The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 mics on mixpre on mic stand...tiny rig advice
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

2 mics on mixpre on mic stand...tiny rig advice

For open mic nights, once they resume. My goal would be to set up a rig that has the smallest possible, least obtrusive footprint, could be placed close to the soloist, set and forget. Possibly video might be taken from a different spot and later synced up.

The open mic nights themselves (once they resume) have live sound reinforcement but would be very patchy since not everyone actually uses the mic. Moreover the open mic nights constantly switch locations, and happen in places like bookshops. So close-up would be the most consistent option.

Here's my idea. Tripod/stand. Screwed on that, an SD mixpre 3. On top of that, an attachment (what kind?) to mount a very short stereo mic bar on which I could use two small condenser cardioids (like a Line Audio CM3/4) in XY or ORTF or whatever. Just two short cables - XLRs from the mics to the Mixpre. Reliant on Mixpre battery power.

So I'm not capturing the PA sound really except by ambience, it's closer to the performer. Close up it avoids more crowd noise too.

Thoughts? What attachment would I need to put the stereo bar on the mixpre?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That sounds compact from an engineering standpoint, but I think visually having the Mixpre-3 that close to the microphones might get annoying for the audience. If you position the mics where they need to be - high enough say, to capture a good balance of a vocalist/guitarist, then the MixPre will likely be blocking the view of the performer’s face for a lot of audience members. If you have the mics low enough to not interfere visually, you likely won’t get a great balance.

What I do in these situations is put the stereo pair on its own stand that you can position at will, and then hang the MixPre in its carrying case from the mic stand, down lower on the stand so it’s not seen. It’s still just one stand - easy to grab and move - but much less visually obtrusive. You just need some slightly longer cables.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Great point! Thanks for the suggestion, and slimline xlr cables should keep the visuals to a minimum.
Old 1 week ago
Why stereo? Are your singers that much wider than mine? You could go with a single mic on a thin remote capsule cable -- Schoeps, Sennheiser, and DPA all offer these. Or one of those flexi stands with built-in cable. Add a separate stereo pair for ambience. But put the primary mic on an easily adjusted boom, because you'll be wanting to vary the aim and height for every singer to properly balance the voice against the guitar.

Personally, I don't bother using SDC's in an attempt at camouflage; I proudly put up a LDC and make it part of the show. Message to performer: "I'll make you sound your best." I also use parametric EQ and an opto compressor. I don't always use them but I enjoy adjustable pattern mics, because I can widen the pattern if a background singer shows up, or narrow it if the featured songwriter won't get close enough to the mic.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Superlux are incredible good for the price, but you could as well do this with the original Schoeps.

Picture taken from this Sounddevices MixPre thread at Gearslutz:

New Sound Devices recorders!

:-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search