The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I was asked to do remote streaming from a Cememtery
Old 2 weeks ago
I was asked to do remote streaming from a Cememtery

I know this is a bit unusual...

I got a call yesterday to do some live streaming from a cemetery for a funeral and they wanted both audio and video. I was told they wanted "good quality audio and video". So it got me thinking about how someone would do that given the technology we have available today.

The cemetery does not have high speed internet, I know I asked.

The person calling suggested a cell phone and or a tablet streaming live to the internet.

Ideas or suggestions????

Have you ever thought about this?

I turned down the job but inquiring minds want to do some research.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You could probably bend Zoom (no, not the shaver recorder) to your specific needs: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...es-coronavirus

Maybe use it with one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7EA...ature=youtu.be
https://mailchi.mp/audiotechnology/i...y?e=e5365b327d

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 01:09 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
You could probably bend Zoom (no, not the shaver recorder) to your specific needs: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/202...es-coronavirus

Maybe use it with one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7EA...ature=youtu.be
https://mailchi.mp/audiotechnology/i...y?e=e5365b327d
Thanks but both of these require some type of wireless or wired internet connection and in the middle of a cemetery that may not be possible. One of my friends suggested a SAT phone but I do not have access to that technology. I told the person who called that we could record the ceremony and then put it up on YouTube but the family wanted it streamed live. The cemetery is not in a populous part of the county and there are no wired or wireless locations anywhere near the cemetery.

A few years back we got asked to stream some high school athletic events live to prospective college recruiters but when we did some investigation it would have been prohibitively expensive and the places where the events would happen did not have any high speed internet connections so we passed. I don't think they ever found anyone to do what they wanted. Oh yes and they wanted multi camera and HD video to boot. (FWIW they wanted all of this done for $200 an event)

FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...and people probably would still rather accept a horrible feed of the horrible event than not havinging it streamed at all?!

maybe i'm old-fashioneld and hence not getting it: imo there are a couple of things which CANNOT get beamed through cyberspace or they get devaluated by the moment they get digitized...

(making music is amongst them!)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Most cell companies offer a mobile hotspot product (aka mifi over cellular), or there are third-party solutions such as Skyroam. They use cellular data; i'm not sure about upload speeds for live streaming but if there's a 5g network available maybe it could work?

We have one of these gizmos because my girlfriend refuses to have a cellphone of any kind, but she loves being able to check email, browse the web, and make Skype calls on her tablet when she's commuting (public transit) or when we're traveling. We've been able to use it for Skype voice calls but haven't tried video chats....I bet it's up to the task, though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
The simplest method is to use Zoom or Facebook Live. Both are scalable and will stream to fit the available bandwidth. Generally if you have cell phone service you can stream it on those two platforms even with low service levels.

I also would record a backup with a Video Camera with a SDHC Memory Card - such as a Sony NX5U.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Well, right now my phone's internet speed (no WiFi, just 4G cell connection) is 15Mbps down and 5Mbps upload. I'm indoors, and there are plenty of buildings around. With line-of-sight to a tower, I'd probably get better numbers.

In theory, then, it should be able to stream 1080p 30fps. Just. I'd probably play it safe and set for 720p, which should be adequate for home viewing.

I'd use USB on-the-go to run a 2-channel soundcard for audio capture, and I'd mount the whole thing in some kind of hand-held gimbal type device.

The whole thing would run for hours on a reasonable-sized USB battery - the only sticking point would be your data plan.

Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Plenty of news stuff is done via 4G instead of satellite nowadays.

I think there are quite a few devices that use multiple 4G SIMs (can be by multiple providers) to do this.

https://www.mobileviewpoint.com/prod...oders/baselink
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I made a video recording of a grave marking ceremony by the local Daughters of the American Revolution a few years ago.

Got to think about who's standing where and where to put a recorder/microphone with a wind screen.

I'd think for a livestream, one thing would be to check the provider's coverage map whether there's cell coverage at the cemetery.

It's possible they would like to have the people viewing the livestream to be able to comment live, but in their grief, they may be thinking of the livestream as a way of including family by their being able to view the ceremony in real time vs. a video afterwards.

You can't discount how grief influences decisions over things when a family member has passed away. Grief can make us all ask for things that may seem unusual.

These kind of requests may become more frequent as it becomes more difficult for people to travel due to the virus.

As crazy as it may seem, there are probably a lot more situations where people would like to be able to stream something that's important to them, but they don't quite know how and would gladly pay just to have it done. There's a lot of college classes that will have to be streamed, and some of these profs haven't the first clue where to put a mic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I got a call yesterday to do some live streaming from a cemetery for a funeral and they wanted both audio and video. I was told they wanted "good quality audio and video". So it got me thinking about how someone would do that given the technology we have available today.

The person calling suggested a cell phone and or a tablet streaming live to the internet.

Ideas or suggestions????

Thanks in advance!
Get that paper!

I bet some of EU friends will chime in as 4g/cellular internet is used there quite often, even in structures
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks but both of these require some type of wireless or wired internet connection and in the middle of a cemetery that may not be possible. One of my friends suggested a SAT phone but I do not have access to that technology. I told the person who called that we could record the ceremony and then put it up on YouTube but the family wanted it streamed live. The cemetery is not in a populous part of the county and there are no wired or wireless locations anywhere near the cemetery.

A few years back we got asked to stream some high school athletic events live to prospective college recruiters but when we did some investigation it would have been prohibitively expensive and the places where the events would happen did not have any high speed internet connections so we passed. I don't think they ever found anyone to do what they wanted. Oh yes and they wanted multi camera and HD video to boot. (FWIW they wanted all of this done for $200 an event)

FWIW
Thomas... thats the rub... can you get a useable signal at the location? If not? It can’t be done, period.

And the budget... oh, lord. God bless them for trying to have a responsible service in light of this pandemic, though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Thomas... thats the rub... can you get a useable signal at the location? If not? It can’t be done, period.

And the budget... oh, lord. God bless them for trying to have a responsible service in light of this pandemic, though.
I turned down the job. I would like to thank everyone who replied. I really don't want to get into this type of work. I also do not have a smart cell phone and really did not want to buy one for this one event. I see more and more people doing this (streaming live events) and maybe this is a way for people here on this list to make some money in this down time.

People expectations in these types of events are always hard to meet and I have been involved in other live events where we recorded the video and audio for and most times the people want network quality video and audio but want to pay for video surveillance quality productions. We use all pro gear but filming a live event when you have no control over the setting or the lighting is always tricky to say the least.

I hope everyone here stays safe and HEALTHY!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
When choosing to engage in video, you can easily get caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Live streaming can be more complex to set up for, with many points of failure (eg upload connection failures), some of which are always going to be outside your control. However, at the end of the shoot, it's over, for better or worse, and that's the end of the gig.

If you record it first, you can have more factors under your control, and providing all your camera settings are fine and the camera and audio recorder powering is fail-safe, you can bring home the bacon.

However, that's not the end of the gig, as you then have video and audio editing to do, before a final product can be delivered. Naturally this adds hours on top of a simple (even a complex) streamcast.

You choose which you're prepared to engage with, knowing these 2 scenarios... and sometimes there's only one of these roads that's possible to choose
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In my experience, most graveside services consist of very, very few remarks and a prayer before the casket is lowered into the grave. There isn't a great deal of content except for the emotions of family and friends. I personally have mixed feelings about making a cemetery video in part because I'm not sure what you'd want to preserve about that very, very difficult personal experience.

Now the eulogy and celebration of life is a different matter because you're capturing a summation of the person and the person's life and a sense of how others regarded them. From a family history viewpoint, this is useful to future generations to see how family and friends said goodbye.

I don't think studio standard perfection is required or expected. Just shoot a decent video but do it unobtrusively.

With the new social distancing, maybe this takes on more importance to livestream the celebration of life. Even church services are ceasing to be in person in favor of life streaming around here.

The local funeral home is hinting they may be changing how they do things, too. They are obviously concerned.
Old 2 weeks ago
We have been asked to do some pretty strange things...this would rate towards the top of the list.

This maybe, as 2manyrocks says, the "new normal" but it is really not my "cup of tea" so I will pass. Now if it is a funeral, funeral mass or memorial I probably would do it, just not live stream it.

Too many things can go wrong with live streaming. Then family will say, if something happens to the feed, we are not going to pay you as we did not get what we wanted. I had a very bad experience when I was doing the Cleveland Opera broadcasts live. We did the remote with a Zephyr over telco lines for the local Classical Music station. About 10 minutes from the end of the opera a stage hand, trying to leave early, opened a sealed door and tore out our phone lines. We went off the air with some of the most important parts of the Opera yet to be sung. I still got paid but the station was "not pleased" and neither was the Opera company. That was with old time tech and we were directly connected to the telco network. With live streaming using a cell phone who know what could happen.

FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That's valuable and useful perspective to consider what can go wrong.

I'm wondering if the internet can bear all the traffic that's about to happen?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Now I broadcast live from funerals and at the cemetery. New type of work for me. What else can I do? Using lavs on the priest and celebrants. I even mic the grave site so that the audience can hear the dirt hitting the casket.

I am getting very good feedback on this service.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
A little graveyard humor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I turned down the job. I would like to thank everyone who replied. I really don't want to get into this type of work. I also do not have a smart cell phone and really did not want to buy one for this one event. I see more and more people doing this (streaming live events) and maybe this is a way for people here on this list to make some money in this down time.

People expectations in these types of events are always hard to meet and I have been involved in other live events where we recorded the video and audio for and most times the people want network quality video and audio but want to pay for video surveillance quality productions. We use all pro gear but filming a live event when you have no control over the setting or the lighting is always tricky to say the least.

I hope everyone here stays safe and HEALTHY!
Well put, Thomas

Probably at least ten dollars’ worth of karma to tell clients like this to save their money and pick the smartest and youngest family member to cover the event with their own tech for the fam
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Well put, Thomas

Probably at least ten dollars’ worth of karma to tell clients like this to save their money and pick the smartest and youngest family member to cover the event with their own tech for the fam
Yep a cellphone and live Facebook streaming video, and freedom of movement given to the phone holder to roam around as required during the service should cover the situation adequately for most
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can only add that for a decade or so we have run a series of quarterly meetings with a phone patch connection from a corporate headquarters. In a few cases we’ve been forced to use a cell connection rather than the usual hardwire, and the cell connection has always sounded substantially better. I can’t say that’s universally true of course.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:

Ideas or suggestions????

Thanks in advance!
Audio wise, you need a codec.

There are several that are battery powered and can work over the mobile phone network.

EG: AETA ScoopFone 4G - there is even a codec for the iPhone - the eScoopfone - this is a free download, but there is a small fee for the SIP accound needed to use it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search