The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UREI 1176LN Question
Old 4 weeks ago
UREI 1176LN Question

I have been entrusted by a retiring friend to market some of the gear from his dismantled post production room.

Looking for a little hand-holding on a UREI 1167LN (Rev.F) units that passes signal but doesn't seem to compress/limit.

Thoughts on whether we should market this "as-is" as these are still repairable by a well-know firm in LA or advised to have it refurbed and net a much higher price at market.

I know that this is a question that only the owner can really answer but I'd be curious what the esteemed members of this blog think.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I have been entrusted by a retiring friend to market some of the gear from his dismantled post production room.

Looking for a little hand-holding on a UREI 1167LN (Rev.F) units that passes signal but doesn't seem to compress/limit.

Thoughts on whether we should market this "as-is" as these are still repairable by a well-know firm in LA or advised to have it refurbed and net a much higher price at market.

I know that this is a question that only the owner can really answer but I'd be curious what the esteemed members of this blog think.

D.
Maybe it's compressing/limiting so transparently your ears aren't even noticing it Unlikely though, as those were not famous for their subtlety.

Definitely don't sell 'as is', at least get it restored to full function status, and then do a careful market survey to see if it's worth throwing more money at it for refurb to any higher level, as that could be the point where newer clones (similar to U47 to FLEA 47 situation) outperform it on a specs basis for similar or even less money than an original fully restored ?
Don't sell it for any less than the equivalent plug-in fetches these days !
Old 4 weeks ago
These boxes, in various states, command very high prices on the vintage market. They are, somewhat, considered "magic" boxes that can not be duplicated by plugins.

I don't know enough to say whether that is true or not, but the consensus of opinion in the vintage market seems to point to this as true.

But it's a bit like getting you bathrooms redone if you are selling your house. Will you get the money back in the sale? Or would it be better to let the new owner refurb the bathroom after they buy the house?

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thoughts on whether we should market this "as-is... or have it refurbed and net a much higher price at market.
My philosophy generally is to get gear fixed yourself and then be able to advertise it under the heading 'Very good' rather than 'For parts or not working"

Yes, it's a hassle and expense, and you don't necessarily get back what you put in to the repair (like selling a house, as you say), but if you really need to shift it and generate some needed cash to invest elsewhere within a reasonable timeframe then a freshly serviced unit will attract a lot more potential buyers who don't want the hassle of having to organise the repair themselves and will therefore pay. This applies double if you yourself have a good relationship with a good tech who will see you right on the unit - not all buyers have that existing framework for a guaranteed repair so again, it's well worth it to some of them not to have to jump through that slightly daunting hoop.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks James. I like your thinking.

And . . .

Will do.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks James. I like your thinking.

And . . .

Will do.

D.
James is right, and in a bargaining or auction type scenario, a non or sub-functioning unit lets the (fewer) buyers beat you down in price, whereas for a fully functioning one they'll be fighting amongst themselves...to bid the price up

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search