The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Consecutive serial numbers and pair matching
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear
Consecutive serial numbers and pair matching

https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/in...html#msg122443

Interesting discussion about the likelihood of consecutively numbered mics having matched performance
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Good point Mark (and amplified in that thread also).

Additionally, you could argue that pair matching (on that precise level) is less relevant for spaced omnis or spot mics at all, and really only becomes significant when a pair are used together coincident-ly (or near coincident), as it's intrinsic to the creation of a stereo image via angling and spacing and the polar characteristics of that pair ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i know that for some folks these topics are of great concern...

for me: njet! for the same reasons mentioned by other posters in the linked threads - fun fact: today, i got a pair of old km84's back from repair. they are just four numbers apart but got used in vastly different environments for decades and one capsule had serious dents... - they now measure almost identically.

'matched by age', a whole new paradigm! :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a similar situation here as what Mark described in the thread he linked to (just without as many mics). I've never worried about whether they were "matched" or not. I find that more often than not, the acoustic issues in a particular place in space (including imbalances of a performing group or instrument) makes a far larger difference to the even portrayal of a stereo pair than the electronic matching of those mics.

--Ben
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Makes great marketing copy when selling. Like a Grammy award when spruiking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search