The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low-profile cable/connector with Schoeps CMC1
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Low-profile cable/connector with Schoeps CMC1

Hi all,

At some point later this year, I have been thinking of purchasing a couple of the new CMC1 amplifiers for situations like soloist pickup where there is videography.

To maintain a low profile, I was planning to use something like Mogami 3031 and right-angle Neutrik connectors. I use a couple of long K&M booms on the K&M round cast bases, which sort of visually approximates the Schoeps RC tubes.

If anyone has further ideas or recommendations for keeping things minimal in this context with the CMC1's, I'd appreciate any input!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Hi all,

At some point later this year, I have been thinking of purchasing a couple of the new CMC1 amplifiers for situations like soloist pickup where there is videography.

To maintain a low profile, I was planning to use something like Mogami 3031 and right-angle Neutrik connectors. I use a couple of long K&M booms on the K&M round cast bases, which sort of visually approximates the Schoeps RC tubes.

If anyone has further ideas or recommendations for keeping things minimal in this context with the CMC1's, I'd appreciate any input!
I would go with the WA 2697. The 3031 is a nightmare to terminate because the shield is impossible to unbraid.
Switchcraft makes a low profile right angle connector that is nice for hanging.

All the best,
Mark
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
I would go with the WA 2697. The 3031 is a nightmare to terminate because the shield is impossible to unbraid.
Switchcraft makes a low profile right angle connector that is nice for hanging.

All the best,
Mark
Really good suggestions, thank you as always for the excellent advice Mark.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Wow, $200 for 650'. That's pretty reasonable. Not star quad right?

By the way, I bough a bunch of Gotham Audio GAC3 and I am really unhappy how it handles compared to the skinny star-quad Mogami (sorry, I don't remember the number). Develops bad habits even after being over-under'd more than a few times. It seems like I need to struggle with coiling it EVERY time. And I don't hear any difference at least under the conditions in which I work. Not loving it!

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, it's pretty reasonable indeed.

Hmm, FWIW I have a bunch of GAC-3 as well, and generally speaking I've found it very pliable and well-behaved, particularly when coiling longer lengths. A couple of remnant lengths I got from Gotham USA were a little unruly in the beginning, but we have since come to an understanding -- i.e. certainly not getting worse over time.

I hesitate to even acknowledge the latter part of your post for fear that this poor innocent thread might, through no fault of your own, succumb to that familiar and terrible scourge: the audibility-of-cables argument
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
the audibility-of-cables argument
In high quality cable, there is none.

D.
Old 1 week ago
If you think that any of the listed cables are difficult to wind, try the mini lav cable... It is wonderfully rugged and almost invisible, but it is a nightmare to deal with if it is not coiled perfectly.
Also, you need to build up the cable at the connector and I encapsulate the solder joints in hot melt to reduce the strain on the 28 ga conductors.
It's also nice for flypack kits because it is so light. You can get an entire kit of cable for about 6 lbs. I end using a gram scale to tell the difference between 15 and 20m cables.
My only complaint about the Switchcraft low profile cables is that they only have a right angle option.
-m
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Wow, $200 for 650'. That's pretty reasonable. Not star quad right?
Copper costs money. These are 28ga conductors. They are not the end all for microphonics, but all in all they sound fine. We have about 2km of the stuff. Great for Opera and other low profile jobs.
All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Makes sense Mark. Better than telco wire and line drivers.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use the Cable Techniques low profile XLR connectors all the time. They are great - lightweight and small and easy to adjust the cable exit location.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I use the Cable Techniques low profile XLR connectors all the time. They are great - lightweight and small and easy to adjust the cable exit location.

-Mike
The Cable Techniques connectors are very nice, but they cost $15 ea vs $4 for the Switchcraft...
As always, YMMV.
-mark
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search