The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lav plug-in powering options?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Lav plug-in powering options?

I'm helping put together an on-camera podcast for someone and lavs are desired..

I have a Sound Devices MixPre-6 which has one plug-in power 3.5mm plug-in powered input, and 4 XLR ins.. I recently bought a couple Rode VXLR converters that convert 45v Phantom to 5vplug-in power for Lavs, but they really suck. The noise floor is pretty bad on one of the two I bought, the second one is entirely unusable and I'm sending it back... LOUD noise floor.

Does anyone know of a cleaner was to power 3.5mm terminated lavs? Is there an external battery option anywhere?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Rode VXLR isn't the right tool for the job. It's just an xlr to 3.5mm adapter: what you need is a Rode VXLR+, which adapts 12-48v phantom power to 5v PIP. I have both, and both work perfectly for their different intended purposes.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thats what I have, the vxlr+, I left the + off.. You dont find it to be noisy? I have a replacement coming for one that was unusable, but the other is nothing to write home about either..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

OK, so you meant VXLR+!

No, my one is not noisy - far from it. And to check, I have just tested on a Mixpre-3 by running an unusually quiet (14dBA) lav into the PIP aux input and then via the VXLR+ into the Kashmir preamps: with levels matched by a 1kHz test tone, the self noise is lower via the VXLR+, which is a) what you would expect (given the different preamps) and b) shows that the VXLR+ is not noisy.

What is the difference in self-noise when you do the same?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use the Ambient EMP to hardwire lavs. Works great and sounds great. Here’s the 3.5mm version: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...erter_for.html
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I regularly use two VXLR+ to power DPA 4188s, Countryman E6s and B3s, Sennheiser MK2s with no noise issues.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 for the Ambients.

D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search