The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 4 days ago
Can't wait for the next set of "predictions" from the so called experts that have been proven wrong on most of their previous predictions. A little horse sense (common sense isn't very common here) would go a long way without blindly accepting the advice of those that have been proven wrong.

Besides, now we seem to have bigger issues here taking the virus off the front pages. Look how quickly the media changes it's reporting when a new crisis erupts. Got to keep the masses afraid and tuned in.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
We in the ol' USA have had the benefit of seeing 50 various responses to the virus due to state's rights. That has allowed experimentation and different results. The "one size fit's all" approach and the Chinese "lock down" response have failed in many places. Some states have had little disruption and are poised for a positive comeback (...)
although there was a lot of copying in the beginning, states and regions in europe are handling things much differently: in switzerland for instance, there hasn't been any 'lockdown' (while in spain, restrictions were very tough) - however, since my little country heavily depends on international trade and its local market is very small, economical impact was almost as severe as if there would have been a strict lockdown...

we failed at protecting the most vulnerable people too and we still haven't developed adequate measures to leave some more options for those being less likely affected - as pretty much anyone else around here.

should things get worse again, i imagine the will of this group of people to submit to restrictions again will be very low and the political 'outfall' won't be very nice!

there has been (what i consider) excellent (aka more liberal) advice from experts: too bad those folks weren't paid much attention and politics/government has chosen to go as seemingly more safe route.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm building a live streaming rig around a Core i7 desktop, running V-Mix and hosting a Saffire Pro-40, with two Core i5 laptops on the front end as camera aggregators.

On the plus side, four Sony HD Handi-cams that never fed video to the studio's video PC without freezing... feed the laptops perfectly. An unexpected bonus, because many other cameras are unavailable now, due to work from home business buying them all up.

Also on the plus side, the I7 is set up for double duty in the studio when not out on shoots, and is acting as a major node on a distributed processing "synth farm" network.

On the not so plus side, I spent 20 years in heavy construction, outside year around putting up $1M and up residential shells, then 10 years at dog eat dog computer jobs, before retiring, getting bored, then finding my dream job in live event production for a fantastic local company... and now, that's gone for good, as the owner decided to retire instead of fighting Covid-19.

I don't see much to look forward to when unemployment runs out, so I'm setting up to contract construction but my hearts not in it and my back is telling me I'm too old to do that any more.

Retirement has been in my old bosses' future since day one, and I had my resume all dialed in... I built his network and all the computers on it, brought up a Mapp-XT CAD/CAM rig, a Wireless Workbench/Spec-A rig, a nice DMX light rig, a nice file library foundation for the X/M32 class desks we had, along with two new Wing desks...and got to run FOH and/or lights for several very high profile gigs here locally... but any future there... near term, anyway... seems pretty iffy.

Torn between rooting against a few bad cops... and rooting against a whole bunch of similarly selfish looters and rioters isn't helping my headspace much.

Kinda just keeping my head down, trying to balance between staying informed and not looking too hard at a whole bunch of ugly, and enjoying progress on the livestream rig, in between periods of deep uncertainty.

A local mobile stage owner teamed up with a hugely talented local cover band I crewed and shot video for, setting up a capable soundstage in the band leader's production warehouse, hoping to run a string of other bands thru there too, all me on the video end, but we've had a couple of setbacks.

The band leader's live in daughter tested positive for C-19, causing 2 weeks of self isolation for him and I, which passed uneventfully, but delayed the first shoot.

The second band's guitar player lost his son to an overdose two days before their shoot, that's still on hold.

Latest word has the stage leaving soon, for paid gigs, not clear if this ends the plan or not.

But six cam HD video for the first band is in the can, a 45 minute set, and we just finished editing clips around 1 am Saturday morning.

As,soon as we get the finished two track audio file from sound, and title it, that will go up, hopefully bringing joy to the music starved community here and a nice showcase for my studio.

I can probably handle the disease, but the riots on top of that are bringing me down.

Interesting times.

I guess my best shot will be marrying computers, networking, lights, audio, and construction... going to work for an A/V install company, but the best local houses here are all based in a suburb on the far side of town, a two hour commute, one way, away from home.

Ok then... that's about enough whining for today. Time to shower, go check some boxes off towards building a construction company, get the trash out, and I'm looking forward to a vid-edit session this evening. I hope we get that two track audio master today!!

Last edited by JayTee4303; 3 days ago at 03:06 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

That's a pretty good Covid work+career+business derailment story, and I particularly appreciate your admission that many things taken away by the virus, in addition to lives, will not come back. This is especially true for freelancers and small shops of all kinds, people who were not "laid off by bosses" so much as "shut down and abandoned by fleeing clients ". Like you I'm not sure at all that I can get traction again in the income producing work I was doing, while the freebe-sector is booming, of course. I'm impressed by your plans to attempt a marriage of your interests and experience to make a life for yourself going forward--I wish I had all those skills to call upon!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Can't wait for the next set of "predictions" from the so called experts that have been proven wrong on most of their previous predictions. A little horse sense (common sense isn't very common here) would go a long way without blindly accepting the advice of those that have been proven wrong.

Besides, now we seem to have bigger issues here taking the virus off the front pages. Look how quickly the media changes it's reporting when a new crisis erupts. Got to keep the masses afraid and tuned in.
I try not to pay any attention at all to news or pronouncements from Big Pharma about Covid vaccine or treatment stuff. In the past they have been as exploitive and opaque as they could possibly be about drugs of far smaller import than a Covid vaccine--always with their eye on their stock price, and this one will be the drug of the century. In the short run politics are involved as well, so I'm going to be doubly skeptical of their claims. A return of much of what I was doing before the virus depends utterly on the ability of large audiences to safely closely gather indoors, so there is a lot of Magical Thinking going on by my clients and artists right now about when and how some medico-tech solution to the that problem will arrive.
Old 3 days ago
Apparently, gathering in large, close crowds is ok for "protesting" but gathering to listen to music is outlawed. I'm so confused.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
That's a pretty good Covid work+career+business derailment story, and I particularly appreciate your admission that many things taken away by the virus, in addition to lives, will not come back. This is especially true for freelancers and small shops of all kinds, people who were not "laid off by bosses" so much as "shut down and abandoned by fleeing clients ". Like you I'm not sure at all that I can get traction again in the income producing work I was doing, while the freebe-sector is booming, of course. I'm impressed by your plans to attempt a marriage of your interests and experience to make a life for yourself going forward--I wish I had all those skills to call upon!
I second every bit of that.

My main day gig, producing radio commercials, is kaput largely because up until now most people heard radio in their cars and now nobody drives. Income source #2 for the last while has been mixing either FOH or live-streaming at small LA venues. Some of that should come back eventually. The third part, mixing records, was always a tiny slice of the pie. Now it's a bigger proportion, but the pie is way smaller. I think the main thing is that we're all Quality Guys and we'll figure something out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search