The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weighing Merging & Dante options on location
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I’m coming to this thread a bit late, but just wanted to chime in to say why we are using Merging.
Jim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer this thorough and well-written perspective. I really appreciate it.

Lots to think about here... still weighing the options.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear
Thanks, Elpillo! I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
A little off topic. Sorry...

Congrats on your work! I became a big fan of Trio Palabras thanks to you and the beautiful recording. Originally found them searching for recordings using a C700S. Glorious.

I agree on your comments on the Hapi. It provides a pristine sound. Haven't used it enough yet, but I'm loving it so far.
Merging's customer support is really good as well.
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I have gone the Merging route. One HAPI with 2 ADK8D cards (micpres/direct outs) and an Anubis Premium. When necessary I put 4 channels of Pueblo into the Anubis. I needed the possibility of direct outs on every channel since some of my work requires feeding a small analog mixer for FOH or monitors.

That gives me up to 20 input channels, 3 headphones, and 4 balanced outputs. This IO covers my needs, and I am very pleased with the mic preamps and the conversion.

I thought about the DANTE setup, with Grace Preamps, but I didn't want to use a digital mixer and I needed analog direct outputs.

Considering the fear of DB25 connectors, I simply soldered up a 1U 16 channel XLR patch panel so that I always just leave the DB25 connected and make patches with the mic cable into the panel. I wouldn't be comfortable with re-plugging the DB25 connection every time I needed to setup at a concert hall or venue.

Then with MassCore (as Mark mentioned) the whole system is very elegant and stable.

Ravenna has been very stable for me once I figured out the best order of turning the equipment on and followed the optimization guide laid out by Merging.

RE: the slim pickin' of Ravenna enabled gear, I am not too worried about the need for connection to other gear since I almost always work self contained and without the need to patch into OPP!

-Branic
Old 11th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
<Snip>

Then with MassCore (as Mark mentioned) the whole system is very elegant and stable.

Ravenna has been very stable for me once I figured out the best order of turning the equipment on and followed the optimization guide laid out by Merging.

RE: the slim pickin' of Ravenna enabled gear, I am not too worried about the need for connection to other gear since I almost always work self contained and without the need to patch into OPP!
WRT the available hardware in the Ravenna ecosystem.... I would wait a couple of weeks before making a decision. There are new pieces of hardware and a major change coming to the Merging software. Can't divulge more than that, but there are big happenings in Puidoux.

Cryptic as always...
All the best,
-mark
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Can't divulge more than that, but there are big happenings in Puidoux.
Thank you very much for this insight, Mark. I had actually wondered about this when starting the thread, since Monsieur Cellier has hinted in various lectures/interviews about some new things (besides Anubis) which Merging has been working on over the past couple years.

Thanks also, Branic (brhoward) for sharing your thoughts on this!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
WRT the available hardware in the Ravenna ecosystem.... I would wait a couple of weeks before making a decision. There are new pieces of hardware and a major change coming to the Merging software. Can't divulge more than that, but there are big happenings in Puidoux.
I'm curious, any news on this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Certainly multi-threaded Native will be most welcome, if that's what it is.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Certainly multi-threaded Native will be most welcome, if that's what it is.
Multi-thread is half of it... There is also new hardware on the horizon. (With the current issues the world is facing WRT supply chain, I suspect the products may be delayed. )
All the best,
-mark
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

While we wait excitedly for (probably delayed) news from Switzerland, I wanted to add a related question to this topic:

What about the question of stand-alone hardware recorders?

Some recent computer headaches have been pushing to the forefront of my mind the appeal of investing in a dedicated recorder, like the JoeCo BBR64 or Tascam DA-6400. For the past several years I've been using a second laptop for backup, running a different version of Windows 10 for added safety, but it would be that much more reliable and straightforward to have a dedicated box for this purpose, regardless of what happens on the software front.

I just spent some time looking at the Ravenna website, but I cannot find any product currently available which performs this function.

Obviously AES67 could theoretically provide a sort of workaround here, but it seems less-than-optimal for a variety of reasons (e.g. higher sample rates or DSD/DXD not compatible).

What are Merging users here doing for backup (if anything) other than simply running a second computer? I have seen several well-respected engineers using something like a Sound Devices recorder to take the analog direct outs from their Hapi/Horus. I do this too already with a MixPre10 to take analog outs for a second backup of my most critical 8 channels, but this is of course less practical as channel counts increase, or if you want to interface with additional channels from installed equipment in-house, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I urge you to move to the best system which is Merging. I am talking about the best sound quality / fidelity. All else, at least to me, is secondary.

Dante is a more commercial approach while Merging hardware offers a boutique approach.

Merging offers Nagra preamps courtesy the genius of Claude Cellier.
Connecting different boxes is an inelegant way to work.
Merging units offer a systems approach that is well proven.

And you don't have to use Pyramix to use Horus / Hapi. You stick with your regular daw.

DSD is for specialized pursuits. I do like SACD as a premium release format but outside of BIS and Pentatone and some smaller labels, not much is appearing.

Fail safe single box solution is where it is at.

Merging offers much better sound than competing Dante set ups.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

when i'm forced to use dante or any other aoip, i convert to madi, split madi and record onto pc and/or hd recorders, using rme madiface xt or ssl mx4 interfaces and/or sound devices or joeco recorders.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Multi-thread is half of it...
Now on the Beta program. Got it in my hot little hands.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Hi David,

I was thinking of signing up for the beta as well... I'd love to hear your thoughts so far when you have a moment!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search