The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Realistic PZM vs. DR-680 Hum
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Realistic PZM vs. DR-680 Hum

Hi all.

I have had a Tascam DR-680 for about 5 years and really love it. I often video community theater and orchestra concerts and either plugging it into the sound board or some cheapie condensers I have it makes a great recording and plays nice with FCPX.

I also have an OLD pair of Realistic PZMs my parents bought in the early 90s (adapted to XLR output). Yes they're not THAT great and I should just buy something better BUT I have an odd problem. I get quite a bit of mains hum using them with the DR680 when it's on AC adapter; no problem on batteries.

This doesn't happen with any other mics I've used with it, and stranger yet the PZMs have no hum on anything else I've plugged them into - the old A&H or newer digital Yamaha at the theater, my Mackie 1202, my Scarlett 2i4 USB.

Any clues???
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My old Realistic PZM is stock and uses a battery pack and unbalanced plug. Perhaps the wiring conversion is where your ground problems lies?
Good luck.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You might try returning the PZM output connector back to TS unbalanced, then running that through a DI box. I've found this gives great hum reduction, and the DI gives you the balanced output you desire....many DI's also have ground lift, which can further assist with noise reduction
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by martspzm View Post
Hi all.

I get quite a bit of mains hum using them with the DR680 when it's on AC adapter; no problem on batteries.

Any clues???
They don't know the words.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Have you tried an XLR ground lift?

Also, open up the XLR connector and see if pin one is attached to the chassis of the connector. If so, detached pin one from the connector chassis. This could solve your ground hum problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search