Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Food for thought, much appreciated.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'm guessing the horns were overdubbed?
The horn players did theirs from home. And it sounds to me like there's an extra layer or two of bgv's. Doesn't detract from the vibe, though, I don't think. And this this setup is pretty much the way they're used to making their records, including the one that got nominated for a Grammy last year.

They're not world-famous, for sure. But local heroes in LA.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's an audio clip from a social distanced COVID worship thing in a bare naked, hard, square room. Thank the Lord for Beta87A supercardioid vocal mics, and a JolyMod NT-1 on the djembe. Guitars, bass, and keys were DI. Violin was a Beta87A. There was a bit of foldback into four small wedges so folks could hear themselves.

Live stereo "in the room" mix on the installed PreSonus SL32 Series II. Mixed entirely on UltraSone 650HD cans to a TASCAM DR-60D. One take per tune after a run-through. No edits. Big fun! The video guy synched this audio up to a two camera cut.

This sounded a lot better going in (this file) than after processing by the online algorithms. The file was finished in Logic Pro X with a touch of compression, and a bit of SilverVerb.

Enjoy!

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Jazz band in one room - Recording approach-img_9431.jpg   Jazz band in one room - Recording approach-img_9432.jpg  
Attached Files

FoB_All Creatures.mp3 (5.42 MB, 114 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Harry, nice work--the lead singer sold the lyric and the supporting musicians exhibited professional session skill. IMO DIing everything that would have hot back line amping on a R&R type set up allows any number of micing possibilities. For many reasons I prefer high end tube mics in card pattern for vocals that will deliver more sonic detail while delivering the requisite tube and transformer warm glue that us "old timers" covet because we remember the magic so well.
(You are absolutely right about the online algorithms)
Hugh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search