The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Field recording in the time of quarantine
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Field recording in the time of quarantine

Today I realized how little traffic I can hear in the city. Also the planes are few and far between.

So this is just a reminder to everyone who has the same opportunity to record things that would otherwise be almost impossible or much noisier. It could be a very useful material for SFX libraries etc.

Be careful and record as much as you can!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

A few days ago I noticed the hummingbirds at the feeder by the window were "much louder". It took me a few seconds to realize they aren't louder but everything else is a bunch quieter.

Still pretty noisy here in the thick of San Diego but I'd say the overall background noise is several decibels lower lately. Not sure I could get very good wildlife recordings but it might be interesting to see what could be captured in a terrible but much improved situation.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
What a nice and different perspective on what's going on right now. I can learn a lesson from these views. Thanks.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
A few days ago I noticed the hummingbirds at the feeder by the window were "much louder". It took me a few seconds to realize they aren't louder but everything else is a bunch quieter.

Still pretty noisy here in the thick of San Diego but I'd say the overall background noise is several decibels lower lately. Not sure I could get very good wildlife recordings but it might be interesting to see what could be captured in a terrible but much improved situation.

Well you won't get pure nature sound. But you might get some unique and nice city recordings. It's not day for night situation. Just that there are some sound features of the city that are often swamped with traffic noise. And now you can record them cleaner. Adding more traffic if need is obviously easy if you need it .
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
What a nice and different perspective on what's going on right now. I can learn a lesson from these views. Thanks.

D.
Yes, we need this, because things are seriously broken and it's only starting unfotunatelly. So let's take advantage of cleaner air, water and soundscape .
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Yes, we need this, because things are seriously broken and it's only starting unfotunatelly. So let's take advantage of cleaner air, water and soundscape .
Great thread! A few nights ago i checked my 'off-grid sound system', half-acoustic guitar, wah wah pedal, space echo stomp box, microphone also into space box and out to a Sony TC 153 SD cassette deck with loudspeaker's mic inputs, all battery powered. Together with a big ol bass drum... voila one-man band party sans electricity! But meanwhile enjoying the bird sounds too much to make noise... brilliant idea to record street sounds/ambience now.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

My town sounds much smaller now.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
DaveyJones's Avatar
 

I, too, have been enjoying a.mich quieter London these last few days from the balcony. It does make a huge difference!

I have seen videos from Venice where the water has run clear and ports in Sardinia (I think) where dolphins have arrived. I think it could be quite possible to see more wildlife in our cities as we in England now go into an actual lockdown (at last).

Good luck all!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 

I'm glad these observations are being shared.

Without wishing to appear too New Age-y, I must say that changes in the act of listening itself have been very noticeable over the last several days. It is weirdly beautiful and haunting at the same time.

Where I live, west of Boston, it has been a very moving experience to walk around alone in rural areas. Despite the hardships our species is facing, the subtle nuances of the natural world which are so much more audible than usual are a precious (if not necessarily commensurate) gift, in my opinion.

Best wishes to all
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Exclamation

The UK is now in lockdown.

Everyone has to remain at home unless you are in a vital industry (eg: hospitals, pharmacies, food shops).

All shops now have to close - all pubs, clubs, theatres, etc. were already closed.

You are now only allowed out to buy essential food and to take a little excercise by yourself or with your own household.

You have to be at least 2m from anyone else (except your own household).

This is serious folks.

It now looks as if Coronavirus did NOT originate in China, as something similar had been seen in the Lombardy area of Italy as early as October/Nevember last year - well before it was spotted in Wuhan.

So - field recording is going to get very awkward if you are not allowed out of the house.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
So - field recording is going to get very awkward if you are not allowed out of the house.
If you have a back garden, that might be the opportunity to record, feed a pair of mic cables to a stand left outside (with wind/rain protection), try the nighttime hours.

The amazing thing is, the population size is the same as ever...we're just all indoors and not buzzing around like flies in a bottle.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
It now looks as if Coronavirus did NOT originate in China, as something similar had been seen in the Lombardy area of Italy as early as October/Nevember last year - well before it was spotted in Wuhan.
So says a Chinese newspaper.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
So says a Chinese newspaper.
No, the news came from Italy and I saw it in the UK - nothing to do with a Chinese news report.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

No help at all to play "Pin the Tail on the Donkey". The science of virus pandemics does not work like that. That China is a large country with more than a quarter of the world's population would make it more likely to be the location for a virus outbreak. What we have is a global health mess, and a mess which requires focus and action, not name-calling and denial.

COVID19 arrived in South Korea and in the USA on the same day. South Korea got straight on the case. The USA didn't. Look at the statistics today. What sense is there in blaming China for a problem enabled by inaction?

President Trump seems to believe that pinning the tail on China for COVID19 will win him the next election. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but playing this silly game will not slow down the virus, will cost many lives, and will fill US hospitals with ICU patients
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The UK is now in lockdown.

So - field recording is going to get very awkward if you are not allowed out of the house.

I'm sure there are opportunities eventhough you can't really leave your home. From roomtones, open windows to backyards. You can stick some DPA lavs to your backpack and record on the way to a shop.

Also there are different quarantines for different parts of the world and some might be looser than other. So of course be careful and don't put yourself in trouble.


And please guys, keep this thread on topic. I'm sure discussions about the origin of the virus fit really well in some more general thread about it. Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
The sun is shining and Haydn string quartets still sound wonderful.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
The sun is shining and Haydn string quartets still sound wonderful.
For those of us without amazingly quiet studio spaces a few less db's of background noise is a great upgrade to our playback, hifi, or stereo systems.

Have you ever noticed that your stereo sounds great late at night? Now it sounds like that in the daytime and even better still at night.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
In the meantime here is something to cheer your day.

Is should appeal to those who have ever been caught out by live mics!!


https://twitter.com/i/status/1240413672314454016


All in the best possible taste.
I've spent many many hours running live sound for corporate meetings with a large audience and lots of wireless lav mics.

In almost 20 years the only mic I ever had come through the mains that shouldn't have was because the wearer insisted on having the fader left up and that she would have control of turning it on and off.

It was a Tony Robbins meeting which was like 13 or 14 hour long days and during a presentation I noticed a very strange quiet noise that nobody else was even noticing and for a bit I couldn't figure out what the hell it was...

I put on my phones and started soloing channels and figured out that the woman who insisted on having her mic left open didn't turn it off and had fallen asleep back stage. Luckily she slept rather quietly but made just enough noise for me to hear it and think there was maybe something wrong with my gear rather than snoring loudly or waking up and talking for all to hear which I'm sure would have somehow ended up being all my fault.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Good time for Hollywood outdoor car chase scenes to be shot, so little traffic.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
I've spent many many hours running live sound for corporate meetings with a large audience and lots of wireless lav mics.

In almost 20 years the only mic I ever had come through the mains that shouldn't have was because the wearer insisted on having the fader left up and that she would have control of turning it on and off.

It was a Tony Robbins meeting which was like 13 or 14 hour long days and during a presentation I noticed a very strange quiet noise that nobody else was even noticing and for a bit I couldn't figure out what the hell it was...

I put on my phones and started soloing channels and figured out that the woman who insisted on having her mic left open didn't turn it off and had fallen asleep back stage. Luckily she slept rather quietly but made just enough noise for me to hear it and think there was maybe something wrong with my gear rather than snoring loudly or waking up and talking for all to hear which I'm sure would have somehow ended up being all my fault.
I cancelled that post because I thought it might have been in bad taste, but here it is now is full technicolour - or should that be technicolor!?

In the UK we have pantomimes just before and after Christmas. I was once asked (once was enough) to do the sound for a theatre production. The mics were left in the dressing rooms and switched on for the cast. About thirty minutes before curtain up I checked the mics on headphones, and when I got to those left in the dressing room for two female members of the cast, DIck Whittington's girlfriend and the fairy, the conversation was enough to make me blush, which is not an easy thing to do. I caught enough to not want to check their mics again! The bit of the conversation I heard the fairy launch into is seared into my memory to this day!!

Let's just say, lady standards are slipping.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Lives for gear
'Ten Miles to London and still no Dick'
My favourite Panto line...
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

In corporate we usually lock mics on and just manage faders as needed so over the years I have caught quite a few nonpublic conversations in PFL. Definitely could have made some good side money blackmailing people who were trashing the hell out of the person talking on stage.

It's good to be able to off topic a bit here with some stories but I will see if I can manage to get the hummingbird feeder filled and do a record of some hummer wings tomorrow when it's early and quiet to get this back on topic here.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump