The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Angela Hewitt's F278 Fazioli piano destroyed
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Angela Hewitt's F278 Fazioli piano destroyed

For those of you who record and/or play piano: Tragedy has struck Angela Hewitt as her trusted moving company destroyed her one-of-a-kind custom four pedal F278 Fazioli. Heartbreaking. My condolences to Ms. Hewitt on her loss. That has to be soul crushing for her.

I've only heard that piano on her recordings. It's an amazing sound. I'm grateful for the experience.

The irony of course is that a similar tragedy came to Glenn Gould when movers destroyed his Steinway, CD-318. Both Gould and Hewitt are baroque masters, and both are Canadians. Gould's search for and match with CD-318 was interesting enough that Katie Hafner wrote a book about it called A Romance on Three Legs. It's as much a biography of the piano as it is of Glenn Gould. Highly recommended read, and very entertaining.

I hope Ms. Hewitt can find a new piano soon. She's got a lot more music in her, at least some of which I hope she continues to record.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I am sorry to hear this.

However, piano is a mechanical apparatus, as such it always goes from fantastic to not so as time and usage pile up upon it, albeit slowly. One needs to either re-build the whole mechanism or simply replaced the entire piano after certain amount of usage. This incident could be a blessing in disguise; she may end up with a much better, brand new instrument. Piano is very different from string instruments in this regard. I am sure Fazioli will be more than happy to provide her with a new and better instrument. It is still heart breaking as the accident happens.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Even if the movers have insurance coverage, it remains to be seen how much the insurance company will pay for her piano and what it may cost her to obtain a new one. Then there's potentially loss of use in the meantime and who pays for that, and how much?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Ms. Hewitt being an ambassador of Fazioli she is incredibly important to Fazioli. I am sure Fazioli will take good care of her which is the same as taking care of themselves. It is the price of doing business for Fazioli.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search