The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DPA Binaural headset mic
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear
DPA Binaural headset mic

Here's a new set of DPA binaural mics, using a pair of 4060 capsules: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wW11ST...&index=14&t=0s
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Here's a new set of DPA binaural mics, using a pair of 4060 capsules: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wW11ST...&index=14&t=0s
reminds of the activities of a well-known local music enthusiast of sneaking in a pair of cos-11 mics attached to his glasses to record live shows many years ago - the recorder was much more difficult to hide back then as it is now...

...so: no doubt this new mic system is a nice little gadget but i fear it will contribute to more bootlegs of reasonable quality showing up shortly!
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear
I doubt there's even a "bootleg industry" in the 2020's....not like the 70's and 80's ? Nobody will confuse an audience earbuds live recording with an official live album, and everybody with an iphone and a YouTube account are the 'lawbreakers'....odd, because nobody's siphoning off any earnings from the music stars with those awful quality uploads anyhow
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear

it's not so much the commerical impact (if any) of bootlegs* which bugs me:

the reason i'm a bit sensitive to the topic is that while it's quite easy for everyone to tell a crappy recording made via cell phone from a desk mix or a professionally produced brodcast or studio mix, once the gear used for 'live taping' becomes better by a magnitude (such as in this case), people seem to be willing to adopt the relatively simple recording as a 'fact' - while i as a live sound engineer consinder the slightly better yet still crappy recording to be damaging my reputation; i'll be facing exactly this situation again in april when i'm mixing at a blues festival here in town!

most hi-profile bands don't like this much either - while for newbie bands a simple path to bumping up recordings can be a blessing...

on the positive side, this new mic system can maybe help to change perspective for everyone who either believes that binaural is far superior to any other method in terms of capturing the reality or those who so far dismissed it as being unsuitable for recording which will get played back via speakers...

*and i better should have written 'unauthorized recordings' to avoid confusion - mea culpa!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 25th January 2020 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear
Tech and [bad] human nature have resolved a lot of business notions in a predictable direction. Clearly, the writing is on the wall here as well.

Somewhere in the future you will doubtless see a networked [likely AI-driven] service that works out a truly impressive mix from users distributed around the venue. The algebra of such microphone arrays [at least to a techie software dev guy] is very compelling.

Ya Got Trouble in River City,

Ray H.
Old 25th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
Tech and [bad] human nature have resolved a lot of business notions in a predictable direction. Clearly, the writing is on the wall here as well.

Somewhere in the future you will doubtless see a networked [likely AI-driven] service that works out a truly impressive mix from users distributed around the venue. The algebra of such microphone arrays [at least to a techie software dev guy] is very compelling.

Ya Got Trouble in River City,

Ray H.
trouble is that 'tech and [bad] human nature' have not only 'resolved a lot of business notions in a predictable direction' but - if looking at things from my field of expertise (when not working in music) - have the potential to destroy human (and other) nature beyond believe so yeah, i'm concerned - not about being replaced as an engineer though!

greetings from the old world - not from the river city but davos (and soon munich)!

p.s. pretty sure the ai-driven über-tech will be missing something: (possibly) nuclear driven sub arrays in the giga-watt range for (acoustically and otherwise) extended fun :-)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 05:55 PM.. Reason: specs added...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search