The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Regardless of your politics, I think people are just dealing with the reality of the music business as it effects them, in their regions.
The reality is.....
As governments seek to open up society to protect jobs and businesses, so the virus infections start to climb.
As infection rates climb, so societies start to close down (or isolate) again.
You have to self isolate returning to the UK from Spain right now. France could be next on the list. Germany, Greece and Holland are also heading in the wrong direction as far as infection rates are concerned.
The music industry is global - and definitely not solely national. So in order to earn enough money to live, most in the industry need to travel and work in different countries over a short period of time. If for no other reason, local lockdowns and short notice quarantine requirements are making this an ever more impossible situation to work with.
Under this summary (and the absence of an effective mass vaccine) the current touring music industry has to be seen as either completely untenable...or only practical if severely curtailed in scale (and thus rendered uneconomic) Scheduled dates are often planned years in advance, and the plethora of border closures, variable quarantine periods, inaccessible performance venues etc just presents a road too far of insurmountable hurdles...too many unknown variables, constantly shifting.

It's almost as if the virus had targeted the touring industry in all of its multiple vulnerabilities ...and so the transition to the inevitable online presentations are the result. Or, the guerilla style quickly-organised back garden patio and spare room unplugged house concerts might see a resurgence ?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
It's almost as if the virus had targeted the touring industry in all of its multiple vulnerabilities ...and so the transition to the inevitable online presentations are the result. Or, the guerilla style quickly-organised back garden patio and spare room unplugged house concerts might see a resurgence ?
Both of those potentialities might make people appreciate live music performed on a "personal scale" more than in the recent past. Or not. But I hope it does.
Old 13th August 2020
I think a lot of the issues surrounding this whole thing, and how it's perceived by individuals, comes down to:

-How well that person's government (at all levels) react to this thing, and how effective those governments' messaging and enforcement of regulations is.

-How well the population reacts to this thing, including their proclivity to accept scientific fact as opposed to the rampant weird stuff being spewed everywhere. And there's all sorts of people within the population that react differently- optimists, pessimists, rational people, and wingnuts. A big part of how things pan out depends on whether people take appropriate precautions- I think that is the real key.

-The inherent limitations of the scientific method. Nothing is certain, nor can one really predict what the heck is going to happen, given the various dynamics going on. And when it comes to modelling/statistics, those uncertainties create a wide possibility of outcomes. You can do your std deviations/confidence intervals/other funky stuff, but we just don't know what's going to happen, given all the other stuff going on.

-Needless to say an effective vaccine is part of the solution.

Until then, I'm thinking smaller audiences in areas that are doing ok will be the way things go for some time to come. I can't see stadium shows happening for quite some time.

Personally, I think we've all just gotta get real. Not like my ex sister-in-law. Fun fact- one year my then wife asked what we should get her for Christmas. I suggested rubber gloves so she could get a better grip on reality
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

I also see tour + concert dates on arts org calendars for October onward. I see them as being in the same category as some pronouncements made by politicians: a form of whistling in the dark. Both are indications of what they wish will happen, made in part as attempts at morale boosting. But no serious manager of an arts org. would bet all of what resources they might have left by now on those shows happening then with a normal-sized ticket-buying audience. In the USA we have a long way to go to get to a place where future live shows can be confidently enough booked that real money is put down for venue rental, show tech and crew deposits.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

i suggest we discuss large scale touring/festival sound over at the live sound forum as these kinda shows got not much to do with location recording (besides the fact that almost all bands these days record all of their shows anyway - for whatever reason...).
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I also see tour + concert dates on arts org calendars for October onward. I see them as being in the same category as some pronouncements made by politicians: a form of whistling in the dark. Both are indications of what they wish will happen, made in part as attempts at morale boosting. But no serious manager of an arts org. would bet all of what resources they might have left by now on those shows happening then with a normal-sized ticket-buying audience. In the USA we have a long way to go to get to a place where future live shows can be confidently enough booked that real money is put down for venue rental, show tech and crew deposits.
I've long assumed that the financial damage control for shows cancelled due to bad weather, main star's illness, ticketing agency collapse, union strikes etc was insurance. My guess is that safety net has also evaporated overnight in the current climate ?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've long assumed that the financial damage control for shows cancelled due to bad weather, main star's illness, ticketing agency collapse, union strikes etc was insurance. My guess is that safety net has also evaporated overnight in the current climate ?
Absolutely. When you have a single show cancelled due to weather or other mitigating factors, it's easy to absorb that loss from the hundreds or thousands of other shows that are happening. When the entire industry is closed down or has the chance of being cancelled due to the same reason or being sued for that same reason, no insurance company can afford to carry that weight.

It's long been known that it will be the insurance companies that will dictate when and how shows will resume. And they aren't about to take that chance until we have a proven vaccine available and in wide spread use.

If you think the mask/no mask arguments are bad now; just wait until the government starts mandating a vaccine that was rushed to market, with a brand new development model never used in human before and in which everyone involved (government, industry, and community) have a vested interest in making it look like it's effective.

In short, we're doomed for probably the next 5 years.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

I got word yesterday that the staff at my former venue (the local arts venue and Broadway house) have all been laid off permanently and the venue will remain closed through summer 2021. They had previously only been furloughed, with the possibility of some single shows or calls until January. Now it's permanent and they will have to go through the rehiring process from scratch when things do open back up.

I assume that means that the local arts groups have cancelled their seasons and the Broadway tours have also bailed for next year.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear
"Mr Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news imediately"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDXKAwzdxn4
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post

Personally, I think we've all just gotta get real.
I agree with you. I think we have to deal with whatever is before us because the calvery probably isn't coming to our rescue in the foreseeable future.
Old 14th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac 7777 View Post
As for the rest of you put on you big boy pants and man up and stop whining. If you don't like what's going down, do something about it.
I'm open to suggestions. Outside of outdoor mass protests and voting, we don't have a lot of options here that are legal.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Here's an example of how an artist can monetise an online event, perhaps even earning an amount commensurate with typical concert performance....but it's surely never going to be a replacement for a concert tour ! https://www.nickcave.com/news/idiot-...xandra-palace/

Needless to add, there's an entire group of people who'd typically be employed on producing a live gig like this...who are going to be eliminated from involvement in the online version
I was one of the people meant to be employed by from Nick's touring this year (and next) but unfortunately that's all off the cards for a while.

For a while I've accepted there wont be any touring happening this year, and am beginning to accept it may not happen next year either. I don't see how ten crew members can share a tour bus from city to city over the course of a month or two with the very high risk that one of them gets sick and spreads it quickly to the rest of the crew. Occasional fly-dates may work but making that financially viable is really tricky.

I'm lucky that my main trade is studio work and I've stayed booked since the pandemic hit, and even with tour dates in the calendar for next year (with Nick Cave and and another band I work with) I won't be turning down studio projects til I see real evidence that shows and tours can happen and are happening.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i suggest we discuss large scale touring/festival sound over at the live sound forum as these kinda shows got not much to do with location recording (besides the fact that almost all bands these days record all of their shows anyway - for whatever reason...).
I suggest we discuss those shows here if it relates to location recording, which for many of us it does, or did. 75% of my location music recording work was of live shows with audiences, large and small. Live sound and recording are very intertwined anymore.

And yes, it is true that the underwriters will decide when real shows with real audiences can happen again.

Meanwhile--I'd put money on there being very very underground clandestine shows happening somewhere, way under the radar....
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suggest we discuss those shows here if it relates to location recording, which for many of us it does, or did. 75% of my location music recording work was of live shows with audiences, large and small. Live sound and recording are very intertwined anymore.

And yes, it is true that the underwriters will decide when real shows with real audiences can happen again.

Meanwhile--I'd put money on there being very very underground clandestine shows happening somewhere, way under the radar....
i don't agree on a few things:

- there aren't many folks around here who are into large scale touring/festival sound (say above 10'000 people)

- these shows have pretty much nothing in common with location recording other than strapping a recorder to the preamps/direct outputs

- these are not your typical 'location recording' situation of unamplified or semi-acoustic/partially amplified concerts...

- no 'main' mics, no ambi mic, all di's/close mics

- i certainly don't do or recommend doing underground clandestine shows! only those shows will go ahead which rely on a concept which can convince authorities that it will be possible to trace down potential new covid cases:
mainly in larger venues but with smaller audiences, everybody seated wearing a mask, sitting in a specific sector on a numbered seat, all names known to the promotor; breaks between sets, no drinks, no meet and greet etc.
not much along the lines which many folks consider typical or necessary for r'n'r but not that much unusual for jazz or classical concerts...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 14th August 2020 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: some info added
Old 14th August 2020
Since about March most insurance companies have exempted Covid-19 from their policies (in the small print). they were losing so much money. My usual band had a dozen or more shows cancelled at short notice due to lockdown in foreign countries. The bill for that would have been in the many thousands with people's wages, hotel, transport, plus ticket refunds.

I honestly think this is a discussion for all live work, not just large tours.
Outside of America, most performance gigs are international. Crews and artists in the UK probably spend more time in Europe than they do at home. Holland and France have joined Spain on the UK govt quarantine list. So how many musicians and crew can afford to self isolate for two weeks after every show in Europe?
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I honestly think this is a discussion for all live work, not just large tours.
Outside of America, most performance gigs are international. Crews and artists in the UK probably spend more time in Europe than they do at home. Holland and France have joined Spain on the UK govt quarantine list. So how many musicians and crew can afford to self isolate for two weeks after every show in Europe?
Yes, let's leave the moderating and content-tweaking to the moderators...I doubt Steve Remote would want to exclude events on the scale of Newport for example, simply because he's one of the few (along with deedeeyeah, philper and others) who operate on the larger scale end of location recording.

Those bigger scale events are still of interest to those of us who might tote around an H4 and an xy pair of Oktavas ? No point in unnecessary compartmentalising and exclusivity-creation...let's share what we do (and that includes sample audio and video recordings).

Importantly, it allows us all to keep a finger on the pulse of lockdowns, cancellations, resumption of concerts at all ends of the production scale. If we see small festivals reopening in a particular country, or a succession of shutdowns in others, this sort of anecdotal evidence supports and boosts morale...or at least joins dots of factual experiences amidst huge swathes of guesswork, uncertainty and conjecture.

Let's not unnecessarily confine the scope of this topic...in alignment with the spirit of Steve's (Remoteness) restructure of this forum several months ago. Elitism not welcome here...this welcoming bar embraces multitudes !
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

location recording vs live sound

got nothing to do with elitism or some strange attemps trying to 'moderate' this thread (?!)...

...but everything with proper nomenclatura - and the fact that large scale touring got absolutely nothing to do with location recording! (besides: there current isn't any)

i never said i don't wanna discuss the situation in live sound either but i prefer to do so in the appropriate forum...

...and i still wish there would be different subfora in live sound forum - for the same reason as mentioned above: mixing in a club with a fixed rig and often limited resources is pretty much polar opposite of touring, each with its characteristic challenges!

(btw: i'm not belitteling the former scenario, on the contrary! it's mostly MUCHO easier to just push a few dca's before you let your assistant mix the last couple of songs to escape the traffic jam)
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't agree on a few things:

- there aren't many folks around here who are into large scale touring/festival sound (say above 10'000 people)

- these shows have pretty much nothing in common with location recording other than strapping a recorder to the preamps/direct outputs

- these are not your typical 'location recording' situation of unamplified or semi-acoustic/partially amplified concerts...

- no 'main' mics, no ambi mic, all di's/close mics

- i certainly don't do or recommend doing underground clandestine shows! only those shows will go ahead which rely on a concept which can convince authorities that it will be possible to trace down potential new covid cases:
mainly in larger venues but with smaller audiences, everybody seated wearing a mask, sitting in a specific sector on a numbered seat, all names known to the promotor; breaks between sets, no drinks, no meet and greet etc.
not much along the lines which many folks consider typical or necessary for r'n'r but not that much unusual for jazz or classical concerts...
You are very incorrect about recording of shows being just "strapping a multitrack to the preamps DOs". If that's all there was to it the FOH people would do it themselves. They don't because we're bringing a lot to the party that they don't want to deal with, all the more true if video recording is also involved, which it almost always is. Since when is a "typical" location recording situation unamped semi acoustic? I have 45 years of location recording experience and can tell you that that sort of recording is a small niche business, esp. in the USA, and not something that more than a small handful of professionals can run a business off of all the time. Everyone else has a varied diet of jobs, and the more "live" the job is usually the better the money offered to do it. No "main mics", "ambi mics"? Well, no, we always have those, no matter what sort of concert or event it is. As for "underground" shows--no I won't be attending any and think they'd be a suicidal idea to stage, but then again I think the same about college football being played in this time period. People want to do it anyway, so they will.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are very incorrect about recording of shows being just "strapping a multitrack to the preamps DOs". If that's all there was to it the FOH people would do it themselves. They don't because we're bringing a lot to the party that they don't want to deal with, all the more true if video recording is also involved, which it almost always is. Since when is a "typical" location recording situation unamped semi acoustic? I have 45 years of location recording experience and can tell you that that sort of recording is a small niche business, esp. in the USA, and not something that more than a small handful of professionals can run a business off of all the time. Everyone else has a varied diet of jobs, and the more "live" the job is usually the better the money offered to do it. No "main mics", "ambi mics"? Well, no, we always have those, no matter what sort of concert or event it is. As for "underground" shows--no I won't be attending any and think they'd be a suicidal idea to stage, but then again I think the same about college football being played in this time period. People want to do it anyway, so they will.
lol!

guess we're talking about a much different scale (or era long gone) of live shows/festivals:

of course do techs at foh (and/or mon) record the shows they are mixing! of course do they provide alternate mixes (in different formats)! of course they have producers controlling the 'media' content displayed on huge lcd sceens and fed to the web!

but 'main mics' on large r'n'r shows?! where do you exactly put them with l/c/r or 'immersive' multi-array hangs?! even with conventional l/r setups, what do you pick up besides pa rear blast and spill from sidefills and wedges?! what position on festivals with broad stages with alternating bands on both (or even three) positions or a long catwalk and/or b-stage? - and there's a difference between mics used to pick up crowd noise and 'ambient' sound: there simply is no 'ambi' outdoors and afaik one cannot change laws of physics...

on typical large scale r'n'r shows, you don't even come close to the stage with any of your location recording/broadcast gear unless a deal has been struck months in advance, mostly not even with the band/artist 'directly' (but the promotor, sponsors and ticket seller) these days: more likely, the headliner dictates whether and what signals you get. IF you get to air/stream something, it's limited to sub-20s snippets...

large/well known artists/bands not only try to control their image via asocial media but operate pretty much in a closed loop: they don't need the traditional press or broadcasters to reach their audience anymore; they have all the means to distribute audio and video (or even control their avatars) in realtime!

i'm glad you illustrated (or heloed me to illustrate) why this discussion belongs into the live sound forum though...

___

i'm with you that on a smaller scale, there is some co-operation and bands/artists can benefit from outside expertise (and gear) in terms of sound* and to reach a broader audience via additional channels of distribution.

this we can gladly continue to discuss in this forum here...

___

* many 'large' bands could profit from better sound too but that's yet another discussion...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 15th August 2020 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol!

guess we're talking about a much different scale (or era long gone) of live shows/festivals:

of course do techs at foh (and/or mon) record the shows they are mixing! of course do they provide alternate mixes (in different formats)! of course they have producers controlling they 'media' content displayed on huge lcd sceens and fed to the web!

but 'main mics' on large r'n'r shows?! where do you exactly put them with l/c/r or 'immersive' multi-array hangs?! even with conventional l/r setups, what do you pick up besides pa rear blast and spill from sidefills and wedges?! what position on festivals with broad stages with alternating bands on both (or even three) sides or a long catwalk and or b-stage? - and there's a difference between mics used to pick up crowd noise and 'ambient' sound: there simply is no 'ambi' outdoors and afaik one cannot change laws of physics...

on typical large scale r'n'r shows, you don't even come close to the stage with any of your location recording/broadcast gear unless a deal has been struck months in advance, mostly not even with the band/artist 'directly' (but the promotor, sponsors and ticket seller) these days: more likely, the headliner dictates whether and what signals you get. IF you get to air/stream something, it's limited to sub-20s snippets...

large/well known artists/bands not only try to control their image via asocial media but operate pretty much in a closed loop: they don't need the traditional press or broadcasters to reach their audience anymore; they have all the means to distribute audio and video (or even control their avatars) in realtime!

i'm glad you illustrated (or heloed me to illustrate) why this discussion belongs into the live sound forum though...

___

i'm with you that on a smaller scale, there is some co-operation and bands/artists can benefit from outside expertise (and gear) in terms of sound* and to reach a broader audience via additional channels of distribution.

this we can gladly continue to discuss in this forum here...

___

* many 'large' bands could profit from better sound too but that's yet another discussion...
If Steve Remote wants to remove the discussion of a whole branch of location music recording to a forum mostly about FOH and monitor sound that's his call. As for you continuing to tell me all the things you think I don't do on concert recording jobs that I actually do do, that's weirdly silly. Because I do them, and much much more! I don't understand your interest in cutting off this discussion on this forum, I guess if you really dislike it you can not read those (my) posts, "hide" my posts or whatever it's called or start your own forum with a big red banner at the top that says "No Discussion of Amplified Concert Recording Allowed Here".
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
As for "underground" shows--no I won't be attending any and think they'd be a suicidal idea to stage, but then again I think the same about college football being played in this time period. People want to do it anyway, so they will.
The SEC is reportedly still planning to play college football this Fall unlike the Big 10 and the PAC-12 who decided this week not to play because of the risk.

USA Today reported that the SEC had $721 million in revenues from football in 2019. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...en/2856234001/

The football program at the University of Tennessee is part of the SEC.

The Knoxville News reported on January 15, 2020, "Tennessee football is the department’s cash cow, generating $96.1 million in revenue compared to $52.7 million in expenses." https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...es/4482002002/

I wonder if they will socially distance in the bleachers and cut down on attendance this year?
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
You've nailed the core issue perfectly 2manyrocks: money and cash-cows are the perfect dilution medium for reason, commonsense and public (national..in the case of pandemic) safety. The holy dollar calls the tune ! Amen brother....and pass the credit card.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I never said i don't wanna discuss the situation in live sound either but i prefer to do so in the appropriate forum...

...and i still wish there would be different subfora in live sound forum ...)
Sounds like an issue you need to take up with the Live Sound forum moderators ? If you're mixing only, at whatever scale of enterprise, that's the appropriate forum for discussion. If you're recording or recording and PA mixing together, that posting has a place here...whether it's Newport Folk Festival, Carnegie Hall or a college hall jazz gig
Old 15th August 2020
I remember the "good old days" when we would bring a van loaded with equipment to a live show and do the recording by taking feeds from the group's mic splitter. It was a more refined time and was actually fun to do. I haven't done live recording of a large R-N-R event for years. From what I am reading on this topic what takes place today is much different. In the "good old days" we took a crew of three and did these recordings in the back of the van. I remember sitting out in the van in a snow storm and in broiling July heat. We had either a 24 track MCI or a 16 track MCI tape deck and various audio consoles. I guess I am glad that I don't do this anymore especially with the current COVID-19 pandemic. I hope and PRAY that the pandemic comes to an end soon and everyone in the concert sound profession can get back to work full time. BE SAFE and STAY HEALTHY!
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Philper in post #348 advanced two opinions that paint a clear picture of the regional disconnect and obvious attendant political polarization from his San Francisco location. Unlike the "left coast" my southeastern quadrant of the US holds the individual liberty embodied in the Constitutional "Bill of Rights" much more important than draconian maneuvers supported by questionable inductive reasoning that is a long way from scientifically valid.
Here in the southeast the Acoustic Americana genre is alive and well with video capture from staged live performance. Over the past 50 years I have been blessed to work with some of the genre's best performers, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill & Doc Watson. They have collectively accrued more than 40 grammies and are acknowledged as major contributors to our American Musical culture. Vince Gill is equally comfortable with the Eagles, the Time Jumpers or a solo gig with only his acoustic Martin D28. A full house of $50. seats is pretty common when the talent is obvious. While everything has been cancelled since March a clear path for 2021 concert work looks very promising in this part of the country. 500 to 1,200 seats may seam small time to some folks but for many of us it offers a pretty good revenue stream
The college football situation is influenced a lot more by political considerations than revenue. To ignore the fact that the Left Coast, Rust Belt and North Eastern governance is ******** dominate and have cancelled their seasons while the Sun Belt, with ********** governance, is still planning on allowing the kids to have classes and play Football. There it is: the primary difference between a Republic that guarantees individual liberty as opposed to ********ic rule that accepts 51% as the law. The ignorance that abounds in our country pursuant to this specific issue is unacceptable.
Hugh
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Speaking of the good old days, photographer Daniel Cuny posted a story this week about his experience photographing bands in the 1970s saying, "The early 1970s was a time when you could see three bands for $4.00." https://www.35mmc.com/05/08/2020/pho...s-by-dan-cuny/ There are some great concert photos of some now famous artists on his website: https://www.dancuny.com/

In 2017, the Knox News reported on an economic study finding that University of Tennessee football had a $355.7 million annual impact in Knoxville, averaging $42 million a game. The study found hotels had $73.9 million in annual effects from UT football, while restaurants and bars had $82.5 million. "According to the study, 2,611 local jobs result directly from UT football’s impact, and another 1,210 jobs come from its secondary effects." State and local taxes amounted to $18.6 million. In 2015-16, football games drew 621,561 fans to Knoxville. https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...ess/591257001/

Students began returning to campus August 9. Reports indicate there are now 28 positive cases with 155 in isolation. https://www.wate.com/news/local-news...ancellor-says/
Old 15th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post

Philper in post #348 advanced two opinions that paint a clear picture of the regional disconnect and obvious attendant political polarization from his San Francisco location. Unlike the "left coast" my southeastern quadrant of the US holds the individual liberty embodied in the Constitutional "Bill of Rights" much more important than draconian maneuvers supported by questionable inductive reasoning that is a long way from scientifically valid.

The college football situation is influenced a lot more by political considerations than revenue. To ignore the fact that the Left Coast, Rust Belt and North Eastern governance is ******** dominate and have cancelled their seasons while the Sun Belt, with ********** governance, is still planning on allowing the kids to have classes and play Football. There it is: the primary difference between a Republic that guarantees individual liberty as opposed to ********ic rule that accepts 51% as the law. The ignorance that abounds in our country pursuant to this specific issue is unacceptable.
Hugh
Your argument, which has merit, though the nuance is pretty polarizing, could be turned around in a completely opposite way and an awful lot of people would agree with it.

But what do I know? I'm from Kanuckistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Students began returning to campus August 9. Reports indicate there are now 28 positive cases with 155 in isolation. https://www.wate.com/news/local-news...ancellor-says/
Jeepers. All the universities are going online up here. Primary/secondary schools are kind of all over the place- some in-class and some at home. I guess it depends on whether a kid's parents have the ability to accomodate at-home learning, which probably depends a lot on their income and if they can work from home. I hear some parents are considering small clusters of kids doing distance learning. It's the poorer kids and the kids who need the social aspect of being with their friends/contemporaries who'll go to the schools.

My best friend is a custodian at a 7/8 school. He was planning on retiring last spring but is staying on for a little while longer. His workday is going to be difficult. But never underestimate a custodian- he is one of the best.

I read somewhere that a lot of food is rotting in farmers fields in Québec due to the shortage of migrant workers, who are typically from Central America. There was a big outbreak amongst migrant workers in southwestern Ontario as well a little while ago, but I think that's been resolved. Still, food prices are expected to rise.

Me and those close to me will be fine as we all practice social distancing and there's a mandatory mask policy in my city for any indoor facilities. I have a home project studio, and I certainly won't be having anyone in here for a while singing into the mics I've put some decent money into. Not sure when that'll happen.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Philper in post #348 advanced two opinions that paint a clear picture of the regional disconnect and obvious attendant political polarization from his San Francisco location. Unlike the "left coast" my southeastern quadrant of the US holds the individual liberty embodied in the Constitutional "Bill of Rights" much more important than draconian maneuvers supported by questionable inductive reasoning that is a long way from scientifically valid.......While everything has been cancelled since March a clear path for 2021 concert work looks very promising in this part of the country. 500 to 1,200 seats may seam small time to some folks but for many of us it offers a pretty good revenue stream
Hugh
I find a quirky fascination about the US tendency to transmute a pandemic into a stage play of opposing factions, reviving notions of individual freedoms, liberty, representative democracy etc. It's like a 200+ year powder keg looking for a fuse...and it seems, any fuse will do. This time around it just happens to be a pandemic....

An unresolved historical polarizing issue suddenly turns a population into 'actors'...or maybe it's a mass distraction mechanism, because they're unable to prioritize what's the 'real game' here...the serious business of disease control, which requires every individual to play their active part...and expressly NOT to act out a script from a playbook of unresolved wounds and scores to settle, which bear no correspondence at all with virus control. Fiddling while Rome (or Atlanta) burns...and fascinating indeed, as I said.

At the very point in history when the nation (the world) needs a single, collective focus on control, there's division, diffusion, sectarianism and disunity (not just confined to the US, it should be noted...) Just about every country has its social inequities, racial injustices and more. Meanwhile, the virus re-flares itself, while humanity turns its collective back to attend to more pressing matters...like mask wearing masquerading as a social rights violation !

Folks, this is the real thing...it's not "Oklahoma"or "South Pacific"...and nobody's made it successfully past the casting audition

Last edited by studer58; 15th August 2020 at 04:29 PM..
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here in the southeast the Acoustic Americana genre is alive and well with video capture from staged live performance. Over the past 50 years I have been blessed to work with some of the genre's best performers, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill & Doc Watson. They have collectively accrued more than 40 grammies and are acknowledged as major contributors to our American Musical culture. Vince Gill is equally comfortable with the Eagles, the Time Jumpers or a solo gig with only his acoustic Martin D28. A full house of $50. seats is pretty common when the talent is obvious. While everything has been cancelled since March a clear path for 2021 concert work looks very promising in this part of the country. 500 to 1,200 seats may seam small time to some folks but for many of us it offers a pretty good revenue stream
Hugh
You are casting this as some kind of BS culture war issue. Get off your high horse and stop lecturing us about your notions of what the Constitution means, and provide some meaty details about how football, concerts and so on will be done without covid case spikes following them, or admit that you think those things are worth that price. I'm not being facetious: many people are on public record as feeling that way. If a lot of people agree then people like me need to figure out how to work on these new shows you say are incoming without getting sick, or get into a new line of work. I'm willing to give it all a try (already am in a limited way) if it can be shown that unnecessary risks are not being taken.
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are casting this as some kind of BS culture war issue. Get off your high horse and stop lecturing us about your notions of what the Constitution means, and provide some meaty details about how football, concerts and so on will be done without covid case spikes following them, or admit that you think those things are worth that price. I'm not being facetious: many people are on public record as feeling that way. If a lot of people agree then people like me need to figure out how to work on these new shows you say are incoming without getting sick, or get into a new line of work. I'm willing to give it all a try (already am in a limited way) if it can be shown that unnecessary risks are not being taken.
..and just because the calendar flips over to 2021, there's going to be no magical resumption of shows and concert recordings...simply because we cross fingers, touch wood... and hope it to be so.

Who in the hell is coming up with these dates anyway....and on what factual basis are they making the estimates upon ?

Concert recommencement will be the carrot on the end of the stick, the reward for some DAMN HARD WORK...which the world is collectively showing it has close to zero appetite for right now. It's a goal we're regressing away from...not moving slowly toward
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear