The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Grammy's sound, 2020
Old 2 weeks ago
Grammy's sound, 2020

I watched the entire show with my wife. It was sort of strange in several ways.

The audio portion had cuts in the entire soundtrack about 20 times here. No, it wasn't for F bombs. It just cut out right in the middle of songs. Did anyone else get chopped audio?

The sound overall was pretty good. Heavy compression sort of squashed louder segments while the acoustic/softer stuff sounded mostly untouched.

Visually it was a weird sight. Pole dancers from Hollywood Blvd strip clubs and Grande's bedroom "booty-call" act needed a parental warning notice.

Some of it made me laugh. That bunch of black guys in white wigs made me think of the morlocks in the "Time Machine". My wife didn't get it until she looked up morlocks on her phone. The pics made her laugh.

Lovato stole the show, what a voice. H.E.R. was my fave by far. Bluesy/ R&B ballad at the piano was soulfull. Then she goes up the the mic stand and I said, "get that girl a guitar"!

Fantastic guitar solo and tone. That girl sings like an Angel an plays guitar like the devil. What a talent. She should have won.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

The audio portion had cuts in the entire soundtrack about 20 times here. No, it wasn't for F bombs. It just cut out right in the middle of songs. Did anyone else get chopped audio?
I only watched the first 15 minutes or so. I just assumed the audio dropouts were bleeps. Maybe not.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. I commented to my wife early on that the Sennheiser people must be livid. It was their mics on camera for everyone to see. But what they were loosing wasn't just one mic -- it was the entire broadcast mix. Probably not Sennheiser's fault. But whoever was responsible lost it over and over and over again.

I'm wondering if the Grammy program managers aren't having some interesting meetings with their contractors (and the network) today.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Yep. I commented to my wife early on that the Sennheiser people must be livid. It was their mics on camera for everyone to see. But what they were loosing wasn't just one mic -- it was the entire broadcast mix.
That's why I figured it was bleeps. Just muting the pottymouth's mic won't work at Staples with a giant PA.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
(...) I'm wondering if the Grammy program managers aren't having some interesting meetings with their contractors (and the network) today.
there was a kinda equally embarrassing issue (if the shows can get compared at all) at the european song contest a few years ago: no re-occurring drop outs but NO audio at all for about a minute or so! turned out that someone was stepping on cables carrying the critical madi streams...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
there was a kinda equally embarrassing issue (if the shows can get compared at all) at the european song contest a few years ago: no re-occurring drop outs but NO audio at all for about a minute or so! turned out that someone was stepping on cables carrying the critical madi streams...
Fibre-optic...copper...Scandinavian handmade carbon-stuffed...garden hose containing some kinda electromagnetic MADI-bearing plasma ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Fibre-optic...copper...Scandinavian handmade carbon-stuffed...garden hose containing some kinda electromagnetic MADI-bearing plasma ?
way more simple: a dumb roadie with a pair of combat boots...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Well....would be interesting to observe the post-event analysis/debrief meeting on that one !! A chain is only as strong as its weakest link....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The sound overall was pretty good. Heavy compression sort of squashed louder segments while the acoustic/softer stuff sounded mostly untouched.

Visually it was a weird sight. Pole dancers from Hollywood Blvd strip clubs and Grande's bedroom "booty-call" act needed a parental warning notice.

Some of it made me laugh. That bunch of black guys in white wigs made me think of the morlocks in the "Time Machine". My wife didn't get it until she looked up morlocks on her phone. The pics made her laugh.

Lovato stole the show, what a voice. H.E.R. was my fave by far. Bluesy/ R&B ballad at the piano was soulfull. Then she goes up the the mic stand and I said, "get that girl a guitar"!

Fantastic guitar solo and tone. That girl sings like an Angel an plays guitar like the devil. What a talent. She should have won.
I watched the whole show. I didn't notice audio drop outs in my region. Except for mutes during swear words.

The pole dancer in the Prince tribute is actually a really amazing artist. She makes some of the most interesting futuristic R&B hip-hop music ever. Google FKA Twigs. Its totally beyond me why she didn't sing.

Tyler the Creator (The hip-hop artist with the blonde wig) , it was the first time I ever heard of him. Me and my wife were quite blown away by how great he was. He's doing hip-hop with a totally quirky alternative twist. I like it a lot. He's taking the genre to a direction not taken before. I am looking forward to what he will do next.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I cancelled my Grammy tv appearance because

#grammycorruption

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Xj...gJKmEoYSu/view
Old 2 weeks ago
I watched it from the house and then a bunch of it back at the hotel afterward. Those dropouts were for content, not the a glitch. There were F-bombs all over the show including in tracks where you wouldn't expect them.
In the house, Camila Cabello, Tanya Tucker, Bonnie Raitt and Demi Lovato stole the show. H.E.R and Tyler the Creator were great as well, but were strangled by the lousy mix and distorted LF in the house. I have no idea why they have to push the volume of the system to the extremes that they do. I had my 20 Db plugs in and it was still loud. The entire mix sounded like it is slamming into a limiter all the time.
All the best,
Mark
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I thought there were waaayyy too many ballads. i kept thinking, are we going back to Barbara Streisand and Carole King decade?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Rock Is Dead. RIP Rock.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I cancelled my Grammy tv appearance because

#grammycorruption

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Xj...gJKmEoYSu/view
That crap had been going on since the 1990's. I left the Recording Academy over the Michael Greene controversy when he skimmed off member's dues for personal million dollar kick backs. That was 20 odd years ago and things have not been fixed there. Now it's fixed voting and nominations plus gender issues. It turns out they are only "woke" on the exterior.

I did love that H+K sticker Joe Perry rocked. He like Eric Clapton and Ted Nugent are big 2nd amendment guys, like me. That took some balls in that crowd.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I did love that H+K sticker Joe Perry rocked. He like Eric Clapton and Ted Nugent are big 2nd amendment guys, like me. That took some balls in that crowd.
An opinion like that is a chip on a shoulder that's begging for someone to knock it off. Inappropriate here. So knock it off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
An opinion like that is a chip on a shoulder that's begging for someone to knock it off. Inappropriate here. So knock it off.
No comment. Never knew Clapton was into guns.
Old 2 weeks ago
"Can't we all just get along" ~ Rodney King
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
No comment. Never knew Clapton was into guns.
He may not be. Nugent, for example, is more of an arrow/blade guy. Clapton might have his English country manor surrounded by a moat with mines in it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That crap had been going on since the 1990's. I left the Recording Academy over the Michael Greene controversy when he skimmed off member's dues for personal million dollar kick backs. That was 20 odd years ago and things have not been fixed there. Now it's fixed voting and nominations plus gender issues. It turns out they are only "woke" on the exterior.

Yes and #grammycorruption is a big problem. One would have thought that many issues had been addressed but, yes, it continues.

I am outraged that Ms. Dugan, a reformer, was canned before she could get real reform underway.

Nominations and voting is affected. That is the dismal state of the organization.

I call for the executive committee and all trustees to resign now.

I am a former national trustee, Vice President of the organization, and decades long Chicago board member.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Grammy nominations have been "curated" by the Back Room Boys forever. How is this suddenly news? As for the actual final voting, all I can say is that when my wife worked for a big label, every person there who qualified was a voting NARAS member. That was probably a couple hundred people in her office alone.

The mystery to me is how NARAS has managed to hang onto its Non-Profit status.

Sour grapes because the nominee I worked on last year didn't win? Naw. In fact, I can't wait to find out how much I'll get to pay for my Certificate of Participation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
In fact, I can't wait to find out how much I'll get tbo pay for my Certificate of Participation.
If you are a voting member, you pay the princely sum of $0 for your certificate...

All the best
Mark
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
If you are a voting member, you pay the princely sum of $0 for your certificate...

All the best
Mark
Since I'm not, I reckon the sum will be more like "kingly."
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am 100% in agreement with Jim Williams assessment of the 2020 Grammys. There was a time, many years ago, that that the Grammy award show was an orderly well produced review of the best musical performances of the past year. Over the past 25 years it has progressively evolved into more of a counter culture celebration than a musical awards show. Jim's observation pursuant to Lavato's performance as a stand alone smashing success speaks more to the fact that most of the production numbers were not in her class as a performer and would not pass the average American's bar of acceptance. Over the top "T & A" and profuse potty language is the trademark of low talent desperation. If this is the academy's learned position of the current status of the cutting edge of our American musical culture: retro movements like the Americana genre will grow exponentially. This may well be where the major labels have deeply vested interests however it is not on the play list of anyone that I know!
Hugh
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I went out and got some great Mexican food instead. I think I made the logical choice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I went out and got some great Mexican food instead. I think I made the logical choice.
The kind of thing DVR's were made for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry. Who really cares?

The Daytime Emmys hold more import.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The kind of thing DVR's were made for.
Only if you care. And it's not like I didn't USED to care. I got one of those things. Actually.....a couple. But at the risk of causing a ****storm, the show had turned into a joke over the years.
Old 2 weeks ago
I still like the show for those rare gems, worth the crap in between. Next time I'll use the DVR to skip through the booty call. As to NARAS, I cannot support a corrupt organization, otherwise you become an enabler of that behavior = more of the same. I could not change the Recording Academy's behavior so I stopped paying for it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't see any posts from Brent Hahn because he is on my ignore list.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I don't see any posts from Brent Hahn because he is on my ignore list.
Not that anyone asked.

If I had you on Ignore, Hudson, I'd have missed that gem a few hours ago about the Grammy Producer and his "nihilistic ghetto." (It was gone in a flash.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search