The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios
Old 10th April 2020
Super Moderator

Please, never be ashamed of posting what you have done so far. This forum is also a learning tool. If we hide what we have done from others, how can we learn for others?

Whether it's good news or bad, all perceptions are evaluated when I address the reviews of my projects.

Thank you for appreciating this drum mic'ing thread. I have so many other images I would like to post, yet I'm holding back do to the fact that I would to see posts from other recording engineers. IMHO, there is no need to make this the "Remoteness drum mic'ing" thread. This is a community of good and valuable technicians and such, no matter what that other "guy" is trying to tell you.

I love the AKG D12VR on the bass drum. Been using it a lot, yet not as much as I have used the Beyer M88. I love placing the M88 about an inch away from the front bass drum skin.

When applicable, and on other styles of music, I like to add a second mic. Having the M88 on the skin and another mic (let us say the D12VR as of late) at the hole gives me options late in post.

I happen to prefer the original M88 over the newer M88TG. Just not the same sound. As you may already know, the M88 was designed as a vocal mic, yet I love it as a bass drum mic. Even though I have used the M88TG on the bass drum skin, the newer M88TG sounds a lot more like it should be used as a voice mic to me.

Wow, 16" bass drum most sound awesome. I love small bass drums. 18" is my favorite.

On the large diaphragm condenser front, I love using a U47FET. In the tube LDC class, I have gotten great results with a M149. That's a killer mic. I have never heard it sound bad on any instrument or source capture.

FYI, I have not used an SM57 (unless it's on the rider or the client requests it) for a very longtime. The KMS105 has replaced the SM57 for snare. So many other mics can be used in place of the SM57. That said, I still have many of them in my microphone locker. Clearly the want is not there, and I haven't found the need for them as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk View Post
Great Steve. Learned a lot from this thread you started.

I’m really ashamed to post anything I’ve done so far, too amateur but I learned something from few sessions I did and you guys. I made a note from that session, now it’s gone with my ssd disk but I gotta write that down again before I forgot.

Anyway i saw d12vr(?), m88 tg as kick drum mic you used. I was leaning towards m88tg for kick mic but what’s your go to mic for let’s say jazz to pop genre?

I mostly record 16inch kick(! I know very small, but only available at my rehearsal studio for now) to 20 inch kick drum. Jazz and pop stuff as well.
Last time I miced with tube ldc with great failure, so I’m going to invest kick mic and few sm57 this time.

What Would you recommend ?
Old 4 weeks ago
I'll bite. I think most of my drums setups look a lot like yours, Steve (can't imagine why...), so I'll try to find some that are different.

I do this show usually twice a year, the content and musical styles of which varies enormously. It's not "my setup" per se, it's house mic'ing for the most part, and I just have to record and mix it. I'll add mic's where I need them, but by the time I'm coming in to record, the show has been running for a week, so I'm not going to ask them to change for me.

Always interesting are the various percussion batteries I have to deal with. This past performance in January featured Cumbia, Hip Hop, and Armenian Folk Music. I had to add an e906 on the shell of the big drum pictured below, since a big part of the sound was hitting the shell itself, which was not well captured by the 421 on the skin.

Here's what it all sounded like. Please don't judge me too harshly on this mix - I don't get much time to turn it around, and the recording conditions are far from ideal:
https://vimeo.com/386245106
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-82250699_3962024930489583_7089216003086745600_n.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-82800559_3962025417156201_2509402692149837824_n.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-82192693_3962025333822876_8669727589641748480_n.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-82509456_3962025467156196_2789455695383101440_n.jpg  

Last edited by RobAnderson; 4 weeks ago at 02:10 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I like the mk012's on overhead - my three fav's are m160's, C414B-ULS, and mk012's, though I have been known to sneak Schoeps mk4's in there on some jazz gigs :-). My first choice on more mellow kick sounds would be an M88, but I often use D112 or 421 for more rock and gospel-style gigs.

This particular setup was a little unusual for me. I was recording a live musical theatre performance with 7 channels of wireless and a small band. It was a two night run, and each night had to be setup from scratch in 45 minutes or less, and broken down in a similar amount of time.

So here, I used mk012's on the overheads, 57 on snare, and an RE20 for kick. I had tried m88 the night before, but the kick itself was way too mellow and "low-endy", so I switched to an RE20 for a little more bite. It actually did the trick nicely.

Should mention too that in this case, the overheads are not symmetrical in height - they are equidistant from the snare. The kit was so sparse that the OH's only really have the cymbal and the hat to pick up, and are also largely serving as acoustic "glue" for the whole band. Given their wide placement, I wanted the snare to localise in the center of their stereo image.

No video of this one (at least not yet - one may eventually emerge).
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-setmefree-band.jpg  

Last edited by RobAnderson; 4 weeks ago at 11:21 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here's one that took place in a more "classical" context: YouTube singer Sam Tsui teamed up with Ensemble Connect to do a mashup of Beyonce and Beethoven. Super-fun gig.

This isn't my mix in the final video, but the orchestra mix is fairly close to the rough balance I did on the spot (though I would've featured certain elements more in the mix at times...):
https://youtu.be/5csLgmrhWvQ

There was a drum set, cajon, timpani, and vibes involved.

Drums were m160's on OH, probably m88 and 57 for kick and snare; 414's on the timp overheads (nothing better for that IMHO), and, hard to see, but I rigged the vibes with 4060's hanging inside on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-samtsui-trapset.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-samtsui-timp.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-samtsui-vibes.jpg  

Last edited by RobAnderson; 4 weeks ago at 11:23 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Hey, Rob!

Thanks for posting these images.

Very cool!
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Here's a few images from a project I did with Jeff 'Tain' Watts.

No Clearsonic Plexiglas panels were harmed in the capture of these (live performance) isolated drum tracks. I just didn't want to enclose the musicians, keeping it clean and separated without boxing everyone in booths! Maintaining this 'open environment' was the key to this successful session and groove.

Doing your best to achieve the proper placement of instruments & backline with great mic positioning is key, but in the end, you're only as good as the musicians you keep. These cats made my job super simple.

Here are a couple of tunes from this session...

Mini-Driva

Farley Runs Again

Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts or any observations you'd like to discuss about this particular setup.

I'm all "ears."
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-04-no-clearsonic-plexiglas-panels-were-harmed-capture-these-live-performance-isolate.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-04-i-didnt-want-enclose-musicians.-keeping-open-environment-key-successf.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-04-great-mic-positioning-proper-placement-instruments-backline-key-but-end-y.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-04-clean-separated-without-boxing-everyone-booths-.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Here's a few images from a project I did with Jeff 'Tain' Watts.

No Clearsonic Plexiglas panels were harmed in the capture of these (live performance) isolated drum tracks. I just didn't want to enclose the musicians, keeping it clean and separated without boxing everyone in booths! Maintaining this 'open environment' was the key to this successful session and groove.

Doing your best to achieve the proper placement of instruments & backline with great mic positioning is key, but in the end, you're only as good as the musicians you keep. These cats made my job super simple.

Here are a couple of tunes from this session...

Mini-Driva

Farley Runs Again

Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts or any observations you'd like to discuss about this particular setup.

I'm all "ears."
nice! - is this a kms-104 on the snare drum? and the neumann behind/above jeff? and did you get to record during current restrictions or before?
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I like using a KMS105 on the snare drum. Been using it on snare since they first became available. I love it on snare. Also like it on saxophones, especially when the mic is on a gooseneck and moved a lot for solos and such.

Yes, that is indeed a Neumann M149 behind and over Jeff's shoulder.

This was quite a few years before our current shelter-in-place extravaganza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
nice! - is this a kms-104 on the snare drum? and the neumann behind/above jeff? and did you get to record during current restrictions or before?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like using a KMS105 on the snare drum. Been using it on snare since they first became available. I love it on snare. Also like it on saxophones, especially when the mic is on a gooseneck and moved a lot for solos and such.

Yes, that is indeed a Neumann M149 behind and over Jeff's shoulder.

This was quite a few years before our current shelter-in-place extravaganza!
jeff is such a great drummer! mixed him live on a couple of shows when he was with mccoy tyner - looong time ago...
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

He's so disciplined. I wanted to place my "Knee Mic" in the normal position, but he had a cowbell there, so I was reluctant to place it there. I happened to mention it to him, and he said, put it where you ant to put it, and I'll hit the cowbell lighter. I took him for his word, and he didn't disappoint. The cowbell (which was about three inches from the mic) sounded like it was a couple of feet away.

Quote:
jeff is such a great drummer! mixed him live on a couple of shows when he was with mccoy tyner - looong time ago...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
some samples from my small studio

Hello all!

I'm a musician not an engineer, but have been learning a lot from this community (shout out to Steve!) and was able to record some drums.

forgot to take some photos of first few examples, but also took some from student's recording.

so first few examples were taken with

Apollo Preamp : OH - M160 x 2
Knee - Shure ksm141 (cardioid)
Kick - Lauten Audio LA-320

Drum set ; Gretsch that drummer brought, with his beautiful cymbals.

I wasn't sure what sounds I was looking for via Knee position, so result is not so great I think, and made some mistake that few songs needed snare mic but I thought Overheads could take care of snare sound but I was wrong!

Student Example : OH - M160 x 2, Apollo Preamp
Snare - Line Audio CM4
Aml ez1073 were used for Snare and Kick this time.

Covid 19 thing also hit S. Korea hard, so all colleges that I teach shut down.

Usually here, semester starts from March till end of June, but it delayed about a month, and they started online thing.

Thing is you know music is hard to teach via Zoom or facetime or skype, and I teach an ensemble class. I thought it might be best for students to record them self using audio interface.

So I called drummer from class to my studio to record drum first, and here is result. just few bar loops, nothing is mixed (I don't have to, since it's for class materials), I did balance them though. She played white Gretsch drum set(you can see them in photos) that my drummer lend me for a while, which is more like traveler kit. 16" kick, small toms, not so good snare, and Zildjian S series cymbals(don't like them but can't complain

Some examples below, drumming is nothing fancy, but would be great if you guys give some advices.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-img_0042.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-img_0043.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-09-img_1005.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-09-img_1006.jpg  
Attached Files

Drum Sample.mp3 (857.0 KB, 124 views)

Kick-Sample.mp3 (857.0 KB, 124 views)

Knee Sample.mp3 (857.0 KB, 114 views)

Student drum sample.mp3 (343.9 KB, 112 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Based on what I heard and the images you posted, consider bringing the "Knee Mic" much closer to the drummer's right knee. The idea is to have the mic just above the bass drum, so that it is centered between the bass, snare and tom drums. When listening to the "Knee Mic," you want to hear an equal balance of (in this case) those three drums. The over head mics in the first image should be directed straight down over the particular area you want to capture. They seem to be angled a bit.

I'm sure, in time you will master this technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk View Post
Hello all!

I'm a musician not an engineer, but have been learning a lot from this community (shout out to Steve!) and was able to record some drums.

forgot to take some photos of first few examples, but also took some from student's recording.

so first few examples were taken with

Apollo Preamp : OH - M160 x 2
Knee - Shure ksm141 (cardioid)

Drum set ; Gretsch that drummer brought, with his beautiful cymbals.

I wasn't sure what sounds I was looking for via Knee position, so result is not so great I think, and made some mistake that few songs needed snare mic but I thought Overheads could take care of snare sound but I was wrong!

Student Example : OH - M160 x 2, Apollo Preamp
Snare - Line Audio CM4
Aml ez1073 were used for Snare and Kick this time.

Covid 19 thing also hit S. Korea hard, so all colleges that I teach shut down.

Usually here, semester starts from March till end of June, but it delayed about a month, and they started online thing.

Thing is you know music is hard to teach via Zoom or facetime or skype, and I teach an ensemble class. I thought it might be best for students to record them self using audio interface.

So I called drummer from class to my studio to record drum first, and here is result. just few bar loops, nothing is mixed (I don't have to, since it's for class materials), I did balance them though. She played white Gretsch drum set(you can see them in photos) that my drummer lend me for a while, which is more like traveler kit. 16" kick, small toms, not so good snare, and Zildjian S series cymbals(don't like them but can't complain

Some examples below, drumming is nothing fancy, but would be great if you guys give some advices.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
p.s. forgot to add a pic... - anyone finds out who's kit this is, just from the setup? :-)
I’ll play..
Steve Gadd?

(Although there are a couple of notable players with a similar setup)

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I figured we should have a 'show & tell style' drum kit mic'ing thread where we can share our techniques and ideas with the Remotester community at large.

The idea is to post images that are either 'on location' projects or from live performance concerts, videos and such

I plan to post various images from a wide variety of projects I've been involved in through my career. Each particular production venture will be in a single post, so if you so desire to ask a question or have an observation you could select the post you want to respond to. I welcome you to do the same.

Please feel free to share you projects and concepts.

I trust this will be an enjoyable and helpful experience for many of us!
It's been such a privilege to count on your experience being shared, so kindly, I just have to say a big thank you for your idea and initiative.

Just in time, what an absolutely fantastic work, the YEBBA | Evergreen video. Spectacular. Wow.

As I commented in another thread, I had an 'unusual' situation where the band and I decided to put the drummer inside a Volkswagen Kombi.

Well... that's some pictures of the 'experience':

BD In > D112 > HV-3D
SD Top > e604 > HV-3D
SD Bot > SM57 > ff ISA
Hat > Akg 451b > ff ISA
RT > e604 > HV-3D
FT > e604 > HV-3D
OH L > DPA 4011TL > HV-3D
OH R > DPA 4011TL > HV-3D

(straight to the 96io interface)

If you're guessing about how it sounded, I printed a bit of the drums soloed:
(Naturally there's bleeding of everything else. There're no samples added to the drums sound).
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-01-copy.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-02-copy.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-03-copy.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing your images with us, and thank you much for your kind words. It's been my pleasure to share my experience with you folks.

I love the fact that you placed the drum kit inside a vehicle. As you may already know, I have recorded drums in Elroy, my dual expanding wall mobile studio with excellent results.

Here's a clip of one of the projects...

Aura-Sonic Presents...

A few images of this particular session can be found in an early post within this thread.

Elroy happens to be a great sounding space for drums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRichards View Post
It's been such a privilege to count on your experience being shared, so kindly, I just have to say a big thank you for your idea and initiative.

Just in time, what an absolutely fantastic work, the YEBBA | Evergreen video. Spectacular. Wow.

As I commented in another thread, I had an 'unusual' situation where the band and I decided to put the drummer inside a Volkswagen Kombi.

Well... that's some pictures of the 'experience':

BD In > D112 > HV-3D
SD Top > e604 > HV-3D
SD Bot > SM57 > ff ISA
Hat > Akg 451b > ff ISA
RT > e604 > HV-3D
FT > e604 > HV-3D
OH L > DPA 4011TL > HV-3D
OH R > DPA 4011TL > HV-3D

(straight to the 96io interface)

If you're guessing about how it sounded, I printed a bit of the drums soloed:
(Naturally there's bleeding of everything else. There're no samples added to the drums sound).
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-14-elroy-became-drum-booth-day.-great-sound-space-drums-.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Check out this cozy setup for a live performance video shoot we worked with Drums, Bass, Guitar, Acoustic Piano and Vocals on a small stage.

01 FOOT.....................M88 SMBM
02 SNARE...................KMS105 SMBM
03 KIT........................DC196 Omni SMBM
04 SR OH <.................M160 MDBM
05 SL OH >..................M160 MDBM
06 AGTR DI..................LBB100 NONE
07 AGTR......................KMS140 SMBM
08 BASS DI..................LBB100 NONE
09 BASS NECK.............R121 SMBM
10 BASS BRIDGE..........KM140 SMBM
11 BASS HOLE.............SM98 w/ FOAM NONE
12 VOCAL....................KMS105 MDBM
13 PIANO LO................DC96B MDBM
14 PIANO HI.................DC96B MDBM
15 OPEN
16 CLICK TRACK iPOD...DI
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-drums-bass-guitar-piano-vocal.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-drums-bass-guitar.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-check-out-cozy-setup-video-shoot-we-worked.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-drums....jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-finishing-up-sound-check.jpg  

Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-behind-virtual-control-room-glass....jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-trio-much.jpg   Pictures of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits Captured On Location or During Live Concert Scenarios-13-balcony-shots-your-review.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search