The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What mics should i use for recording chamber ensemble?
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.C. View Post
This is an example of what can be done with a near-zero budget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-giZW-ym9M

This recording was made using Behringer C-2 stereo pair set up in a DIN configuration (20 cm between capsules, 90 degrees between microphone axes) connected to Zoom H4n Pro in four-channel mode (built-in pair active, but unused).

Microphone position can be seen on the footage from a right side camera.

The source file format is 48 kHz 24-bit WAV.

Notice that video was deliberately rendered in HD720p with low bitrate due to technical limitations of the channel. But the audio was set to 256k AAC (although YouTube of course re-encodes it).
Is it just the main pair used? Great sound. I suggest you try DSD.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks.

Yes, only main pair and nothing more. I had absolutely no time to properly adjust its position, so there is more reverberation than I would have liked. Anyway, I doubt that any adjustment would have made a major difference, because this venue is VERY reverberant.

The only way to make Zoom H4n Pro record the signal from external inputs is to configure it in four-channel mode, so the built-in microphones were also enabled, but I left this track unused.

As for DSD, maybe sometime... I am not a professional recording engineer (but an electronics design engineer), I record my friends (who are professional musicians) as a hobby.
Old 3 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.C. View Post
Thanks.

Yes, only main pair and nothing more. I had absolutely no time to properly adjust its position, so there is more reverberation than I would have liked. Anyway, I doubt that any adjustment would have made a major difference, because this venue is VERY reverberant.

The only way to make Zoom H4n Pro record the signal from external inputs is to configure it in four-channel mode, so the built-in microphones were also enabled, but I left this track unused.

As for DSD, maybe sometime... I am not a professional recording engineer (but an electronics design engineer), I record my friends (who are professional musicians) as a hobby.
Are you located in St. Petersburg? Might loan you my Korg MR-2, but I am in Yaroslavl.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Wow, thanks for the offer! But, considering that I do recordings quite rarely (well, it's my hobby, after all...), I'm afraid that, had I decided to give it a try, this device would uselessly spend the next half of this year in a locker, so I think this does not worth our effort.

Maybe Jszt1 would be interested? Although MR-2 lacks XLR inputs with phantom power, it has the line input, so it is possible to use an external mixer to provide power to microphones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but it's quite far away from me (I'm from Poland).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
like the old adage that a professional photographer can take a superb photograph with a Box Brownie...
Not sure today's kids know what a 'Box Brownie' is John, but it made me chuckle nonetheless! (And yes, I used to have one - not that I ever took any good shots with it aged 7 or 8! )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search