The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A little Bach and Coffee
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

A little Bach and Coffee

Something on the lighter side. Final chorus of Bach's "Coffee Cantata" transcribed to piano accompaniment.

MKH 30/40 in mid-side into Tascam HS-P82 tamed a very boomy venue. I put a spaced pair of CM3's toward the tail of the piano. But here, just the 30/40 with no processing.

Vocal trio was centered, and space constraints put the piano just behind them and shifted to the right, as is evident in the recording.
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Steve - just now realized you are here in Salem. What venue is this, and who’s performing? In this case, I think the MS pair may have picked a bit too much ambient noise, clinking etc, and you might have been better served with a directional pair - ORTF or NOS cards maybe. Otherwise, the balance is good and the vocals are nicely captured. Doesn’t sound like you really need the piano spots. Thanks for posting this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Hi Steve - just now realized you are here in Salem. What venue is this, and who’s performing? In this case, I think the MS pair may have picked a bit too much ambient noise, clinking etc, and you might have been better served with a directional pair - ORTF or NOS cards maybe. Otherwise, the balance is good and the vocals are nicely captured. Doesn’t sound like you really need the piano spots. Thanks for posting this.
Thanks for the comments, Jim. The vocalists are local members of a family with a local accompanist. While they gave themselves a name, I think it was mostly tongue-in-cheek, though as you can hear they're quite serious about singing. The venue was the UUC church on the east edge of town.

I've recorded there twice, the first time using pairs of cards and omnis, respectively, loosely reminiscent of your Boojum/Norman array. While the result was better than satisfactory, either of those pairs captured more of the undesirable sonic signature of the church than the recording I posted above. Plus, I just got my MKH30 and MKH40, so I had to use them, right, right?

The ambient noises, such as clinking, are the performers walking about whilst handling a coffee pot and mugs directly in front of the mics. (Also, traffic intrusions from an adjacent intersection were unavoidable!) If you watch any performance of the Coffee Cantata on YT, you'll see what I mean. Much mirth and merriment, though that's impossible to tell from an audio recording alone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ha! Interesting, and yes, I do know the pianist you used - she is awesome. And yes, you must use the new mics!

I have also done some recordings at the UUC church - here is a link to one that includes the same pianist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jr9Grv6i0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search