The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
nevaton mc50 quad
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
nevaton mc50 quad

Hello,
I am a naturecordist and I would like to know if I can use in my mixer/preamp sonosax sx-pr four chanel mixed in stereo, the nevaton mc 50 quad só I d'ont need to use several microphones, I am using now the sennheizer mkh series 20,30,40,60 pairs, and I want to experiment with only one microphone for convenience.http://nevaton.eu/product/nevaton-mc-50/
regards,
José

Last edited by FREITOJOS; 1 week ago at 07:23 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One thing to keep in mind is that the Sennheiser MKH series mics are particularly suitable for nature recording because they use RF capsule technology that makes them almost impervious to moisture problems that plague regular condenser mics.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I d'ont want to discard the senneheisers wich I like. But I see in the mc50 quad a microphone where a I can use the four diafraghms and in the sonosax sx pr mix to stereo output only I d'ont know if it will work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yes, of course it will work - the Nevaton has four outputs, and the Sonosax is a 4 into 2 mixer.

But will it work conveniently?

Not 100%. The SX-PR doesn't have polarity inversion (incorrectly but commonly referred to as 'phase') switches on its input channels. As per the attached image from the Nevaton website, in order for you to sum the full range of possible polar patterns, you need the option of inverting the rear diaphragm outputs.

Of course, you can get around this using a reverse-wired XLR cable/removable connector.

If you know which polar patterns you want in advance, then this would be entirely unproblematic.

If you want a physical switch so that you can change pattern continuously, then the fabulously overpriced Shure A15PRS is available.
Attached Thumbnails
nevaton mc50 quad-mc50-multipattern-1-632x748.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Thank you Ithinknot,
I can make a reverse-wired xlr cable only changing pin 2 and pin 3 in one connector I think without problem?
Also in the nevaton paper you posted, fig 8 and super cardioid out 3 and out 4 are phase reversed, so I need two reverse-wired xlr cables?
Regards,
José
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can make a reverse-wired xlr cable only changing pin 2 and pin 3 in one connector I think without problem?
Yes.

Quote:
Also in the nevaton paper you posted, fig 8 and super cardioid out 3 and out 4 are phase reversed, so I need two reverse-wired xlr cables?
Yes - outputs 2 and 4. In the numbering they use, 1/3 and 2/4 are front/back of the two capsules.

So, for example, for Blumlein 90 degree fig 8s you'd have

[1] and [3 polarity reversed], panned Left
[2] and [4 polarity reversed], panned Right
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
thank you, Once more,
And XY cardioid

(1) and 3, paned left
(2) and (4), paned right

And xy with supercardioid
(1) and (3, polarity reversed, -3db) paned left
(2) and (4, polarity reversed, -3db) paned right.

When you said paned I must pane the two (1 and 3) or (2 and 4) or only one (3) or (4), I think it must be the two?
Best regards,
José
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Correct for XY supercardioid, though start around -10dB (at -3dB the pattern is still close to fig 8).

For XY cardioid, you only want the front (i.e. cardioid!) diaphragms, so 1 is Left and 2 is Right.

If you sum 1+3 (or 2+4) the pattern is omni. So what you describe is two coincident omnis at 90 degrees - which is useless. (Because of HF pattern narrowing, you'd have a somewhat stereo signal above ~5k, but everything below would be mono.)

These combinations of front and back are the basis of all dual-diaphragm variable-pattern LDC designs. It's just that in most cases, the mixing is done internally, not left to the user.

Of course, if you're not going to record 4 tracks and play with them in post, it might make more sense to use a 2 output mic (e.g. Neumann USM69, AKG C426B, etc) and skip the mixer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Ok,
Thank you for your answers.
Regards,
José

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search