The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Learning a new skill while the virus blows over, perhaps...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Getting back to the original "learn a new skill" premise, in various capacities I've worked with an awful lot of remote and orchestral engineers who can't read music or follow a score. It really matters, and it's easy enough to get a basic handle on with a couple or three scores and CD's of same. Great project for the downtime.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Getting back to the original "learn a new skill" premise, in various capacities I've worked with an awful lot of remote and orchestral engineers who can't read music or follow a score. It really matters, and it's easy enough to get a basic handle on with a couple or three scores and CD's of same. Great project for the downtime.
..one of my goals. My tutorial book has an accompanying CD to aid this process...but I'm sure it's only a stage 1 primer for a learning process that will continue to improve with practice and exposure to a variety of music types and scores
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Brent has raised a good idea, however it is important to understand there are several levels of using charts as opposed to reading a classical music score. Most of my reading skills were attained while singing with various choral ensembles during my high school and college years. I also played bass in my high school orchestra and between the two endeavors I read well enough to get it pretty much right the first time through with a sight read. It is also important to understand the fact that being glued to a chart or score can be very detrimental to a quality performance. Great players and singers know their part and will focus on the conductor or concentrate on the groove a given ensemble is creating rather burying their head in a score and following the conductor with peripheral vision. I spent a week with the Robert Shaw organization when I was a high school junior. The KY all-state chorus was convening at the Greek theater that week in Lou. KY and the Shaw organization conducted in depth rehearsals mon. thru fri. morning and when Robert Shaw arrived for the fri. night dress rehearsal all 100 of us left the 12 written arrangements under the seats. The deal was knowing the music and your part was mandatory and we learned why in that fri. night dress rehearsal. Robert Shaw was a magnificent musical magician that knew how to completely control dynamic range and harmonic blend. Keep in mind we were 16 & 17 year old high schoolers that had excellent pitch and little if any vocal vibrato and when the great Robert Shaw told us after our dress rehearsal that we were better than his Atlanta choral that had recently performed the same arrangements of his "American Folk Collection" we were elated. I learned more about the importance of breath control and harmonic blend in that week than all of the balance of years I spent in choral work. Some of the wonderful English choral ensembles are a perfect example of this type of choral harmonic creation.
Bottom line is read the part till you learn the part and for most of us in the pop world a number chart will suffice!
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Another thought is to think about how the application of technology is going to evolve as we go through this. Live streaming has certainly picked up as a topic.
Expectations are going to change, but change in what respects? What kind of self investment is going to pay off versus what kind of looking back at the way things used to be done will be a dead end?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Another thought is to think about how the application of technology is going to evolve as we go through this. Live streaming has certainly picked up as a topic.
I do mixing and tech work for this place:

http://kulakswoodshed.com

The website's from the 1950's, but the place itself is amazing. There's a line around the block of artists wanting to live-stream when the restrictions are eased.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Thanks--I've got that bookmarked.

Some (about 30 or so) Nashville session singers just created a cell phone performance of Amazing Grace on line at this link: https://www.wsmv.com/news/a-group-of...ign=user-share
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
All Nikon School Online Classes streaming free for the month of April.

Not a tremendous amount there. . .but, yea, nice of them.

It includes 'The Art of Music Videos with Chris Hershman'.

Enjoy,

Ray H.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I was asked to mix this track containing 243 videos made by people with their phones. Some Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (based here in London) and the rest complete amateur singers. Individually everything sounds terrible, the mics in phones are dreadful and the processing (some sort of weird compression to prevent digital clipping) is just terrible AND doesn't work particularly well, to the point were a lot of tracks were digitally clipped (and not in the nice BURL AD converter type way either).

Anyway, after a lot of faffing I think this turned out quite well. A half decent sense of space considering a massive choir AND chamber orchestra.

Hope you guys enjoy! It's a shame my company name was misspelled in the credits. Sigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0t2...ature=youtu.be
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Thanks--I've got that bookmarked.

Some (about 30 or so) Nashville session singers just created a cell phone performance of Amazing Grace on line at this link: https://www.wsmv.com/news/a-group-of...ign=user-share
Theres a bit of backstory over at Sweetwater, thanks to Lynn Fuston at 3D/FB: Recording Chat... see (and enjoy) here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/na...6_IBiwYXSQJJHU
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search