The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Outdoor Stereo Recording techniques/Windscreen recommendations?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Outdoor Stereo Recording techniques/Windscreen recommendations?

Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of live streaming for events, and am planning out a weekly singer songwriter night. I have a private balcony that will be used for livestreaming, and I have a couple of ideas that I'm seeking guidance on.

I'm leaning towards using a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers to capture one or two guitars, and one or two singers. It would be 2 people max sitting around 2 or 3 feet away from each other at the most. For SDC choice, I'll be using either the iSK Pearls or iSK Little Gems, as I already own the pearls and just ordered the Little Gems. I think the hypercardioid pattern on the Little Gems would be useful, and I like their bright dry sound overall.

I was considering doing a sort of mid side arrangement with 2 cardioid mics off to the side and 2 hypercardioid mics in the center towards the singers' heads since I have access to mid-side EQ in OBS. I'm a big fan of the intimate, dry sound of the Tiny Desk Concert series, and I'm aiming for that focused sound in spirit. I have a Midas MR18 so I have plenty of inputs available. What stereo mic techniques would you all recommend looking into?

Two other areas I'm looking into are stands and windscreens. I'm looking into low visibility ways to set up microphones while still getting a good close sound. Maybe clamp stands for the table? Anyone out there have strong preferences on clamp stands?

For windscreens I'm all ears for good windscreens under $30 each that give good reliable results outside if they're out there. They don't have to be perfect, but they have to be a significant step up from the $1 foam windscreens that come with mics.

Looking forward to hearing your insights.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search