The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What controller/mixer in Merging Horus/Magix Samplitude environment?
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

What controller/mixer in Merging Horus/Magix Samplitude environment?

Hi fellow colleagues,

As some of you might know I use a Merging Horus (Ravenna/AES67) and Magix Samplitude for my remote recording projects and that is all done without the use of a controller (faders) i.e. the mix is always done with the "mouse" (which is fine during recording).
However I would like to have the convenience of having faders to control the volumes, effect send and EQ etc.
And the available options on the market is a bit over whelming as there is a choice of digital mixers mixers with or without stage boxes and offering DAW control OR there are controllers that only offer DAW control without a sound card and there are hybrid options etc.

a few examples that are attracting my attentions:

Tascam US-2400
SSL Nucleus
ICON Qcon Pro X
SSL Matrix
Digico S21
Yamaha Cl/QL
CADAC
Lawo

As you might notice the options above is only a small selection of what's available and goes from a couple of hundreds to thousands of Euros etc
I need something affordable, simple, user friendly, reliable, compact and convenient.
I used to own a Tascam DM24 with a firwire option and found a horrible and confusing way to work with in conjunction with a DAW....

What are your experiences and what to avoid or what do you recommend ?
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Magix Samplitude and Magix Sequoia are made to be used with the Avid Artist Mix fader panels. Functionality is excellent with Artist Mix. Recently, Magix has updated the programs to be tied even more closely with the Avid controllers.

I use 2 Avid Artist Mix here with outstanding results.
Old 1st March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Magix Samplitude and Magix Sequoia are made to be used with the Avid Artist Mix fader panels. Functionality is excellent with Artist Mix. Recently, Magix has updated the programs to be tied even more closely with the Avid controllers.

I use 2 Avid Artist Mix here with outstanding results.
I use an artist mix with Sequoia as well. Flawless in its implementation. This recommendation comes with the caveat that I only do panning and balance with the artist mix. But that’s just my own laziness in not exploring its deeper feature-set.
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

I have an Avid Artist Control however it died, LCD screen does not work anymore and the repair costs are not worth it. It worked great in Pro Tools however was not so impressed with the build quality and my impression was correct as it no longer functions
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

i can control some functions within nuendo from my studer vista desks or used to do so with a dm2000 years ago - however, both of them are not exactly compact (and i did not dig into any options other than fader control as i do not mix itb but on the desks)...

i also had a motormix ages ago but i really don't recall much about its options and whether it's still in production at all - same for a mackie controller.

fader control should be possible from newer yamaha desks to but the smaller desks such as the ql/cl are limited to 48khz so things might become tricky (and a bit expensive imo if using the desks just as 'contoller') if recording on double or quad speed - so fixing the avid controller might still be a viable option...

[i'm not going to recommend cheapo chinese made desks although i'm pretty sure there are plenty of them]
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Head

I also use the artist mix, I can believe that it might die on me one day though. I’ve been eying the Avid S3 as an upgrade, along with the Dock. Been through two generations of the ssl Nucleus where I teach and they seem to be one headache after another, and never really stable—also, when they are done with a product, they are Done! No more software upgrades
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that SSL Nucleus is not that stable they feel physically as being very well build
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

I had a lot of problems with Artist Mix (I had two of them running simultaneously) and they crashed at some very inopportune times. Now granted, I was still trying to use Pro Tools as a location recorder which was its own set of nightmares so there might be a connection there as well.

But I sold the Artist Mix units ASAP and vowed to NEVER, EVER, EVER use Pro tools on location.

I now record on JoeCo BBR64-Dantes and use a dedicated panel, an A&H SQ6, as a monitor/mix-down desk.

Absolutely reliable so far.

And as is often said by Mark, YMMV.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I also use Sequoia with Hapi’s and I have an Artist Mix and Artist Control. I have had a great experience as well. I have connected our S3L to it for a time as well, and would love to get our S6 connected to my rig, but I would have to update from 13. This happens all with my HP laptop and cardbuss dual Ethernet card going to the controllers and the onboard Ethernet going to my switch which feeds my Hapi’s. I don’t often bring the controlllers out on location, but sometimes I do and write automation, it’s just so much extra setup/strike time when I am by myself.
Cameron
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search