The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pipeorgan - dropped the mics ...
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear
Pipeorgan - dropped the mics ...

Recently in Paris used the 'Floorcatcher 2.0 array' to record a massive pipe organ.
Seems to work nice to capture a performance while not having to carry heavy iron.

2omnis peeking out under a small canvas backpack, 30cmAB, 90degrees angle.
Sort of boundary layer combined with 'Tête Charlin' [well, it was in Paris, right] ;-)
Attached Files

gs-frgm.mp3 (2.56 MB, 725 views)

Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

That sounds very credible. I do miss a bit of 'sparkle' in the upper registers, but it may be that organ or is it the choice of mics (as well as position)? Is there any EQ applied to this clip?

Thanks for sharing. This technique has lots to recommend it for recordings of live performances where very tall stands are not welcome...
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear
A nice hefty sound...certainly a robust reply to those who are insistent that organ mics always have be 8+ metres in the air to capture anything of validity !

I wonder if a little more spacing on the floor might have captured a more spatially expansive image, say at 60-80 cms AB ?

I don't know how the maths applies (a la Sengpiel, Williams etc) when the mics are adjacent to a large boundary vs in free space, when it comes to SRA, orchestral angle etc...any ideas ?
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
2omnis peeking out under a small canvas backpack, 30cmAB, 90degrees angle. Sort of boundary layer combined with 'Tête Charlin' [well, it was in Paris, right] ;-)
Interesting take - you covered the spectrum quite well. I agree with @ jimjazzdad - the top end is muted a bit. Whose choice was it to record the pipe organ like this?
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear
I'm not sure the high-end is muted; it's quite a french organ sound where the reeds dominate and not all highpitch thingies are used. There's some highshelve applied, perhaps now it's a bit brighter then 'real'; I think the partyhorn at 0:48 sticks out maybe just a bit more than it actually did.
The spacing was dictated by my bag [see picture] to keep it discrete [even though I had permission for it], a blumlein shuffler helps widening the sound in post.
The choice for this setup was a combination of being able to have lunch in Paris, listening to a friend playing and still getting a decent sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Pipeorgan - dropped the mics ...-img_3962-2-.jpg   Pipeorgan - dropped the mics ...-stcl.jpg  

Last edited by heva; 19th February 2020 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: pictures
Old 18th February 2020
Sneaky, creative, and effective!
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Ahh, Ste-Clotilde
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Ahh, Ste-Clotilde
Yes, and for all the debate on what’s done with it since CesarFranck: it sounds great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search