The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonosax SX-M2D2 - how practical?
Old 1 week ago
Sonosax SX-M2D2 - how practical?

I learned about the SX-M2D2 here (@Plush). While it looks like a cool unit and the price seems right, I was wondering if it would be right for me.

This year, I want to buy a clean stereo preamp (up from one Grace M101) and an ADC that's better than my RME Fireface UCX (distant second priority). Both will be used for remote binaural recording and at home. I prefer small, portable units and want detented or stepped pots.

The SX-M2D2 I think would be a great combo unit but after reading the manual, I'm wondering if there aren't too many compromises:
  • Mini-XLR so adapters needed
  • No 44.1 kHz
  • Menu diving (no idea if good or bad)
  • Digital out is XLR -- would have preferred coax S/PDIF TBH

For those that have the SX-M2D2 -- is it the combo unit?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

An excellent unit for sure!

It has the top sound available today. The best mic amps in the world and the best conversion in the world.
It does have stepped pots
It operates on batteries which is always the most quiet powering source and the most useable and convenient.

Please note:

The unit does require the user to study the manual and to practice with the machine to learn it. There IS a learning curve.

Various menus take a while to learn and get used to.

No 44.1KHz. is no big deal because sample rate conversion is so good these days.

I don't have a problem with the adaptors. Once you are equipped, they all fit in your small bag with no problems.

Currently, I am getting the best sound in the world when I use the SONOSAX M2D2 to record onto my iPhone. I use the Apogee app and an Apple Camera adaptor to use the M2D2 via a USB connection onto the iPhone.
Old 1 week ago
It sounds like it replaced a bit of kit for you, @ Plush ?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
  • No 44.1 kHz
After one gig, I think you wouldn't even care about these things any more. The quality, compactness, and features seem perfect for you! I now carry a couple Mini-XLR adapter cables (my first ones ever) for the Sonosax SX-R4+, and it's easy-peasy. I've also adapted coax SPDIF to XLR for the Dangerous Source monitor control. Wouldn't hesitate to go the other way if you need to backup to something coax.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
I've also adapted coax SPDIF to XLR for the Dangerous Source monitor control.
I do the same coax to XLR thing with my Genelec 8340s. But I heard it's not guaranteed to work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Plush;14441888]
It operates on batteries which is always the most quiet powering source a[/U]

Plush, have you ever used it with the Hirose connector to hear the difference in noise when powered from AC?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I learned about the SX-M2D2 here (@Plush). While it looks like a cool unit and the price seems right, I was wondering if it would be right for me.

This year, I want to buy a clean stereo preamp (up from one Grace M101) and an ADC that's better than my RME Fireface UCX (distant second priority). Both will be used for remote binaural recording and at home. I prefer small, portable units and want detented or stepped pots.

The SX-M2D2 I think would be a great combo unit but after reading the manual, I'm wondering if there aren't too many compromises:
  • No 44.1 kHz

For those that have the SX-M2D2 -- is it the combo unit?
I recently started working with mini XLR (also referred to as TA3) and they are not as delicate as I thought they would be. The film guys on some pretty unforgiving locations use them daily. They are a pain to solder and takes some practice. I made 3 foot lengths so that they can be properly strain relieved. You want XLR (balanced) on AES in case you need long cable runs. 44.1 sample rate is waning, even though I'll admit I'm probably one of the last pro guys who use it all, albeit on only one client!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
The film guys on some pretty unforgiving locations use them daily.
The film guys really must be quite discreet because I didn't even know mini-XLR existed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The film guys really must be quite discreet because I didn't even know mini-XLR existed.
The Sound Devices 788 requires TA3’s for analog inputs 5-8 and analog ouputs 1,2,3,4 and AES 1/2 and 3/4. So yes TA3’s (mini-XLR’s) have been used for a long time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I sometimes wish history had gone differently, so that mini-XLR was the norm and what we know as 'regular XLR' was the oddity or exception !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I sometimes wish history had gone differently, so that mini-XLR was the norm and what we know as 'regular XLR' was the oddity or exception !
...until you went to solder up some cables...they're almost as annoying as 1/8" 'stereo' plugs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
...until you went to solder up some cables...they're almost as annoying as 1/8" 'stereo' plugs
for the latter, manufacturers should get crucified!

anyway, big fan of d-sub25 here (except that the yamaha pin out for aes is pointless) - i'm not doing any film shootings though...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Don S;14442541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
It operates on batteries which is always the most quiet powering source a[/U]

Plush, have you ever used it with the Hirose connector to hear the difference in noise when powered from AC?
No, I have only operated on a battery. It uses one vape type battery. The unit is always very very quiet, so I doubt that one would hear ANY difference if powered from an AC supply.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

A question about the SX-M2D2 dynamic range. I read that the SX-R4+ dynamic range of 135dB is limited in the USA version to 114dB because of patent issues. Is the SX-M2D2 also limited in the US version?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

No, it is not limited. It has the full 135dB range.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, it is not limited. It has the full 135dB range.
Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
For what it's worth I do notice a difference in sound between R4+/AD8+ preamps and M2D2; the latter having a more 'hifi' sound, with slightly brighter upper, slightly lighter lower ends, and a touch harsher in general.

Last edited by AdamAsnan; 4 days ago at 01:18 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Digital out is XLR -- would have preferred coax S/PDIF TBH
Balanced AES3 carries wordclock as part of the data stream. The M2D2 doesn't offer a wordclock out, so connecting to unbalanced sources could exhibit some discrepancy in quantization
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAsnan View Post
For what it's worth I do notice a difference in sound between R4+/AD8+ preamps and M2D2; the latter having a more 'hifi' sound, with slightly brighter upper, slightly lighter lower ends, and a touch harsher in general.
That’s disappointing to hear.
Old 2 days ago
For those that have the unit, could you maybe do the loopback test here on GS? Instructions at the bottom here.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

We have already qualified the unit for you.

Buy it today with confidence.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search