)... I picked up a nice rack at my old workplace.

One power suppy/controller, and 5 four-by mic splitter units. All BSS, each with 4 transformer isolated split-outs, and... 20 of the nicest pre-amps I've heard.

$200.

I had tested those for my old boss, prepping for sale, and thought he'd ask a LOT more for them, but I'm glad to have them and he's glad they're gone.

Double duty for me... 20 extra pres for the studio, as well as 20 splitters for live gig audio capture for the livestream A/V rig. If I can't get what I need from the band's FOH console.

The clubs and venues here (Indianapolis) received permission to open at 50% this last weekend. I plan a hard look at Covid numbers, and attendance figures, on July 15.

Those numbers will probably be the deciding factor on where my efforts focus for the next 1 to 2 years.

Right now, current numbers aren't too bad. Global, week over week total cases at 1.13X last week's figure, which was 1.12X over the week before.

0.01X up-tick.

US... 1.09X this week, up 0.01X from last.

Indiana... 1.05X, down from 1.07X the week before.

Whatever the primary transmission vectors turn out to be, the outdoor protests have had little effect, so maybe outdoor gigs can resume earlier and safer than we feared.

Hang in there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a new and some what confusing (to me) non-logic abroad in the culture right now, about what the current infection+death numbers mean, vs. where the development of a vaccine is at vs. everyone's desire to move on. Yesterday I had a client who is more elderly than I more or less insist that we had to mix her project very soon in a small space with ventilation I would describe as "only ok" and at least one and maybe 2 other people in the room. I had a "did I miss a meeting?" moment. Did something about the infectiousness of the virus and the advisability of hanging closely with people from different household "germ pools" suddenly change? I guess it is down to me to say "no" or "not yet" to that request, but looking ahead I can see that something like what this client wants will have to be accommodated somehow, but I don't see how we can do it safely at the moment.

Zoom.

You may need to spend some $$.

Here, I have an audio I7 and a video I7 in the CR. Vid on the net, Audio not, but on it's own LAN with the other studio PCs.

Running V-Mix and/or OBS on the vid I7, those feed Zoom just fine. Audio comes thru its PC then to the vid box.

Both run Tight VNC, and the audio PC has an HDMI output which feeds a Magewell HDMI/USB converter, then the vidbox.

Every mic and input in the studio available at the CR audio PC, mixdowns from there to the vidbox.

Every PC desktop in the studio available at the audio PC, thence to the vidbox via HDMI, "online" but not online.

Studio cams feed the vidbox.

If I decide to stay germ free here... clients can get their Zoom rigs up to spec and remote with me... or go infect others, elsewhere.

I watched a family member get worked to death, literally, by a ventilator, back in 2004.

No thanks. Sorry.

:-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Good news is you immediately saw the problem with the battery and your house didn't burn down in the middle of the night.
I had an early MacBook wick up a tiny drop of moisture from my car seat into the battery compartment and start smoking while I was doing 75 down the Holywood Freeway. That was a moment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't have the market or the skills to go where you have gone, re: making a live-stream studio. Some of my location music recording for video work has come back, all outdoors, masked, distanced and sanitized to the extent it can be and still get anything done. The results will be edited and streamed. My clients have pretty much all voted to not do "live" streaming, and instead make finished videos for appointment viewing. This makes the scheduling of the players and locations a whole lot easier, as you know. Zoom has been a binary thing for me as far as remote mix sessions have gone: either it works ok as a 1-way send from my DAW of sound and picture, while we use phones as the talk-back with the computer mics muted in Zoom, or it blows completely and the sync is very bad. Much depends on the internet service of the person at the other end, if they are on a computer or an iPad and if they are plugged in via ethernet cable or are using whatever wifi they have. Many of them WANT to go wifi+iPad, but that has been the least reliable mode so far. I can't fix their web service, so we always have to send a demo video of the project to them in any case. The Hollywood folks may be doing well with Evercast streams to producers with professionally set up home viewing rooms, but for lesser projects this whole deal is still a work in progress.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The perception is, as usual, "some can, therefore everybody should..."

I provided two switched cameras for a very nice outdoor memorial service recently (open "shed", spatial distancing was observed) and was amazed that everything worked pretty much as it should with live cameras (I supplied a HDMI feed out of my upstream switcher), three live Zoom-ins, and a prerecorded message from a family member in China, who had trouble just getting a live signal out of the country on the test session. Watching my colleague juggle three Macs, video control to webcast and a monitor for the attendees, the audio desk (2 mics, audio-from-video roll, walk-in music) and install the 200' WiFi link to the closest house made me very happy to have been a "supplier" rather than a "producer" on this go'round.

My hat is doffed to any of you straddling A/V/Internet on live events. Makes me wish I was 20 years younger...

...well... maybe not. Expectations for "fast, cheap, easy" results have never been higher.

Go forth, and do good work!

HB

Last edited by hbphotoav; 2 weeks ago at 08:17 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've always heard that "Fast, Cheap or Good. Pick 2" And yes, it still applys even today.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I've always heard that "Fast, Cheap or Good. Pick 2" And yes, it still applys even today.

D.
The preponderance of what I've seen online and on TV (local news, especially) seems to have had "easy" as the primary operational consideration. Some folks (like mandolinist Sierra Hull) get it. Most do not.

It wasn't great before Covid-ness... now it's worse. Ah, well.

HB
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Update:
Our symphonic sessions were last month, more than 3 weeks, everybody is fine.
Old 22 hours ago
The tech biz is super busy right now. I guess everyone now has some time off to take care of those things. It reminds me of that old saying I heard at Cal State back in 1974:

"Too many mixers, not enough fixers".
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Now in early July, serious video shoots have started up with varying degrees of care about distancing, sani and "hold harmless" doc BS. As ever, how those shoots are setup and run is down to the views and personalities of the producers and directors, and to a lesser extent the DPs. Many of the shoots are happening below the city-enforcement radar, in unlikely and isolated places, or very small but not in plain sight. The protocols are burdensome, to say the least. I'm watching to see if productions and crews normalize them and move forward or start to blow them off due to cost and hassle.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

planning for any kind of production is a nightmare with constantly shifting targets during the 'ccc' (aka current covid craze) - i went hiking high up in the alps after a newly scheduled recording got postponed again...
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now in early July, serious video shoots have started up with varying degrees of care about distancing, sani and "hold harmless" doc BS. As ever, how those shoots are setup and run is down to the views and personalities of the producers and directors, and to a lesser extent the DPs. Many of the shoots are happening below the city-enforcement radar, in unlikely and isolated places, or very small but not in plain sight. The protocols are burdensome, to say the least. I'm watching to see if productions and crews normalize them and move forward or start to blow them off due to cost and hassle.
Many mobile stages were idle around Indianapolis during the lockdown. One friend was pulling shrink wrap off an SL-100 when the order came down. They had no idea how they were going to make the payments.

A different SL-100 owner and a band leader I've crewed with and shot video for got together, and set up the stage in his production warehouse, for the purpose of making a band video, then opening the service to other bands.

The first delay set the test shoot back two weeks. Keyboard's wife had been working with a tested positive.

We shot test video while limited to 10 person gatherings. At this point, you couldn't find PPE or sanitizer anywhere. Plenty of space, we just kept our distance.

At this point, the band leader's live in daughter, a nurse at a senior facility, tested positive. We got the news on a Monday, after the band leader and I had been working together in fairly close proximity for about 10 hours the previous week.

That made it all pretty real for all of us... right here, right now...before it had been "out there." We went into self imposed hard lockdown for two weeks, nobody developed symptoms, then we had the shoot, one day and done, 5 band, 1 FOH, 1 LD, myself, and for part of it, a band leader scheduled for the second shoot.

Warehouse is 60x120', plenty of room to distance.

Band leader and I edited video in my CR, bite the bullet, we spent 6 evenings about 4 feet apart.

Second project delayed indefinitely due to guitarist losing a family member, non-covid.

First video went up at a band-only gathering, we live streamed it on FB with about 8 people in attendance. Around 200 fans during the stream, video got 7000 hits within 3 days.

We finally got it up on Youtube with better audio snd in HD, but haven't publicised it yet.

https://youtu.be/2nv__kSTnPc

I did security for a gig the other SL-100 owner ran last weekend on the 4th. Good spacing, as it was hot as hell noon to 5pm, then a sudden storm lofted tents, soaked gear, and ended the show begore the July 4th crowd made it on site.

I'm supposed to do a multicam + buss audio capture and live stream in late September, a repeat of the July 4th gig, where all profiits go to local musicians, but that's on the sched in pretty light pencil, as they've delayed re-opening and just laid down a mandatory mask order yesterday.

I was supposed to do a multicam live capture for the first band and another top local act this weekend, but since we're still capped at 250 max, that got cancelled. It would have gone 2k-ish in normal times. Second of those two has a street fest on the books for the 27th, nobody knows if it will go or not.

Up against at least 4 obstacles these days.

1. Normal life.

2. Covid proximity.

3. Legislative restrictions.

4. Fan interest.

July 4th wasn't great data. Last year my 4th gig didn't get going till dinner time. This year, we got rained out before I could tell if crowds will even show up.

And now, new gigs are cancelling again.

Day by day.

That's all there is, anymore.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many mobile stages were idle around Indianapolis during the lockdown. One friend was pulling shrink wrap off an SL-100 when the order came down. They had no idea how they were going to make the payments.

A different SL-100 owner and a band leader I've crewed with and shot video for got together, and set up the stage in his production warehouse, for the purpose of making a band video, then opening the service to other bands.

The first delay set the test shoot back two weeks. Keyboard's wife had been working with a tested positive.

We shot test video while limited to 10 person gatherings. At this point, you couldn't find PPE or sanitizer anywhere. Plenty of space, we just kept our distance.

At this point, the band leader's live in daughter, a nurse at a senior facility, tested positive. We got the news on a Monday, after the band leader and I had been working together in fairly close proximity for about 10 hours the previous week.

That made it all pretty real for all of us... right here, right now...before it had been "out there." We went into self imposed hard lockdown for two weeks, nobody developed symptoms, then we had the shoot, one day and done, 5 band, 1 FOH, 1 LD, myself, and for part of it, a band leader scheduled for the second shoot.

Warehouse is 60x120', plenty of room to distance.

Band leader and I edited video in my CR, bite the bullet, we spent 6 evenings about 4 feet apart.

Second project delayed indefinitely due to guitarist losing a family member, non-covid.

First video went up at a band-only gathering, we live streamed it on FB with about 8 people in attendance. Around 200 fans during the stream, video got 7000 hits within 3 days.

We finally got it up on Youtube with better audio snd in HD, but haven't publicised it yet.

https://youtu.be/2nv__kSTnPc

I did security for a gig the other SL-100 owner ran last weekend on the 4th. Good spacing, as it was hot as hell noon to 5pm, then a sudden storm lofted tents, soaked gear, and ended the show begore the July 4th crowd made it on site.

I'm supposed to do a multicam + buss audio capture and live stream in late September, a repeat of the July 4th gig, where all profiits go to local musicians, but that's on the sched in pretty light pencil, as they've delayed full re-opening and just laid down a mandatory mask order yesterday.

I was supposed to do a multicam live capture for the first band and another top local act this weekend, but since we're still capped at 250 max, that got cancelled. It would have gone 2k-ish in normal times. Second of those two has a street fest I'm supposed to shoot on the books for the 27th, nobody knows if it will go or not. It's one mile outside the mandatory mask boundaries, and the state is still in cobbled up Phase 4.5 re-opening, 250 cap, no word when or if Phase 5 (wide open) happens now.

Up against at least 4 obstacles these days.

1. Normal life.

2. Covid proximity.

3. Legislative restrictions.

4. Fan interest.

July 4th wasn't great data. Last year my 4th gig didn't get going till dinner time. This year, we got rained out before I could tell if crowds will even show up.

And now, new gigs are cancelling again.

Day by day.

That's all there is, anymore.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear