The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps cmc1 vs cmc6
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Head

Schoeps cmc1 vs cmc6

Hi! Anyone had a chance to compare the new schoeps cmc1 preamp with a cmc6 preamp on classical recordings? Do the new cmc1 sound the same or better? I am buying a pair of mk21 to use as a stereopair and would like to keep them as discrete as possible. (Without compromise in the sound )
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Head

By odd coincidence I also have been planning to purchase a matched pair of CMC621's..and just found out about the new CMC1 as well. I will be using them for close micing of acoustic guitar.
I am also dying to know if there are any differences.
According to Schoeps...they have a little bit higher soundpressure level, better RF ..with no sound quality differences.
I would suspect that the smaller body size might even help with openness as there is less body interfering with frequencies, as well as the capsules polar design.
As always....when a new product is introduced, I am a bit scarred to make the leap of faith. Except, my gut says it is Schoeps..and when Schoeps makes a change it is for real and for good cause.
Possibly the two of us together can work to find out more. I will PM you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BUMP
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I did call and talk talk to Schoeps USA distributor. They seem to think that the advantages are size and not of sonic value.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThousandMics View Post
I did call and talk talk to Schoeps USA distributor. They seem to think that the advantages are size and not of sonic value.
I just ordered the CMC6 pair. It was around $300 cheaper than CMC1s. At this level it’s better to pay up and get what you want if you want the smaller package.

There always seems to be some anxiety ridden decision that has to be made when buying anything. Ugh!!

I think the larger size will be easier to track in the studio and less likely to be trampled or stolen. Not sure if I made the beat decision but it’s done.

The CMC1 will probably hold its value better if you ever have to sell cause it’s so new and everyone who likes schoeps seems to have CMC6.

Not sure if I made the right decision but I wrestled with it and it’s done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I just ordered the CMC6 pair. It was around $300 cheaper than CMC1s. At this level it’s better to pay up and get what you want if you want the smaller package.

There always seems to be some anxiety ridden decision that has to be made when buying anything. Ugh!!

I think the larger size will be easier to track in the studio and less likely to be trampled or stolen. Not sure if I made the beat decision but it’s done.

The CMC1 will probably hold its value better if you ever have to sell cause it’s so new and everyone who likes schoeps seems to have CMC6.

Not sure if I made the right decision but I wrestled with it and it’s done.
I think you did make the right decision Drockfresh, fear not.
If there is not a sonic advantage, then why pay the extra amount? The smaller size will only make a difference to those in Motion Picture industry.
Where did you purchase your Schoeps from?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThousandMics View Post
I think you did make the right decision Drockfresh, fear not.
If there is not a sonic advantage, then why pay the extra amount? The smaller size will only make a difference to those in Motion Picture industry.
Where did you purchase your Schoeps from?
I ordered from Atlas Pro Audio. Nathan was awesome to work with.

I had looked at a used deal on tapersection but these mics *really* hold value

I also heard from Schoeps who confirmed the CMC6 will continue to be made because

“the CMC 6 still has its advantages. E.g., in the studio, the larger size often is easier to handle.“

So all is good. Feel waaaay better and can’t wait to get to work !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And if you really need a small size, schoeps offers a ton of great accessories to make the size smaller. The active cables are great for that- separate the capsule from the body.

--Ben
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search