The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mourning the Schoeps MK4 😢
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Mourning the Schoeps MK4 ?

Tonight, while packing up at Cadogan Hall here in London, I was unscrewing my MK4 capsule off of the RC700 tube I use on some of the wind section and, bang, I dropped the capsule!!!

There is the smallest, and it really is small, bend/dent on the threaded bit of the capsule (can't believe it must have landed on this but which is the lightest part...) And now won't screw onto any of my CMC6 bodies.

Does anybody have any ideas OTHER than sending it back to Schoeps?

My gut says just force it on and it will 'correct' itself.
My head says I'll just **** up the thread on the body too...

Help please.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Admittedly not precision German meisterkonstruktion, but one of the omni capsules on my Rode NT55 pair has a slight flat spot on the thread (inflicted by a previous owner) and I have to be very careful when screwing it on, but once the threads engage a couple of turns, all is well and the very thin wall of the capsule seem to conform to the more robust male thread on the body. I assume if you send a 'dented' capsule back, they put the innards in a new 'shell'? Probably pricey but worth it on a Schoeps...
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

I would send to Schoeps and certainly not screw it onto anything, further damage is assured.

When I was talking to Schoeps about purchasing the B&K calibrator inserts for my MK2 to use them on some engineering acoustics work, they said I needed to move the nextel capsule casing to a nickel casing to fit and seal correctly inside the calibrator insert. They told me this was a relatively inexpensive exercise, as was getting any nextel re-done. I didn't go ahead for other reasons.

The message being that if the capsule is undamaged you can get a new nextel housing for a reasonable cost. But I would only trust Schoeps with this decision.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 22nd January 2020 at 06:28 AM..
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

+1 on sending it to Schoeps. If your heads are like mine, I need a good excuse to send them in and they always seem to come back with a little tweek that brings them back to calibration. I try, now, to send them in, a few at a time every three or four (or five ) years. They often need some little clean up.

D.
Old 22nd January 2020
I find the Schoeps threads to be pretty finicky and delicate in general, and wouldn’t suggest forcing the cap on and possibly getting it stuck or worse wrecking the amp threads .

Sucks to have to stomach the repair bill, but at least then you’ll know it’s in fine shape and ready to go.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Tonight, while packing up at Cadogan Hall here in London, I was unscrewing my MK4 capsule off of the RC700 tube I use on some of the wind section and, bang, I dropped the capsule!!!

There is the smallest, and it really is small, bend/dent on the threaded bit of the capsule (can't believe it must have landed on this but which is the lightest part...) And now won't screw onto any of my CMC6 bodies.

Help please.
I had one like this that I messed with (bent) until I could get it back on the CMC body, and used it just fine for a few years. Eventually the capsule started sounding bad and so got a "German vacation". As usual for Schoeps, the capsule came back looking and sounding brand new. So eventually your capsule will have to "go home" for a bit.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Surely sending an item back to the manufacturer for repair is ideal, but it might be possible that a good jeweler or a good instrument repair person could address a minor dent in a round metal tube. Just a thought....
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Surely sending an item back to the manufacturer for repair is ideal, but it might be possible that a good jeweler or a good instrument repair person could address a minor dent in a round metal tube. Just a thought....
Exactly Mr. Norman!

I had a Neumann SG389 swivel mount I bought used for a U89 and upon arrival, it was evident that it had been dropped and bent in a similar manner. It would not thread onto the base of the U89. I took it to a handy tooling friend who was able to take a plastic dowel and gently bend the brass back to round and now it’s good as new.

While the capsule is different and MUCH more delicate, a jeweler MIGHT be able to gently restore it’s rounded w/o damaging the capsule. I fear if you send it to the manufacturer, they might just say you are SOL and recommend a new capsule. That may or may not be necessary. Maybe an email with pics to the manufacturer first to see if they would make a go at a repair and if they say they can’t, try the jeweler route?
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I fear if you send it to the manufacturer, they might just say you are SOL and recommend a new capsule. That may or may not be necessary.
I think Schoeps are very trustworthy.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

And because they are serious, they'll probably also check the capsule, in case...
Old 22nd January 2020
0VU
Gear Addict

Send it back to Schoeps. Their repair prices are very resonable (compared to the price of the capsule) and their service is excellent.

Definitely don't try to force the capsule onto any other kit as the threads are very fine and easily damaged. Your head is right - forcing it generally doesn't make it correct itself and just gets you two damaged threads instead of one. It only takes a tiny imperfection in the shape of the thread or housing to stop it working.

Schoeps can repair or replace the housing or the entire capsule and it is cheaper than you might expect. And apart from the damage to the housing, a drop that causes damage to the body of the capsule could well have knocked something out of kilter on the working parts so whilst it might still give a signal it might not be working to spec and a repair and recal would be in order.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I think Schoeps are very trustworthy.
I do too, I would only attempt a jeweler/DIY rescue if the vendor couldn’t or wouldn’t fix it.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

No vendor repairs--if you are desperate and need the mic right now you do what you have to do, but eventually the thing has to go home to Germany. The only real downside to sending the mic off (via Redding) is how long it will take to get it back. At this time of year, the wait is considerable. Pete Verrando can do CMC body repairs, to a component level, and Redding sells replacement body tubes for a reasonable price, but capsules gotta go home to be fixed.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Just bypass Redding and send your whole mic to Schoeps via US mail.
This usually is a very good method and avoids any customs duty.

Contact after sales service to advise them you are sending the mic to them.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Addict

Show us a picture of the damage. If it is not an extreme case chances are you can fix the dented housing yourself. Try backing out the retaining C clip using a pair of C clip plier. If you can fully unscrew the C clip out, you would have just fixed the dent. You might also want to try using an expanding mandrel.

However, if the capsule was also damaged due to impact from the drop, send it back to the maker.

Good luck.
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Nut

Just send it to the UK distributors, they're only in Marlow. Or take a scenic day trip and lunch at The Compleat Angler!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Help please.
Davey - send it to Schoeps. Their service is very reasonable, and you won't risk further damage to a body or a capsule.

I had a pair of mk4's (one with stripped threads!) that I sent back for service after nearly 15 years. They fixed the bad threads and cleaned up and re-calibrated the capsules; it cost only a few hundred dollars, and they sound as good as new.

Over the years, I've had to deal with numerous mic manufacturers regarding repairs & service, and I can say without hesitation that Schoeps service is second to none, and their rates are extremely reasonable. Take advantage of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

thanks so much for the replies! The day after I posted I sat down a gentle eased the capsule back into shape. It was such a tiny dent that I thought I'd give it a go - I figured the worst that would happen is I make the capsule worse and it still wont go onto the body - but I figured this wouldn't make the repair any more expensive if I was going to need a new housing for the capsule either way.

Anyway, it goes onto the body now quite easily - not as smoothly as it did before but it goes on nicely and I'm detecting no change in the capsule freq. response or sensitivity.

Worry over, FOR NOW!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks so much for the replies! The day after I posted I sat down a gentle eased the capsule back into shape. It was such a tiny dent that I thought I'd give it a go - I figured the worst that would happen is I make the capsule worse and it still wont go onto the body - but I figured this wouldn't make the repair any more expensive if I was going to need a new housing for the capsule either way.

Anyway, it goes onto the body now quite easily - not as smoothly as it did before but it goes on nicely and I'm detecting no change in the capsule freq. response or sensitivity.

Worry over, FOR NOW!
always work on a desktop/table with some cloth on it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Just bypass Redding and send your whole mic to Schoeps via US mail.
This usually is a very good method and avoids any customs duty.

Contact after sales service to advise them you are sending the mic to them.
I didn't know we could do that! Thanks! I've using Redding and waiting....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I didn't know we could do that! Thanks! I've using Redding and waiting....
I did that with several mics a couple years back. I think I sent in 4 for repair. Whole thing including shipping was done in less than 2 weeks. The repairs were very reasonable, but the shipping was quite expensive. Then to add insult to the process, the FedEx customs agents charged me import duties (even though it wasn't warranted, but hey- you can't contest them)

--Ben
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Then to add insult to the process, the FedEx customs agents charged me import duties (even though it wasn't warranted, but hey- you can't contest them) --Ben
Very frustrating. Item 16 in the following link defines the duty as free for repaired goods coming back into Australia.
https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exp...iff/schedule-4

It might pay to challenge the authorities in the future if a similar ruling is an option in the US.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search