The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's your world looking?
Old 8th August 2020
  #271
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
...I’m sorry, this post has become political. I’ve mentioned human rights, darn it! How leftist of me.
We are all political animals; its in our DNA. But here at Gearslutz the political spectrum usually runs from stereo capture to multi-mic, from near-coincident to spaced omnis, MS versus ORTF...there are always going to be the different camps and their adherents.
Old 8th August 2020
  #272
Lives for gear
He was obviously taking a shot at WACKOs.

Speaking of total wAckOs, my daughter's college announced the postponement of soccer until the spring, but indoor volleyball and basketball competitions are still on....and no athlete covid testing will be done unless they show covid symptoms.

They also canceled their Spring commencement exercises that had been rescheduled for September as too risky, but still plan to bring students back on campus in person for the fall semester.
Old 8th August 2020
  #273
Inconsistency and arbitration are the issues here in California. The CA legislature is 80% demo crat as are all state wide offices. There is now an effort in the demo crat led state legislature to introduce a bill that would limit the power of the governor to institute emergency orders to close businesses without an actual law or approval of the legislature.

Either they are tired of the situation or they just want a seat at the power table. Stay tuned, it's getting interesting here.
Old 8th August 2020
  #274
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
He was obviously taking a shot at WACKOs.

Speaking of total wAckOs, my daughter's college announced the postponement of soccer until the spring, but indoor volleyball and basketball competitions are still on....and no athlete covid testing will be done unless they show covid symptoms.

They also canceled their Spring commencement exercises that had been rescheduled for September as too risky, but still plan to bring students back on campus in person for the fall semester.
Their policies have more holes than a Swiss cheese...like bailing out a leaking boat with a pasta strainer/colander !

What's the calibre of their curriculum, if they can't apply critical thinking criteria to maintaining basic safety conduct codes ...rules they could safely copy/paste from any school authority in the developed world, since their own is clearly directionless.
Old 8th August 2020
  #275
Gear Nut
What we have here is an Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged situation.This is not a tangible problem that requires specific solutions, but agencies all advocating an agenda. Some of us are remaining silent, others are in denial.

The situation is obvious. We have been here before. This is a spiritual and philosophical battle, addressing the physical manifestation will not eliminate the problem.

EYE KNOW, I am remaining silent. People will have to learn to think for themselves or be swept away in the delusion of polarity.
Old 9th August 2020
  #276
Lives for gear
An interesting look at the state of the union from a historical (and Canadian) perspective....they seem to have done a relatively better job of containing Covid19 ?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-davis-1038206
Old 9th August 2020
  #277
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
An interesting look at the state of the union from a historical (and Canadian) perspective....they seem to have done a relatively better job of containing Covid19 ?

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-davis-1038206
Good article.

To me, the two fundamental differences between how the pandemic has played out up here compared to the U.S. have been:

-We have a much stronger sense of community: we're all in this together and take our civic duty much more seriously. That value is engrained in us, including in those from other lands that we happily encourage to join us in making a good life for themselves, their families, and the community as a whole.

-Our politicians- all of them- realized the immensity and seriousness of the challenge that faced our nation, and all of them took actions that helped stem the tide of this emergency. Some politicians who I used to think are idiots (Doug for example) reacted fabulously. I'm pretty darned impressed.

Needless to say, the economy is opening up, and schools will be opening as well. That will be the thing that will be the real test of how things will go.
Old 9th August 2020
  #278
Lives for gear
 

How in hell can the moderators of this thread allow studer58 to post a long political diatribe of invalid deductive reasoning in post #276 . The subject rolling stone article obliterates any and all previous notions pertaining to political neutrality and speaks volumes about where studer58 stands on the most important US election since 1864.
What we know is this Chinese virus has huge political ramifications for every government in the world and there is no future magic bullet cure likely. Any virus is much like water, there is no way to stop it, the best protocol is to deflect it. Speculation from highly educated professionals are a long way from any collective agreement pursuant to a "best protocol" to deal with this virus and it will ultimately run it's course eliminating many of our unprotected vulnerable population: just as viruses always have over history.
At this point kill the thread: removing the political nature of contributions is impossible when political decisions are at the root of most of the confusion!
Hugh
Old 9th August 2020
  #279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
How in hell can the moderators of this thread allow studer58 to post a long political diatribe of invalid deductive reasoning in post #276 . The subject rolling stone article obliterates any and all previous notions pertaining to political neutrality and speaks volumes about where studer58 stands on the most important US election since 1864.
What we know is this Chinese virus has huge political ramifications for every government in the world and there is no future magic bullet cure likely. Any virus is much like water, there is no way to stop it, the best protocol is to deflect it. Speculation from highly educated professionals are a long way from any collective agreement pursuant to a "best protocol" to deal with this virus and it will ultimately run it's course eliminating many of our unprotected vulnerable population: just as viruses always have over history.
At this point kill the thread: removing the political nature of contributions is impossible when political decisions are at the root of most of the confusion!
Hugh
On GS, and everywhere else online, I make it a point to never cut people's opinions down, even though I disagree with their opinions. This is no different. Reasoned, enlightened discourse is the hallmark of a free society. Plugging your ears and screaming "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" is not reasoned and enlightened discourse, nor is it the actions of those in a free and open society. Sadly, it happens on all sides of the political spectrum.

Some of the stuff you've posted elsewhere is pretty darned polarized. That's all fine and dandy and I'm cool with what you believe. Just be cool with others' points of view, though you may disagree with it, and we're all cool.

The nature of these accursed times is highly political. If PsychoMonkey wants to close the thread, fine- this thread is supposed to be about how we're all doing. But how people are doing, and how things have rolled out in various places around the world is in large part a direct result of political actions, both good and bad. We get to pick our politicians (except where you can't), but the people who run for office certainly aren't often the acme of an enlightened society. You get who you get. It's said we get the politicians we deserve.

Now, back to that article. It's an op-ed so don't get your knickers all knotted up. It was written by some person from up here. Bear in mind that it's a very Canadian thing to look south with a smirk and gloat how much better we are. But we certainly have our problems too. It is up to society as a whole to make things better for everyone. If politicians don't give a damn about regular people, then we're in serious trouble. Thankfully, that is not the case here.

And BTW- I'll take speculation from highly educated professionals ANY day over speculation from raging idiots who, by the nature of their position, can wreak abject havoc on millions of people's lives.
Old 9th August 2020
  #280
Lives for gear
"inconsistency...." brilliant summation. Get out and go see a show. No, shut down. The beaches are open. No, they aren't. You don't need a mask. Yes, you do. And wear one at home now, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
USA --99 days to reach first million cases, 43 days to reach the second million cases, 28 days to reach the third million cases and 15 days to reach the fourth million cases.

Let's check the number of USA cases again this time next week.
It actually took another 14 days for the to USA reach 5 million cases yesterday.

With schools reopening, lets give it about a week to spread infections, two weeks to show symptoms, and another week to get tested. So where will we be in another month? Probably no closer to actually being able to use any of our gear.
Old 9th August 2020
  #281
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
The subject rolling stone article obliterates any and all previous notions pertaining to political neutrality and speaks volumes about where studer58 stands on the most important US election since 1864.
Your reply is embalmed in the very political references you charge me with using....and I stand with you in believing that your upcoming election has indeed very important ramifications for your country, as well as broader ripples globally. Use your vote wisely !

I hope you are blessed with the open, fair and equitable voting process you deserve...freed from interference from internal sabotage and 'foreign malevolent actors' alike.

Indeed, our local worlds (and whether we can record or not) is determined by city and state officials...interpreting and creating rules according to prevailing conditions ...which in cahoots with covidity are as changeable as the wind ! That's the nature of the everyday politics which affects most of us.

I hope to be recording a local chamber music concert tonight, the first since 2019, with a small audience in a large venue...wish me luck !
Old 9th August 2020
  #282
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
I have to laugh at the shrill chicken little "RECORD NEW CASES" reports... and their... sourcing.

The world, the US, and Indiana... spiked in late March, where week over week increases hit 9x to 12x.

In the last month, with... MEDIA... going absolutely nuts...world figures have been 1.14x, 1.12x, 1.12x, 1.12x, and 1.11x.

US... 1.14x, 1.14x, 1.15x, 1.14x and 1.09x.

Indiana... 1.07x, 1.08x, 1.11x, 1.10x and 1.09x.

Media = utter bull****.

Yes...cases at record numbers.. that's how a growth curve works. The expansion of the disease is flat. More have it, so more get it.

This is the road to immunity. With some, attempting to inject their own agendas.

And failing in all, except to destroy their own credibility.
Old 10th August 2020
  #283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post

This is the road to immunity.
We still don't know if immunity exists.
Old 10th August 2020
  #284
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
We still don't know if immunity existks.
I think we do....just not how long it persists.
Old 10th August 2020
  #285
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I think we do....just not how long it persists.
We don't know that at all, to any degree of certainty, and we really don't know if acquired resistance to the virus from having had it exists at all, or if it does for how long. If the best we can do is slow down the spread enough to not cause those who get sick to not be able to get care, even if it is just palliative just-before-death care, then that's what we should do. The willingness of a given community to take the economic pain and disruption caused by shutdowns masking and distancing will directly relate to the body count and the acceleration or not of same in their area. That is about all we really know to do at this point. Don't count on a silver bullet saving us.
Old 10th August 2020
  #286
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I think we do....just not how long it persists.
Anecdotal reports of those who've survived the virus infection suggests that immunity (of unknown duration) is not the only thing that persists....for a very wide range of ages.

It seems that organ damage, brain function changes, breathing problems, chronic fatigue and likely other complications have been logged as long lasting remnants of infection by this nasty virus. Impossible to predict how it's going to affect the individual...
Old 11th August 2020
  #287
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Anecdotal reports of those who've survived the virus infection suggests that immunity (of unknown duration) is not the only thing that persists....for a very wide range of ages.

It seems that organ damage, brain function changes, breathing problems, chronic fatigue and likely other complications have been logged as long lasting remnants of infection by this nasty virus. Impossible to predict how it's going to affect the individual...
I read that an NBA player that came down with it quite a while ago went public saying how bad he's still feeling, months after his infection. And if he has access to the best healthcare......lots of people who don't could have big issues.

Back to that article- it said that the fastest a vaccine has ever been made was for the mumps, and it took four years. If that's the case, geez- it's gonna be one weird and kinda bleak world. That kind of thing could really change how the 21st century unfolds.

But if I can work from home four more years, I could retire without ever going back to the office. I could certainly live with that.
Old 11th August 2020
  #288
Lives for gear
 
GYMusic's Avatar
You WILL obey!
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-covid_comply.jpg  
Old 11th August 2020
  #289
Lives for gear
Gold standard--https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Full-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6800-Medium-4-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780256&rt=rud
Old 11th August 2020
  #290
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
You WILL obey!
Here's one that'll work better.


Old 11th August 2020
  #291
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Gold standard--https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Full-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6800-Medium-4-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294780256&rt=rud
The problem with that, and all/most respirators of that type, both full and partial face covering, is the "3M™ Cool Flow ™ Valve" exhausts output breath with no filtering. Good for the wearer, no protection for anyone surrounding.
Old 11th August 2020
  #292
Back on topic:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53725841

The reality is, many workers in the entertainment industry had all their work cancelled in early March 2020 and few are going not be able to return back to work until some (unspecified) in 2021, at the earliest.
In the UK a lot of self employed crew and musicians have had no government support.
Old 11th August 2020
  #294
Gear Maniac
 
Haigbabe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
I think we do....just not how long it persists.
Jury is well and truly out on the question of immunity. Could very well be a brief period some research suggests.

However, this virus is proving to have long term effects that go beyond simple recovery/not recovery. Many, many other symptoms etc are manifesting. Long term cardiac problems are forecast to put considerable strain on healthcare down the road. And so forth.

Those who want to deny the pernicious nature of this pandemic are in for some unpleasantness. The effects of this virus will be around for a long time. Some aspects are not yet overt in the public’s mind but that is human nature, denial is easy.

HB
Old 11th August 2020
  #295
Lives for gear
 
GYMusic's Avatar
You WILL obey
Attached Thumbnails
How's your world looking?-gs_ignore.jpg  
Old 11th August 2020
  #296
Here in California the winter NAMM show in Anaheim is cancelled. Last show had an entire floor/room full of Chinese music gear and sales people. I got sick 3 days later but have not gotten "tested".
Old 11th August 2020
  #297
Lives for gear
 
edva's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
.....But if I can work from home four more years, I could retire without ever going back to the office. I could certainly live with that.
Aside from all the other effects of this pandemic, this statement alludes to a dynamic which I find somewhat interesting. I wonder if at some point the majority of those now "working from home" are going to decide that they no longer want to return to the previous situation?
And pulling back the lens a bit further, I wonder if this is just one facet of a larger group of "permanent" social changes that we are, or will be, experiencing as this drags on, with the pandemic as the catalyst?
My guess is that the answer would be yes to both questions.
Old 11th August 2020
  #298
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
We don't know that at all, to any degree of certainty, and we really don't know if acquired resistance to the virus from having had it exists at all, or if it does for how long. If the best we can do is slow down the spread enough to not cause those who get sick to not be able to get care, even if it is just palliative just-before-death care, then that's what we should do. The willingness of a given community to take the economic pain and disruption caused by shutdowns masking and distancing will directly relate to the body count and the acceleration or not of same in their area. That is about all we really know to do at this point. Don't count on a silver bullet saving us.
I'm not a bio-weenie, but I had to hold off three of them at the dinner table, growing up.

"After all, chemistry IS just a subset of physics."

A bio-chemist with 39 US patents, a professor of molecular bio-chemistry at U of Nebraska, and an MD.

In my world, "know" means peer review, period, and words have specific meanings.

Including vague words.

I think we know there's immunity. We test for antibodies, and we find them.

That's about as far... as MY knowlege... on the subject goes.

I don't plan to activate the network on this. Other fish to fry.

Proceed.

;-)
Old 11th August 2020
  #299
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
We don't know that at all, to any degree of certainty, and we really don't know if acquired resistance to the virus from having had it exists at all, or if it does for how long. If the best we can do is slow down the spread enough to not cause those who get sick to not be able to get care, even if it is just palliative just-before-death care, then that's what we should do. The willingness of a given community to take the economic pain and disruption caused by shutdowns masking and distancing will directly relate to the body count and the acceleration or not of same in their area. That is about all we really know to do at this point. Don't count on a silver bullet saving us.
I'm not a bio-weenie, but I had to hold off three of them at the dinner table, growing up.

"After all, chemistry IS just a subset of physics."

A bio-chemist with 39 US patents, a professor of molecular bio-chemistry at U of Nebraska, and an MD.

In my world, "know" means peer review, period, and words have specific meanings.

Including vague words.

I think we know there's immunity. We test for antibodies, and we find them. It takes time to plan a series of lab tests, longer yet to fund them, longer yet to execute, yada yada write up, yada yada defend etc. More info is inbound, but I'm pretty sure we've established immunity exists, taking us back to my original statement.

That's about as far... as MY knowlege... on the subject goes.

I don't plan to activate the network on this. Other fish to fry.

Proceed.

;-)
Old 11th August 2020
  #300
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
Jury is well and truly out on the question of immunity. Could very well be a brief period some research suggests.

However, this virus is proving to have long term effects that go beyond simple recovery/not recovery. Many, many other symptoms etc are manifesting. Long term cardiac problems are forecast to put considerable strain on healthcare down the road. And so forth.

Those who want to deny the pernicious nature of this pandemic are in for some unpleasantness. The effects of this virus will be around for a long time. Some aspects are not yet overt in the public’s mind but that is human nature, denial is easy.

HB
About 95% of the... bs... is denial. Been guilty of it myself. I prefer a world where I get to see people's faces, and push faders, at high energy gigs. Without riots.

Mask stance... an attempt to control... something, in a largely un-controllable situation. Ditto for conspiracy theory.

Entertaining to observe the paramecia dance... and hugely tiresome too.

Gigs not on... not now.

I'm hiding out... mostly. Except today. Video gig, for a sudden "let's set up the SL-100, hmmm... who wants to play?"

Turns out it's the band who's owner is hosting my next gig, so.... I'm in.

Gotta cut grass, charge cam batteries, dump SD cards, and get halfway across the state by 6-ish.

Off to the races... mask in hand.

I won't ride a vent. I'm just shy of 60, and I'll find me a fat sack of something good, first. Laters... on my terms... with me?

27 percent got Spanish flu, if you trust the nymbers. I aim to be in the 73's. If not... go out smiling. Tis, what it is.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump