The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weirdest place you've ever recorded (and gear)!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Weirdest place you've ever recorded (and gear)!

Hi!

Today I was remembering of a day in 2014, when I recorded a drum kit inside a Volkswagen Kombi (Type 2 or Bus) from the 70's. Live recording!

Last edited by KeithRichards; 2 weeks ago at 09:46 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

VW's yeah!

I the early 70's I used to record vocals in a VW bug parked right outside my basement door, worked well as a vocal booth!

But drums in a Kombi, you got me beat!
Haha
Great stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

grande dixence

in the late 90's during wintertime, i recorded a jazz ensemble inside one of the largest barrages, high up in the swiss alps - i don't recall technical details, recording could have been on two da-88's or to an early mx-2424.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I the early 70's I used to record vocals in a VW bug parked right outside my basement door, worked well as a vocal booth!

But drums in a Kombi, you got me beat!
Haha
Great stuff.
Haha, awesome! I can only imagine! Do you remember how the vocals sounded?!
I've always wanted to record vocals inside a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
in the late 90's during wintertime, i recorded a jazz ensemble inside one of the largest barrages, high up in the swiss alps - i don't recall technical details, recording could have been on two da-88's or to an early mx-2424.
Wow, man, I can only imagine how inspiring this experience was!! That view...

Just if someone wants to check the drum kit in the Kombi!

(Drums (no samples added!), bass, elec gtr and harmonica performances are real.
Vocal, ac gtr and piano were re-recorded (in a 'modest' setup = Duet2 + Tlm102/SM58.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I had the entire family of 'My Family and other Animals' inside a Fort Sierra Estate in Corfu to
record wild dialog for a storm sequence, we were plagued with motor boats.....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRichards View Post
I can only imagine how inspiring this experience was!! That view...
well, it was INSIDE the barrage! (but yes, the view is spectacular and to get from a arolla to the lac des dix in summertime is a challenge but absolutely worth the pain) there a kilometers of caverns inside the barrage, one only gets there with the permission and under the supervision of the military.
i had to run endless cables (with help of some soldiers) as the musicians were dozens if not hundrets of meters apart; there were amazing but very scary sounds inside the dam (as the pressure against it must be insane)...

as i speak of it, i remember one technical detail: i put up a couple of ambient mics and fed them (together with a bass drum) into an eventide (to pitch them down an octave or two) and on to a subwoofer: the low end rumbling across the caverns was epic!

oh, and we threw a pic onto the outside of the barrage using a very powerful pani projector - around the projector, snow was melting but since it took us a couple of hours to get back to the projector after the event (was it the celebration of some kinda anniversary? don't recall...), power cables were frozen; couldn't get them out before spring :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
This has been covered before. Do a search.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
correct - but if that'd be the basis for all discussions around here, i fear about 90% of the threads (or more) would become instantly redundant. and bumping zombie threads isn't necessarily to everyone's liking...

if you don't like the topic, just don't participate: without our contribution, topics of less interest or threads repating the same topic over and over eventually will get abandoned anyway.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
correct - but if that'd be the basis for all discussions around here, i fear about 90% of the threads (or more) would become instantly redundant. and bumping zombie threads isn't necessarily to everyone's liking...

if you don't like the topic, just don't participate: without our contribution, topics of less interest or threads repating the same topic over and over eventually will get abandoned anyway.
Agree....and the topic of this thread is so open-ended, it's going to generate a set of new experiences from recent participants, which would be absent from a thread resurrected by a search ? It's still worth doing that search, so you can recover maximal information...but not sufficient reason to dampen down this one either !
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I did a search, where I initially wanted to post my experience. But I couldn't be able to find a thread with the intention I was looking for. About this 'weirdest place' thing.

I apologize if this thread hurts any rules, so please, moderators, feel free to remove it.

(Just in time, I agree with deedeeyeah in his words.
We coexist here with (really) uncountable threads, day by day, about 'the best 1073', 'ITB or OTB', 'original vs clone', 'which converter is better', 'external clock or not' etc, etc, etc. Subjects already discussed repeatedly, for infinite times, 90%, I'd say. Just saying. But I apologize anyways.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not mine but here's an older interesting project.

The Silophone was an installation in Montreal QC. Basically, someone stuck a PA speaker and microphone in an old grain silo and connected it to phone and internet so you could with call and listen to the reverb or upload a sound and have it returned to you re-recorded with the sound of the empty silo.

Would love to have access to it these days!

http://www.undefine.ca/en/projects/silophone/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search