The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weighing Merging & Dante options on location
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I’m coming to this thread a bit late, but just wanted to chime in to say why we are using Merging.
Jim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer this thorough and well-written perspective. I really appreciate it.

Lots to think about here... still weighing the options.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks, Elpillo! I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
A little off topic. Sorry...

Congrats on your work! I became a big fan of Trio Palabras thanks to you and the beautiful recording. Originally found them searching for recordings using a C700S. Glorious.

I agree on your comments on the Hapi. It provides a pristine sound. Haven't used it enough yet, but I'm loving it so far.
Merging's customer support is really good as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have gone the Merging route. One HAPI with 2 ADK8D cards (micpres/direct outs) and an Anubis Premium. When necessary I put 4 channels of Pueblo into the Anubis. I needed the possibility of direct outs on every channel since some of my work requires feeding a small analog mixer for FOH or monitors.

That gives me up to 20 input channels, 3 headphones, and 4 balanced outputs. This IO covers my needs, and I am very pleased with the mic preamps and the conversion.

I thought about the DANTE setup, with Grace Preamps, but I didn't want to use a digital mixer and I needed analog direct outputs.

Considering the fear of DB25 connectors, I simply soldered up a 1U 16 channel XLR patch panel so that I always just leave the DB25 connected and make patches with the mic cable into the panel. I wouldn't be comfortable with re-plugging the DB25 connection every time I needed to setup at a concert hall or venue.

Then with MassCore (as Mark mentioned) the whole system is very elegant and stable.

Ravenna has been very stable for me once I figured out the best order of turning the equipment on and followed the optimization guide laid out by Merging.

RE: the slim pickin' of Ravenna enabled gear, I am not too worried about the need for connection to other gear since I almost always work self contained and without the need to patch into OPP!

-Branic
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
<Snip>

Then with MassCore (as Mark mentioned) the whole system is very elegant and stable.

Ravenna has been very stable for me once I figured out the best order of turning the equipment on and followed the optimization guide laid out by Merging.

RE: the slim pickin' of Ravenna enabled gear, I am not too worried about the need for connection to other gear since I almost always work self contained and without the need to patch into OPP!
WRT the available hardware in the Ravenna ecosystem.... I would wait a couple of weeks before making a decision. There are new pieces of hardware and a major change coming to the Merging software. Can't divulge more than that, but there are big happenings in Puidoux.

Cryptic as always...
All the best,
-mark
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Can't divulge more than that, but there are big happenings in Puidoux.
Thank you very much for this insight, Mark. I had actually wondered about this when starting the thread, since Monsieur Cellier has hinted in various lectures/interviews about some new things (besides Anubis) which Merging has been working on over the past couple years.

Thanks also, Branic (brhoward) for sharing your thoughts on this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search