The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I did this recording 50 years ago...
Old 4 weeks ago
I did this recording 50 years ago...

This was done at the National Cathedral in Washington DC on May 10th 1970. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzzj...ature=youtu.be

I used two Neumann M-49 microphones on 30 foot high Neumann stands for the orchestra and choir pickup. I used two EV 666 microphones for the soloist. It was recorded onto a Scully 280 tape machine running at 7.5 ips. The console was an API and belonged to the National Cathedral. I brought the Scully and the microphones from Oberlin College where I worked. The monitoring was done on a pair of Koss Pro-4 headphones off the console. The National Cathedral has a reverb time of 8.2 seconds.

This was Oberlin College's response to the killing of four students at Kent State University on May 4th 1970.

I hope you can give a listen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thank you for sharing this, Tom. A fitting memorial.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinknot View Post
Thank you for sharing this, Tom. A fitting memorial.
You did good Tom...it is indeed a fitting memorial, and all the more of a success considering the challenges of the equipment, the location and the size of the ensemble involved.

It was moving to read the bigger context mentioned in the program notes...a memorial to the four students, as well as the victims of the war in South East Asia.

It's good that this performance records the local response of the student's community, alongside Neil Young's/ CSNY angry riposte ('Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, we're finally on our own.....') Young termed the Kent State incident as 'probably the biggest lesson ever learned at an American place of learning'

Again, well done Tom....these events deserve never to be forgotten.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I remember Kent State well. It marked and still marks the nation. I also attended a "normal school" which had a former Kent State professor on the faculty. In 1973 he could not bring himself to speak of the event. The post WW II years have been difficult for everyone. Thanks for your post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love the Mozart requiem - sad, sweet, and exultant. A perfect memorial to the victims of the Kent State shootings and just as welcome today. And a recording that stands the test of time. Thank you for posting this Tom.
Old 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies. Be safe and STAY HEALTHY!!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search