The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lord of the Rings BBC radio play
Old 23rd April 2020
Lives for gear
Lord of the Rings BBC radio play

Does anyone have any insight into the technical details of this production? I’ve been listening to it on my long walks and it really is wonderful. At times, it is so 3D that it sounds binaural. When multiple voice actors are doing a scene, you could swear that some of them are behind you. You can also hear them move slightly While talking (like turning their face or maybe shifting their position) in the sound stage, so it would seem that some sort of coincident pair was used for the dialogue. A binaural head? A Blumlein pair? The tonality of the voices certainly does sound ribbon-like.

I thought maybe Roger would have an idea.

Last edited by bwanajim; 23rd April 2020 at 05:27 AM..
Old 23rd April 2020
Lives for gear
Stereo drama is very convincing in the right hands.
I have heard some binaural and been un moved but effective coincident technique with a wet/ dry studio and versatile spot fx can be v real.
Many actors lack radio technique now, Cumberbatch is a genius at radio , his voices most convincing.
I will research Lord of the Rings play ,its probably quite old.
There is a good movie biog of Tolkein on Sky Movies at this moment, a very touching and erudite
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...s3PcKs5vNyL6JS

Its 1981 a 26 parter with a great cast , real BBC Rep.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Nut

http://briansibleytheworks.blogspot....uction_23.html might be of interest. The one studio photo there (attached below) shows individual spots at least for that particular scene - C451s on extensions, probably.

The coincident C426B is/was used for The Archers more recently - its late 70s/early 80s equivalent was the C422, and given the BBC's AKG purchasing tendencies it's hard to imagine one wouldn't have been available...
Attached Thumbnails
Lord of the Rings BBC radio play-radionighy460_2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thank you! That was interesting. I feel a bit out of it for not knowing about “The Archers”! How could I have missed this long-running show? I watched some of the behind the scenes videos on YouTube. I wonder how much has changed since 1981.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinknot View Post
http://briansibleytheworks.blogspot....uction_23.html might be of interest. The one studio photo there (attached below) shows individual spots at least for that particular scene - C451s on extensions, probably.

The coincident C426B is/was used for The Archers more recently - its late 70s/early 80s equivalent was the C422, and given the BBC's AKG purchasing tendencies it's hard to imagine one wouldn't have been available...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search