The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Session orchestra: working on the master.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Session orchestra: working on the master.

Hi guys! Just got the first master of my recording with a session orchestra. I would love to hear from you how can I tell the engineer to improve the sound quality (that I believe it should be better). It was recorded in a studio with many mics (I infact have the protools session but cant open it since I dont have protools) Thank you very much for your help.

Laetitia was written for the full orchestra. She is still here is just for strings.

Cant wait to hear from you
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Hi,

That is a well-engineered recording, with good taste and ear for orchestral balance and musical functions. Fine orchestra, too. Would be curious who it is.

What do you not like about it?

For me, I hear the early reflections of the studio which does not suit the music that well. It might be as simple as adding a good reverb and you are done.

Best,
Dirk
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I don´t know why...It sounds distant to me. I also told them to raise certains instruments in certain moments. The orchestra is Musiversal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Your string piece, "She Is Still Here," sounds very good to me with a well balanced sound. I would wish for a bigger room to record in, however.

I hear a good blend in "She Is Still Here."

"Laetitia"--the balance on this piece is poor with too much emphasis on brass and percussion. It also has a "small room sound." Violins are not prominent enough in the mix and winds also sound weak. There are too many microphones.

I would like to hear the main microphones very prominently with some accent mics for strings, winds, and inner detail well balanced. Turn off many of the other mics which give a fake detail sound. They sound too close.

It is a matter of a complete re-mix for "Laetitia."

Thank you for posting.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

While I've no idea if it was the same service company, I've mixed / edited on several projects that have used Prague session orchestras for Strings or Full Orchestra recordings. My impression is that none of the providers intend the Stereo Mix they provide to be the final product - rather it's the 'scratch' monitoring mix they use in the control room and for Streaming to the remote composer during the session. The product they are supplying is the Pro Tools multi-track session and they assume it is going to be re-mixed by a Scoring or Orchestral mixer with the Composer in attendance or with clear instructions from them and an understanding of the specific project. While their Producers, Engineers and Conductor are aware of whatever you have told them about the project, they are tracking multiple pieces across a range of Genres in each session, with a fixed mic layout and probably an established monitoring mix they recall for each of their sessions (based on an 'average' balance across the genres they usually are faced with). With that in mind, the results seem quite acceptable and you should be able to reach a pleasing conclusion when doing a proper final mix with an appropriate Engineer.

Also, don't think you are stuck with the Pro Tools files being un-useable to you if you don't have Pro Tools. If you (or who ever you get to do the final mix) use another DAW, you can just go into the Audio files folder within the overall session folder to find the .WAV files for each individual track, and load them up onto tracks in your own DAW - all lined up at the start. Hopefully they have used a sensible file naming scheme so you know which tracks are part of which takes, and what's on them! It's most likely that no mixing or processing exists in this Pro Tools session - it's just a straight-through Multi-track recorder.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The OP mentions that he has received the "first" master. I agree that this is a confusing term. The master is the final version. What the OP is hearing is likely the first "Listening Copy."
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

This was supposed to be the final version. They were mixing and mastering the recording as part of the contract. If I didnt say anything that would be the final product (and the protools session, of course). Thats why I wrote them back so they can do a revision of this.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacarcel View Post
This was supposed to be the final version. They were mixing and mastering the recording as part of the contract. If I didnt say anything that would be the final product (and the protools session, of course). Thats why I wrote them back so they can do a revision of this.
What is the music meant for? Should it be used in a film setting or are the pieces standalone?

Again, for a cost-effective solution such as Musiverse, I am extremely impressed... I have worked with a lot of orchestras on sessions such as these and they rarely produce such quality.

Edit: Especially given you received the ProTools projects, you are free to remix and work on it as much as you want.

Best,
Dirk
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Even on computer speakers, the perspective on the Laetitia track is off. Horns are really close (like in the bell close)! I would go for a homogeneous orchestra sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search