The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Four-Mic Stereo Technique
Old 3rd March 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Four-Mic Stereo Technique

I record high school concert bands using an ORTF setup, and have done so successfully for many years.

Recently I came across a photo of a stereo recording setup that iI have not seen before and want to know more about it. I want to know if this is a technique to be considered. There are 4 mics in some sort of stereo mic array on the center stand, and two "outrigger" mics center-left and center-right. I'm most interested in the 4 mics plus the two other mics I believe are being used for stereo recording.

Can anyone describe the techniques used here, and comment on how someone would set up such a system (mic types, equipment, etc.)

See attachment photo of setup.

Someone was kindly able to find that type of stand on Amazon

From the product description:
Quote:
For a really wide stereo panorama, use this bar to set 4 mics on one stand with two approximately 45 degrees right and left of center and the other two approximately 55 degrees right and left.
Attached Thumbnails
Four-Mic Stereo Technique-stereo-recording.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoops View Post
I record high school concert bands using an ORTF setup, and have done so successfully for many years.

Recently I came across a photo of a stereo recording setup that iI have not seen before and want to know more about it. I want to know if this is a technique to be considered. There are 4 mics in some sort of stereo mic array on the center stand, and two "outrigger" mics center-left and center-right. I'm most interested in the 4 mics plus the two other mics I believe are being used for stereo recording.

Can anyone describe the techniques used here, and comment on how someone would set up such a system (mic types, equipment, etc.)

See attachment photo of setup.

Someone was kindly able to find that type of stand on Amazon

From the product description:
Quote:
For a really wide stereo panorama, use this bar to set 4 mics on one stand with two approximately 45 degrees right and left of center and the other two approximately 55 degrees right and left.
Look for threads on the Faulkner four mic array and variations on this, there are quite a few threads with lots of information in them.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
DaveyJones's Avatar
 

Looks similar to a type I often use which is:

An ORTF pair with a spaced Omni pair outside them - you can alter the width of the Omni pair to vary width of the pickup and you can angle the ORTF pair up/down to change the front-to-back ratio of the ensemble pickup.
It's a very flexible system and one that I think sounds great!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

It looks like a "phased array" - ORTF pair with omni outriggers.

THIS is the rig I use.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Four-Mic Stereo Technique-phased-array-m930m221-1500.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Hi Moops!

I served as the Recording Engineer for "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band from 2016-2019, during which time the team and I implemented this array. It's a combination of NOS and AB, and the NOS can be any polar pattern as well. In the particular picture you post, you are looking at a pair of Sennheiser Twins (NOS), Sanken CO-100K (AB), and omni flanks (MKH20 or 8020s). If you have questions about this particular concert, you can reach out to the Recording Lab. Here's a track from the concert.


Here is the stand: https://amzn.to/2Wie8cN (Or a three pack: https://amzn.to/3a1Avag) And the extension: https://amzn.to/2xGHHKF UCLA just picked up some to keep on hand all the time.

Here's one of my favorites from the Band with this array:


This is not a Faulkner array (which has four mics, but doesn't have any cardioids) nor a Faulkner phased array (which has only two figure-8s), and shouldn't be called one. (Or did I get those backwards?)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoops View Post
stand on Amazon

From the product description:
Quote:
For a really wide stereo panorama, use this bar to set 4 mics on one stand with two approximately 45 degrees right and left of center and the other two approximately 55 degrees right and left.
I use those mounts, but the Band has different ones. ...Wood bars built by the previous engineer and wider than the ST4.

Angling your mics can help, but your ears need time-of-arrival differences for best localization. That's why NOS presents more 3-dimensional than ORTF, regardless of what pattern or angle you use.

Also, depending on what omnis you have, the angle may not matter at all. (Or it may matter a lot.)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Hi Moops!

I served as the Recording Engineer for "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band from 2016-2019, during which time the team and I implemented this array. It's a combination of NOS and AB, and the NOS can be any polar pattern as well. In the particular picture you post, you are looking at a pair of Sennheiser Twins (NOS), Sanken CO-100K (AB), and omni flanks (MKH20 or 8020s). If you have questions about this particular concert, you can reach out to the Recording Lab. Here's a track from the concert.


Here is the stand: https://amzn.to/2Wie8cN (Or a three pack: https://amzn.to/3a1Avag) And the extension: https://amzn.to/2xGHHKF UCLA just picked up some to keep on hand all the time.

Here's one of my favorites from the Band with this array:


This is not a Faulkner array (which has four mics, but doesn't have any cardioids) nor a Faulkner phased array (which has only two figure-8s), and shouldn't be called one. (Or did I get those backwards?)
...and did you mix/blend all systems or did you use the alternatively?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...and did you mix/blend all systems or did you use the alternatively?
The mics are intended to be blended, creating an array with fluid/flexible pattern. The march will need a different pattern than a "larger" symphonic work. The array can change piece by piece, or even phrase by phrase. The image remains stable.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
The mics are intended to be blended, creating an array with fluid/flexible pattern. The march will need a different pattern than a "larger" symphonic work. The array can change piece by piece, or even phrase by phrase. The image remains stable.
thx - did you ever get a chance to compare your array with a soundfield mic? (and do you happen to have a name for the array)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
Boojum/jnorman array is ORTF center pair with omni flanks on the same bar.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Addict
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
The mics are intended to be blended, creating an array with fluid/flexible pattern. The march will need a different pattern than a "larger" symphonic work. The array can change piece by piece, or even phrase by phrase. The image remains stable.
Hi Christian, without wanting to derail this thread, I'd be curious to hear you quickly add any thoughts on how frequently and in what ways a part of this process involves changing the pattern when you are using the Senn. Twins in NOS.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump