The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony PCM D100 in 2020...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sony PCM D100 in 2020...

Hello, all! Watched a video on "The Youtube" last night that rekindled my interest in these units.

Is the Sony PCM D100 still the top of the crop in this form-factor, despite it's age?

I always think I'm going to head out with a stereo pair, and stand, and all the etc etc, but never do, and so love to have a high quality and self contained unit. I have a Tascam DR100mkIII, and it's fine, but I don't use it as much as I'd like, and the sound quality is definitely a factor in my lack of excitement.

I checked BandH and saw that the handheld Nagra units (LIO, SD) are no longer available, but didn't really look at the used market yet.

Thanks, all!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Lastima View Post
Hello, all! Watched a video on "The Youtube" last night that rekindled my interest in these units.

Is the Sony PCM D100 still the top of the crop in this form-factor, despite it's age?

I always think I'm going to head out with a stereo pair, and stand, and all the etc etc, but never do, and so love to have a high quality and self contained unit. I have a Tascam DR100mkIII, and it's fine, but I don't use it as much as I'd like, and the sound quality is definitely a factor in my lack of excitement.

I checked BandH and saw that the handheld Nagra units (LIO, SD) are no longer available, but didn't really look at the used market yet.

Thanks, all!
The Tascam with a nice pair of microphones would sound better than the Sony. But, the Sony's onboard mics are of a higher quality to the DR100mk3 ones. I had both, still have the D100 because as a self-contained unit is much better, the battery life is fantastic, and a portable recorder should be portable.

https://www.classicalguitartones.com...assical-guitar
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Paul Virostek, who runs the Creative Field Recording website, has in the past few weeks posted a series of excellent and informative interviews with professional field recording engineers, several of whom mention that they still use and love the D-100. However, what caught my eye is that at least a couple of them are also using the smaller (and cheaper) Sony PCM-A10 combined with the LOM Micro Üsi omni mics.

See https://www.creativefieldrecording.com/

Note that these people are all field recordists who record ambient sounds to sell to film/video and other markets; they're not primarily recording music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I find the Sound Professionals binaural kit and the Olympus LS-11 to be a potent and ultra-light kit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Aah! I had an LS-10 (which I bought primarily via the advice of the esteemed John Willet - thank you John!) that finally pooped the bed last year. Really loved that unit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Sorry for your loss - I do wish it was bus powered as it would then be a nice overnight drop candidate using the built-in mics. The binaural I use is Plug-in Power FYI...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search