The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jurisdiction in other country?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Jurisdiction in other country?

I have got some proposal (from very serious) company. They have their headquarter in the same country as me. But they want the jurisdiction to be in a other country outside of EU. They have business there but is it common that it's done in that way? Is it even legal, it open up for circumvent local legislation? It is B2B.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Exclamation

I would have a talk with them.

As both you and their headquarters are in Sweden it sounds very dodgy to want legal jurisdiction in another country - personally I would prefer EU rules.

It almost seems that they want to screw you, but couldn't under EU law.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What reason do they offer for their wish? It is very uncommon to want jurisdiction outside the country in which both business partners reside.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
What reason do they offer for their wish? It is very uncommon to want jurisdiction outside the country in which both business partners reside.
They have their legal department there, so their excuse is for their convince. I have more or less rejected this for now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I guess they do offshore banking, too, right? And their real assets are in some corporate tax haven somewhere?

If by jurisdiction they mean that the venue for enforcing the contract in court or by arbitration or whatever is where their legal department is located, it means it's that much easier for them and that much harder for you if you get in a fight with them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search