The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie

The project to which I referred came to be last week, as part of a larger "Hymns Sing and soloists" COVID event. Along with two 45-minute sessions with organ, piano, harp, flute and acoustic guitar in support and featured, we recorded 10 organ pieces after the "Hymns Sing" had finished.

The mics (for the organ work) were Gefell M296 omnis, approximately 12'/4m above the stage, in a 30cm AB arrangement toed out slightly to point at the organ cases, centered on the 12'/4m wide baptismal font and stained glass to the 70'/25m ceiling (see the photos). The cases start at about 20'/6.5m above the stage, and run up to about 60'/20m. Width is approximately 50'/18m. The mics were at "mid-stage", about 40'/13m from the wall. There was also a pair of MKH8040 in a 25cm AB deployment out in the center aisle (for some room 'verb) about 80' from the front wall. They were straight-on to the organ and "aimed" up a bit at the cases. Record chain (and audio feed to the video room) was mics->Midas DL16 stagebox internal mic amps->Midas M32R desk->Logic Pro X (USB) and from the M32R Main Outs to the church's NewTek Tricaster for live event recording, and to my Tascam DR60D for back-up.

The "Hymns Sing" portion included 6 vocals (director, S/A/T/B/B) that were captured on Shure Beta87a, SM86 and Sennheiser E865 mics (properly social distanced, of course) and a DPA4061 inside the Steinway D for a bit of presence. The were positioned under the organ and behind the D on short stick. It was what it was.

Also deployed was a AT4050 for flute and trumpet spot, and a RODE NT1 JolyMod for harp and classical guitar spot.

The one real advantage to the COVID-related total shutdown of downtown Nashville was the absence of ANY street noise whatsoever... just a tiny bit of blower/HVAC noise present. That was... nice.

Your comments and criticisms are sought, and appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and listening.

HB

PS: Sorry for the sideways picture. Can't figure out how to straighten it.
Attached Thumbnails
Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie-overall.jpg   Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie-recordnest.jpg   Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie-8040ab.jpg   Organ in a Brick Room, Deuxième Partie-m296.jpg  
Attached Files

Organ #2.1 050120.mp3 (4.84 MB, 229 views)

Last edited by hbphotoav; 4 weeks ago at 05:16 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Your comments and criticisms are sought, and appreciated.
I think this sample sounds quite nice. I went looking for the previous sample in the previous thread to compare to, but don't see it any more. Which leaves you at the mercy of my decidedly sketchy memory.

Basically, I'm hearing a nice flat frequency response, good bottom end, no harshness in the mids, no distortions (both of which I remember hearing before, but that was apparently an MP3 problem, not a recording chain problem). It's got a reasonable stereo image, and the reverb sounds nicer than I remember. And the hall doesn't sound bright at all to me -- I thought you said it was very bright when the seats were not filled? Hmmm...

The omnis feel like a nice improvement to me. Nice solid organ recording, that is. I'd be quite happy with that. But my opinion is meaningless. What's the client think? What do you think?
Old 4 weeks ago
Great sound, Harry!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
The omnis feel like a nice improvement to me. Nice solid organ recording, that is. I'd be quite happy with that. But my opinion is meaningless. What's the client think? What do you think?
Your opinion is not meaningless... else I wouldn't have asked!

As to the client... they have been OK with AT mini choir mics over the loft for a couple of decades, replacing C451s on the bespoke AKG thin boom stands... I never understood that decision (except from the "sightline/mics-are-ugly" perspective), and "house" sound from another pair of C451s bolted to the oaken balcony wall 12' above the main aisle (just below where the "full-on front" image was made). They're happy to have me volunteer whenever I can. There's a long history with these folks... it's the church of my wife's youth, we were married there in '77, with her family having been active for well over a century. I generally can justify it as a "test bed" for new gear and determining "best practices".

As to this recording... I thought it one of my better captures in that space.

But... while there are LOTS of studio and live SR guys in this town, there are not so many "live acoustic location recording" folks... i.e., my M296 pair came from a studio guy who swapped two unused pairs of Gefell omnis for photos of his... studio. * I really desire comment and criticism! *

It's the main way I learn stuff these days.

HB
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm no authority on organ recording, having only done a handful of pipe organ sessions, but I have listened to lots (mostly old stuff on LP...E. Power Biggs, etc ). I think you nailed it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Great job! That Chamade is huge haha...

I'm no recording expert like you see in my own beginner thread about my road to recording my church organ.

However, I'm an organist... I thought this recording was great and I could feel how powerful the organ must be in the room. :D Only question I would ask if the Chamade is that much overpowering in reality (in the room) or maybe exaggerated a little in the recording? It almost dwarfed the full organ pleno of the organ. :D
However, I have no idea if it's possible to contain the Chamade a little haha... it's after all of course one of the loudest stop you can possible get on the organ. :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
Great job! That Chamade is huge haha...

...Only question I would ask if the Chamade is that much overpowering in reality (in the room) or maybe exaggerated a little in the recording? It almost dwarfed the full organ pleno of the organ. :D
However, I have no idea if it's possible to contain the Chamade a little haha... it's after all of course one of the loudest stop you can possible get on the organ. :D
Thanks. I try to have 6-10dB of headroom for that beast...

And, yes, the Chamade IS THAT LOUD! The omnis onstage were physically closer to (though more "under" than "in front of") the trumpet bells than the cases above. Makes one long for the Zimbelstern, it does...

Between the Chamade's "natural" projection and the reinforcement off the room's brick walls and glass, it sometimes gets the overall level (with choir and orchestra) into the neighborhood of 100dBA (so says my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter) at the FoH mixing position in the first balcony... about 100' out from the cases, and directly inline with the Trompette en Chamade.

HB
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search