The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sanken CU-31/32 for nature recordinf
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sanken CU-31/32 for nature recordinf

Hi!

I am looking to get some mics for nature recording. I have loved every mic from Sanken that I have used, and am curious about using a pair of CU-31 or CU-32 for recording with a MixPre 6II.

The Sanken mics that I have used could be described as “the most omni cardioid mics in existence.” Even at 90° off axis they have a smooth frequency response. I am wanting to record nature sounds but also make some impulse responses to create convolution reverb profiles, and having a touch of directivity would help vs a pure Omni.

Sanken are also marketed as having a moisture and temperature resistant capsule, which is appealing for this work.

I know I could get a pair of Sennheiser MKH 80XX series or Rakuten mics and be happy for nature recording, but my love for the Sanken mics I have used have never curious. Sanken just has this character that appeals to me more than MKH or DPA or Rakuten, it’s both crystalline but uncolored in a way that most mics fail to do.

Is the noise for Sanken CU-31/32 acceptable for nature sounds? Further, is their character good for my needs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Wonder that, too. It's specifications show a sensitivity of only 3.5mV/Pa.
I thought that such a low sensitivity implies that a pre amp needs lots of gain (=noise) to amplify softer sounds. For soft sounding ambiances you'd better choose a mic with a higher sensitivity?

COS-11 does 28 mV/Pa
MKH 8040 = 20mV/Pa
CSS-5 = 40 mV/Pa

Maybe someone else can chime in?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not a mic I'd recommend for anything quiet. Decent sounding, but the output level is quite low and if you aren't careful, you can end up with noise issues with them.

Mic is generally bright and doesn't have a lot of low end. Otherwise, pretty clean and transient in character.

--Ben
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search